+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

What all do I need for a valve clearance check and coolant flush?

Hey all, within the next few months I'll be taking the ZRX out on the road again, but before I do, I'm gonna do a much needed clearance check on the valves and I figure I'll flush the coolant while I have everything off. Thing is, I'll have to do the adjustment at a place where I won't have access to all my usual tools and I'll only have a day or two to get it done, so I want to have everything I need ready beforehand. If you don't mind treating me like I'm 10, anyone got a list of all the tools (and parts like a valve cover gasket) I'll need from start to finish to get everything done smoothly? I know I'm asking a lot, but having all my tools isn't an option. Thanks guys.

Hooligan

Re: What all do I need for a valve clearance check and coolant flush?

the shop manual will help alot
    2000 zrx1100

BadAss Hooligan

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Two wheeled FREAK

1x - 11061-0987 - Gasket, Cylinder Head (Valve cover gasket)
    4x - 11061-0988 - Gasket, Spark Plug (Valve cover holes for plug wells)
    6x - 92055-1352 - Ring-O, Head Cover Bolt (rubber coated washers for VC bolts)

----

I like to clean everything under the tank and around the valve cover as best I can before taking it apart so dirt does not get in the engine by accident as you are working etc.

Drain pain for coolant + empty 1 gallon milk jug - please recycle coolant at a gas station.

Good time as any to check or change the spark plugs as well. Check, clean, adjust plug wires and caps too. I prefer the CR9EIX and they have a much longer life than the standard plugs as well - and basically same price.

Distilled water - 2 gallons - fill and start, flush, then drain. One is good, two is gooder.

Coolant - silicate free - a bit less than 1 gallon. Please note there are two bleeders on the system - make sure to bleed properly.

Tools? I use a pair of jewelers tweezers to put shims back in. I use a small telescopic magnet tool to remove the shims. I have plastic tool that was designed for removing automotive trim etc that I use for sliding and moving the rockers etc.

Taking the tank off - 2x 10mm bolts at rear of tank. Disconnect fuel hose, drain hose, vacuum hose etc. Maybe a pair of needle nose pliers for the clamps.

Radiator hoses - longer phillips for the hose clamps - I think the nuts are 7mm if you prefer that? Can't remember.

Heat shield - slide off the black rubber seals on the sides, remove 1x 10mm head bolt in center. Tilt back and wiggle it out - do not break!

Emissions crap - remove and throw away. Plug airbox, plug valve cover plates or connect two small rubber elbows with a small piece of pipe. Or buy block off plates - several members have them for sale. Plug vacuum line or make new vacuum manifold to go to the OEM petcock.

Valve cover - 6x 10mm head bolts hold it on - very little torque - DO NOT OVER TORQUE these when putting it back together. Buy a small torque wrench if needed.

Coils + wires - I usually remove them so there is less crap in the way... up to you.

Rotating cams - ***With spark plugs removed*** Put bike on rear stand... rotate tire and shift into 5th gear. Once in 5th gear, you can rotate motor by rotating tire. Only rotate tire in normal direction of travel - forward - when rotating motor. If you miss the cylinder you want, just rotate some more. No need to remove the timing/ignition cover etc.

I probably forgot something, but this is most of it.
    Last edited by Steve516; 02-25-2016 at 09:38 AM.

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Two wheeled FREAK

ha ha thanks Harry!!!

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Hooligan

Nice, tons of info. Thanks a bunch guys! I'm sure I'll post up once I've done it as well, but that may be late March or April at this point.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    1x - 11061-0987 - Gasket, Cylinder Head (Valve cover gasket)
    4x - 11061-0988 - Gasket, Spark Plug (Valve cover holes for plug wells)
    6x - 92055-1352 - Ring-O, Head Cover Bolt (rubber coated washers for VC bolts)

Are you stating that new gasket sets are needed every time the valve clearance is checked?

Speaking of gaskets. If the timing cover is removed to allow the engine to be turned over using the crank, a gasket may be needed. Sometimes not, but you just never know if the existing gasket is going to tear when removing that cover.

Also on that note, it should be pointed out that the timing plate "nut" should be used to turn the engine over since it serves only as a cover for the alignment pin. The socket head bolt is what should be used to spin the engine, spinning it clockwise so as not to loosen the bolt.

2009 Hooligan of the year

An alternative to spinning the engine via the timing plate bolt, is to either bump the engine using the starter or spin the engine using the rear wheel with the transmission in 5th.

Two wheeled FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Are you stating that new gasket sets are needed every time the valve clearance is checked?

Speaking of gaskets. If the timing cover is removed to allow the engine to be turned over using the crank, a gasket may be needed. Sometimes not, but you just never know if the existing gasket is going to tear when removing that cover.

