+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Licensed to Mod

My 2005 ZRX1200R Project - Suggestions Welcome

Hello Fellow Rex owners!

I'm new here, and new to owning a Rex. I've wanted one for about 10 years, and finally treated myself to one last August. I love this bike! It's a green 2005 1200cc.

So now I want to start modding it. I want Hp!

I've been talking to Pete A. (Kwick), and he has set me on a path.

I'm going to list all the things I want to do, and if anyone's got more ideas or encouragement, please feel free to let me know.

Here goes. These are the things I plan to do:

1) 1224cc Big Bore kit. Block bored, 12.5:1 JE pistons, and Cometic Head Gasket from APE (zxzone.com). (received)

2) Yoshimura ST-1 Camshafts (Yoshimura pt# 211-299-0100). (received)

3) Authentic, new, Kawasaki ZX11D, ZZR1200 Dual-Spring Valve Springs, c/w inner bottom washers. (installed)

4) New Valve Seals. (installed)

5) New Valve Cover Gasket. (received)

6) No'Flo! Exhaust Air Injection Plug kit from kwickstand.net. (received)

7) Head ported by Short Block Charlie to Kwick's specifications (very aggressive port job). (complete)

8) ZX11D ECU (Kawasaki PN 21119-1386). (received)

9) ZX11D +2 Advancer from kwickstand.net (received)

10) ZX11D Ignition Diode Pack from kwickstand.net (received)

11) Swingarm Bracing from kwickstand.net (complete)

12) Mo'Flo! c/w ZX11D 40mm Carb Set, from kwickstand.net (received)

13) ZRX Slipper Clutch from kwickstand.net (received)

14) Manual Fuel Petcock from kwickstand.net (received)

15) Starter/Alternator Chain Tension Tamer from kwickstand.net (received)

16) Clutch-side Case Gasket. (received)

17) Manual Cam Chain Tensioner from kwickstand.net (received)

18) Greg Couch ZRX1100 Front Fork Brace. (received)

19) Ohlins SD001 steering damper. (received)

20) Ohlins KA149 rear shocks/springs. (received)

21) Striker Racing Concept Titanium 4-2-1 Full Exhaust System. (received)

22) Timing Cover Gasket. (received)

23) Cylinder Block Base Gasket. (received)

24) Ohlins FS821Z Front Forks. (received)

25) Dymag CA5 carbon fibre front wheel - 3.50" x 17". (received)

26) Dymag CA5 carbon fibre rear wheel - 6.00" x 17", c/w 45T sprocket (going with a 17T driver). (received)

27) Greg Crouch Mounting Kit for Ohlins SD001 steering damper. (received)

28) Spare ZRX Seat Bracket/Latch Plate from Greg Crouch (to use on new Corbin seat). (received)

29) Stainless Pan-to-Head, and Lower Stainless Oil Lines from Greg Crouch. (received)

30) Greg Crouch Valve Cover Block-off Plates. (received)

31) Greg Crouch Aluminum Oil Rail. (received)

32) Corbin Gunfighter and Lady Seat. (received)

33) ZX11D ECU Adaptor Harness from NakedFun. (received)

34) New 17 tooth driver sprocket. (ordered)

35) Black and Gold #530 drive chain. (ordered)

36) RAD Radiator from kwickstand.net (received)

37) Radiator Bracket Set from kwickstand.net (received)

38) KWICK Kill from kwickstand.net (received)

39) Steel Braided Front and Rear Brake Lines

The bike is going to begin going back together this Friday (August 19, 2016)!!!!!!

Rob Manning (Worsel)
    Last edited by Worsel; 08-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Legal Eagle

Re: My 2005 ZRX1200R Project - Suggestions Welcome

Congrats on your "new" bike

Looks like quite a list of mods you have planned. My suggestion is to get that all done and ride the damn thing

SUPER COMMANDO

What about your suspension ZX14 or ZX10 front end , and Ohlin rears ? Lighter wheels ? Your performance list looks complete .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

I love boobies!!!

