+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just Some Random Guy

Re: What all do I need for a valve clearance check and coolant flush?

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    I'm in Newport, outside Blacksburg in SW VA.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up the no-flo plugs, new hoses, and a shim kit as long as budgeting allows. My wallet misses my GS500 where a valve adjustment cost about $30.
    Unfortunately that is about 3 hours from me. If'n you were closer, I'd just stop by on the day you were doing the valves with my shim kit.

Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJohn View Post
    Unfortunately that is about 3 hours from me. If'n you were closer, I'd just stop by on the day you were doing the valves with my shim kit.

Have him stop by your place. Tell him you'll throw in a free power wash .

BadAss Hooligan

Reviving a bit of an old thread. You guys replacing all 3 gasket types when doing valve checks? Just did mine 2 years ago with all fresh rubber, wondering if I should have all 3 waiting again. I could see the main one and spark plug one i guess. Not sure on the bolt gaskets.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    Reviving a bit of an old thread. You guys replacing all 3 gasket types when doing valve checks? Just did mine 2 years ago with all fresh rubber, wondering if I should have all 3 waiting again. I could see the main one and spark plug one i guess. Not sure on the bolt gaskets.
    Some here will say replace all the rubber gaskets every time the cam cover is removed. I've been able to reuse relatively fresh gaskets a couple times without issues. If they are pliable and placed carefully on reassembly they should be OK. On my bikes, or those I work on, if the gaskets are hard, older than a couple years or otherwise questionable I replace them.

On my first ZRX, I reused the original gaskets for 5 years and 4 valve adjustments without leaks, except for one spark plug seal that got knocked loose installing the cam cover. Repositioning it correctly fixed the leak. Nowadays I replace them every other valve adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    Some here will say replace all the rubber gaskets every time the cam cover is removed. I've been able to reuse relatively fresh gaskets a couple times without issues. If they are pliable and placed carefully on reassembly they should be OK. On my bikes, or those I work on, if the gaskets are hard, older than a couple years or otherwise questionable I replace them.

On my first ZRX, I reused the original gaskets for 5 years and 4 valve adjustments without leaks, except for one spark plug seal that got knocked loose installing the cam cover. Repositioning it correctly fixed the leak. Nowadays I replace them every other valve adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

thanks for the input!