Quite the list, especially if you do it all at once.
    CURRENT ZRX PICTURE CHALLENGE!: [url]
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?336273-ZRX-Picture-Challenge-Game-Vol.-VIII!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
    Giggity!!!!
    ZRX oil filters:
    Napa- 4941
    Fram-CH6012
    K&N-KN-401
    Purolator-L14612

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome.
    And to protect it all don't forget the KwickKill tip over switch.
    And a new oring for your petcock.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Hooligan

I've recently been down a similar path with the addition of ohlins suspension allround, brembo monobock brakes, marchesini wheels and minuki TMR-MJN flatslide carbs. The tuning of the carbs are challenges which I am still working through. Other than that the handling upgrades are worth every penny (haven't done the bracing) I'm not feeling the limits of the chassis but I have not had it on the track yet. Although with geometry changes and an extra 50hp a steering damper may be required, as you are planning. I'll play with the suspension a little more before i commit to that.

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Welcome to the Party Pal.gif
Views: 1677
Size:  318.6 KB
    Open your wallet / credit card WIDE!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

President of the ZRXOA

Watch out for KWICK's evil laugh. That mod list will get longer when you hear it.

He really messed up my inital list for my 2005 greenie. To add insult to injury, now I'm addicted to KitKats.
    Last edited by AV80R; 03-19-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Licensed to Mod

Thanks everyone.

Sydrex / Npn: I'm gonna look into front end stuff. Do you guys suggest the ZX14 or ZX10 front end, or is there an Ohlins still available?

Sydrex: As far as brakes go, is there a brembo front and rear wheel setup?

Zarex: I was gonna remember that o-ring, but decided to just go with a new manual petcock instead.

Sydrex / Npn: Will new lighter rims (Marchesini) use the same rubber (I just replaced)?

I forgot to include on my list the new Striker 4-2-1 Titanium Racing Exhaust I just ordered from webike.net Japan, as well as the Ohlin rear shocks/springs I ordered a while back.

President of the ZRXOA

Are you planning on running the Striker muffler? If not, there is a cheaper way than Webike to get the header/mid and buy your own muffler later.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

In Charge of McGov Only

What kind of riding do you do and do you have a background of riding super high HP bikes?

BadAss Hooligan

7k easy.....
    And it still not done...lol
    Thats out from the suspension budget.
    Stop by in Smokeypoint CYCLE BARN in Washington, you live by close by me.
    I ride to whistler a lot of time

Licensed to Mod

AV80R: I already bought the Striker 4-2-1 Ti FULL Exhaust, although Kwick said there are some other cans available. Any suggestions?

Ca Pete: I have not owned a high Hp street bike before; just this stock ZRX1200R, but I have ridden dirtbikes quite aggressively for a lot of years (I have owned a KTM 300EXC, KTM 300XC-W, and currently a KTM 500EXC). Also, I own a 1974 Norton 850 Commando MkII (it's now a 920cc). I've had an old triple 2-stroke Suzuki, and a 1000cc Suzuki GS. I'm an aggressive street rider (when appropriate), but may have some opportunities coming up to take Rex to a track, just for fun.

I'm on the webike.net site looking at Marchesini wheels. Both options are forged aluminum. Can anyone tell me the difference between the M10S Competition EVO, and the M7RS Genesi? The Genesi is slightly more money. Is it indeed better?

Also, what is the width and diameter of our stock rear rim? These Marchesini's come in 5.50-17 and 6.00-17. What are reasons for going with either one? Are there problems with going 6.00? Benefits with going 5.50?

Can I re-use my stock calipers and discs with these rims?
    OR
    What front and rear calipers and discs and mounting kits should I consider purchasing?

BadAss Hooligan

Cool Re: My 2005 ZRX1200R Project - Suggestions Welcome

KEIHIN FCR 39 YOSHI SPEC

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome aboard... Good luck with your mods.... You already see the value of the member here knowing what works best!

Congrats on owning one of the best bikes Kawasaki ever built... For sure one that will lots of attention where ever you go.

I love boobies!!!

Reading this guys posts, I feel like flying-Dave is back...

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?336273-ZRX-Picture-Challenge-Game-Vol.-VIII!!

Giggity!!!!
    ZRX oil filters:
    Napa- 4941
    Fram-CH6012
    K&N-KN-401
    Purolator-L14612

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Worsel View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Sydrex / Npn: I'm gonna look into front end stuff. Do you guys suggest the ZX14 or ZX10 front end, or is there an Ohlins still available?

Sydrex: As far as brakes go, is there a brembo front and rear wheel setup?

Zarex: I was gonna remember that o-ring, but decided to just go with a new manual petcock instead.

Sydrex / Npn: Will new lighter rims (Marchesini) use the same rubber (I just replaced)?

I forgot to include on my list the new Striker 4-2-1 Titanium Racing Exhaust I just ordered from webike.net Japan, as well as the Ohlin rear shocks/springs I ordered a while back.
    Worsel, I bought ohlins forks from Webike 12 months ago, I'm assuming they are still available. I got Brembo monoblocks of Ebay, you will need an mount bracket depending on what forks you get. You can get monoblocks in either 100mm or 108mm pitch. I got the 100mm which has a more limited range of mount brackets available, so i would probaly look at 108mm. I got a brembo rear brake with bracket of ebay. My marcheni are the evo ones with 6 inch rear. No problem fitting them not sure if the other model is better? The larger rear tire in theory will turn slower. All i have noticed is a great improvement as I did wheels, lowered the forks 5mm and put ohlins on the rear which have 10mm ride hight over stock. Here's pretty much what I ended up with.
    Attached Images        

Two wheeled FREAK

I would recommend the Ohlins KA416 over the KA149. Much better compression valving and control. You give up the hydraulic preload adjuster (which IMO is just bling), and gain the better compression circuit.

Ok, K-Tech has excellent Razor IV shocks...

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    I would recommend the Ohlins KA416 over the KA149. Much better compression valving and control. You give up the hydraulic preload adjuster (which IMO is just bling), and gain the better compression circuit.

Ok, K-Tech has excellent Razor IV shocks...
    I agree with steve516 on the shocks, I bought the KA149 unaware of the limited compression damping control.

Two wheeled FREAK

I would not run 20w50 unless you live in the south west near Pete.

I don't think you need to spend extra for the Ti exhaust - same one in stainless is fine.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Licensed to Mod

Japan Web Bike shows the Ohlin FS821ZB for $2009.25, and that they have 1 left.

Is this a set of two forks, or must you buy two of them for $4018.50?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I must make sure.
    Last edited by Worsel; 03-19-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Two wheeled FREAK

It is a pair of forks... you can usually choose gold or black (so they may have more of one etc). I would imagine they can restock fairly quickly regardless.

You can also take a look at the exchange rate and see if you want to hold off. They were down to $17xx last year when the dollar was even stronger.

Greg Couch makes a very nice fork brace. You need to get an 1100 fork brace to fit Ohlins forks FYI (regardless of what your bike may be). See his section on the Members Products area.

Steering Damper - Again, Greg Couch makes a very nice bracket set up - which will accept an Ohlins or other brand damper.

Two wheeled FREAK

I work for Orient Express - we are the US Importer for Dymag - the forged aluminum UP7X is an amazing wheel and as light as most magnesium wheels. Another option is the carbon fiber CA5 - even lighter and lower MOI... Both are priced below the Marchesini wheels.

If you want to save some money - the best deal going on forged aluminum wheels that I am aware of is the Galespeed wheels (assorted styles) starting around $1300 a set from Webike...

BadAss Hooligan

Remember all of this top dollar items and parts will not make you faster and better handling then any modern liter bike roll out from show room regardless the brands.
    We are doing this because we love ZRX and passion into ZRX.
    Yes it will cheaper to buy new liter bike and it will be faster and possible better handling then any build ZRX in this forum (natural aspirated).

I will believe some member would say his zrx faster and a liter bike out there, with all respect newer liter bike could reach 200hp shy with just right dyno tuning and re-flash ECU.

Just a friendly reminder, with all money you will spend close to new liter bike in the end you done build the ZRX, you will get way less then a newer liter bike.
    However again we love ZRX and doing what we are doing.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by fabadi View Post
    Remember all of this top dollar items and parts will not make you faster and better handling then any modern liter bike roll out from show room regardless the brands.
    Yes it will cheaper to buy new liter bike and it will be faster and possible better handling then any build ZRX in this forum (natural aspirated).

I will believe some member would say his zrx faster and a liter bike out there, with all respect newer liter bike could reach 200hp shy with just right dyno tuning and re-flash ECU.

Just a friendly reminder, with all money you will spend close to new liter bike in the end you done build the ZRX, you will get way less then a newer liter bike.
    Yes, this is true but the ZRX can be made to perform quite nicely and a good rider will have to work to find its limits. That same rider will just have to work harder to find those limits on a modern liter sports bike, if he finds them at all.
    As far as the wow factor is concerned, on bike night the ZRX bows it's head to nobody.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    on bike night the ZRX bows it's head to nobody.
    That's sig line material right there.
    02' ORANGE!

Originally Posted by CinKo

"Apparently Titanium to Kawasaki
    Has become what Chrome is to Harley..."

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Ti = Sex

Licensed to Mod

Fabadi:
    Newer bikes may be lighter and have more Hp, but the ZRX has classy hot rod appeal. I graduated from High School in 1983, the height of Eddie Lawson and the unforgettable KZ1000. I wanted one so bad! But being a 17 year old kid with no money, it was just a dream. In the years to come I almost got my hands on one, but fate, being what it is, put me into dirtbikes and my treasured 1974 Norton 850 Commando, another, completely different joy than the Kawasaki KZ1000, but a beauty in it's own right. So I never did get that KZ, but in the early 2000's when I first saw the ZRX I knew I had to have one! Well it took me until 2015, but I got one. I'm not interested in the new bikes, and alot of it has to do with the seating position. I like the partially-sitting position I grew up with. The newer lay-down-on-top riding position is not for me.

So Fabadi, although I appreciate and respect all that the new bikes are, the style of the 1980's Kawasaki's is what I fell in love with, and the ZRX is a dream-come-true; the fact that we can have a bike that looks so much like Eddie Lawson's KZ, with loads of updated modern technology, is really an awesome thing. And I agree with Zarex; finding the limits of the ZRX cannot be an easy task, one that I'm fairly sure I will never do, but having a bike that will always have a little bit more than I can use sounds good to me.

I love boobies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fabadi View Post

If you feel the need to express something that is so obvious to a bunch of freaks like us, you're in the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Worsel View Post
    Fabadi:
    Newer bikes may be lighter and have more Hp, but the ZRX has classy hot rod appeal. I graduated from High School in 1983, the height of Eddie Lawson and the unforgettable KZ1000. I wanted one so bad! But being a 17 year old kid with no money, it was just a dream. In the years to come I almost got my hands on one, but fate, being what it is, put me into dirtbikes and my treasured 1974 Norton 850 Commando, another, completely different joy than the Kawasaki KZ1000, but a beauty in it's own right. So I never did get that KZ, but in the early 2000's when I first saw the ZRX I knew I had to have one! Well it took me until 2015, but I got one. I'm not interested in the new bikes, and alot of it has to do with the seating position. I like the partially-sitting position I grew up with. The newer lay-down-on-top riding position is not for me.

So Fabadi, although I appreciate and respect all that the new bikes are, the style of the 1980's Kawasaki's is what I fell in love with, and the ZRX is a dream-come-true; the fact that we can have a bike that looks so much like Eddie Lawson's KZ, with loads of updated modern technology, is really an awesome thing. And I agree with Zarex; finding the limits of the ZRX cannot be an easy task, one that I'm fairly sure I will never do, but having a bike that will always have a little bit more than I can use sounds good to me.

And besides, on the twisty backroads, where it's fairly ok to do so, a built Rex will atleast keep up with about anything. I had a work bud in town during a plant outage, with his hopped up gsxr1000 and wanted to hit some local twisties. Came by checked out the bikes, not really listening to all that I'd done to bike in the idle conversation. Then we hit the road. Pushed it a little hard back when i wasn't as fearful. After a bit at a stop sign, Pulls up beside me and says, say again what all you did to that thing????

Giggity!!!!
    ZRX oil filters:
    Napa- 4941
    Fram-CH6012
    K&N-KN-401
    Purolator-L14612

BadAss Hooligan

I can respect all of those comments.
    I've got more money in this LTD build than I would have by buying a new ZX14 and doing boltons. I can feel where you're coming from and if you can ride a ZRX or KZ to its limits it seems that you can easily keep up with sport bikes depending on the conditions. Except not many ride old school.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus, she's a heffer.

President of the ZRXOA

Yeah, I could've had my pick of most any bike out there for the $24,184 I have in my ZRX as of today...no regrets here!