Also on that note, it should be pointed out that the timing plate "nut" should be used to turn the engine over since it serves only as a cover for the alignment pin. The socket head bolt is what should be used to spin the engine, spinning it clockwise so as not to loosen the bolt.
    Yes, personally I think it is worth the expense to change all the seals and the valve cover gasket each time. I have seen too many cases of oil in the plug wells or valve cover gaskets leaking (less common) to make it worth while. Especially since most of these bikes are now at least 10 years old - gaskets get hard, don't seal as well, etc. Can you get away with not replacing all of them? Sure... but to me, the time and effort to tear it all apart again, drain the coolant etc, and then replace them after they leaked - not worth it.

Just Some Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    Hey all, within the next few months I'll be taking the ZRX out on the road again, but before I do, I'm gonna do a much needed clearance check on the valves and I figure I'll flush the coolant while I have everything off. Thing is, I'll have to do the adjustment at a place where I won't have access to all my usual tools and I'll only have a day or two to get it done, so I want to have everything I need ready beforehand. If you don't mind treating me like I'm 10, anyone got a list of all the tools (and parts like a valve cover gasket) I'll need from start to finish to get everything done smoothly? I know I'm asking a lot, but having all my tools isn't an option. Thanks guys.
    Where in Virginia are you? I asks 'cause I's gots tools.

Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

BadAss Hooligan

Since you'll have the tank off this is a good time to refurbish your petcock. And while the valve cover is off a good time to get rid of your excess plumbing and install No Flo plugs and plug up your air box.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a shim kit and have it on hand at the same time you're adjusting the valves. They are fairly inexpensive and save a lot of time.
    There is a loaner floating around here but good luck trying to find it.

c10's best friend

If you don't have a service manual, and I didn't see this bit mentioned....after removing the fuel line from the petcock and the 2 bolts from the rear of the tank, lift the rear of the tank enough to get your hand in there and unplug the fuel gauge wires.

I would also be replacing all coolant hoses and clamps if it's been 5 years or more.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    Since you'll have the tank off this is a good time to refurbish your petcock. And while the valve cover is off a good time to get rid of your excess plumbing and install No Flo plugs and plug up your air box.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a shim kit and have it on hand at the same time you're adjusting the valves. They are fairly inexpensive and save a lot of time.
    There is a loaner floating around here but good luck trying to find it.
    http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance...ion_Plugs.html

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJohn View Post
    Where in Virginia are you? I asks 'cause I's gots tools.

I'm in Newport, outside Blacksburg in SW VA.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up the no-flo plugs, new hoses, and a shim kit as long as budgeting allows. My wallet misses my GS500 where a valve adjustment cost about $30.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    I'm in Newport, outside Blacksburg in SW VA.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up the no-flo plugs, new hoses, and a shim kit as long as budgeting allows. My wallet misses my GS500 where a valve adjustment cost about $30.
    That's probably how much my last valve adjustment cost me. As time goes on and everything settles you need less and less.
    Your hoses may well be good. I rebuilt a 1999 for a buddy last year and they were still good. I'm working on a 1986 Honda and was surprised to see how good they are.
    If you're going to replace any hose you should examine the one behind the headers. Beats the hell out of me how that one survives but it does.

BadAss Hooligan

If you're fairly mellow with the bike you can safely adjust to the loose end of the spec. If you are on the red line a lot you should go middle.
    I do mine every 12,000 miles.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post

...timing plate "nut" should NOT be used...

BadAss Hooligan

What all do I need for a valve clearance check and coolant flush?

Quote Originally Posted by klickitatal View Post
    ...timing plate "nut" should NOT be used...
    Hmm Albert , I've had no issues turning the engine with that big nut in the dozens of valve adjusts I've done on a dozen or so different ZRXes. But I do take the spark plugs out. With no compression, in neutral, a big socket turns the engine easily at something like 1 or 2 ft-lb of torque (I'll try to measure it next time). If the center socket head bolt is torqued correctly, there should be no force on the guide pin.

But after the cautions above, I won't use it with spark plugs installed and against compression. Bumping the starter or turning the rear wheel in 5th gear works well in that case.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

Hooligan

Another question for you guys. What size are the shims the 1100 uses? And, if I can't afford a whole kit (looking like they're $150+ on some sites), is there another option? I know I'll be SOL without a full kit when I need to throw new ones in, but I guess the bike could sit for a week while I have individual shims delivered.

Two wheeled FREAK

All ZRX-1100 and 1200 use the same size (diameter) shims = 9.48mm

A full Hot Cams kit is $70-80 or so online.

Single shims from Kawasaki are very expensive. $12+/each retail last time I checked...

Wiseco also makes shims - I have used them in the past as well.

No way to know what you need until you open up the valve cover and start measuring. If you want to be slow and methodical about it, you can measure all the clearances, write them down on the chart, and then see where you can swap shims without needing to replace as much. Then, when you get down to the end, you might only need to purchase a few shims to cover valves that did not find an easy swap.

There is a ZRXOA shim kit floating around somewhere... not sure where it is.

Father Joe

Do some searching for posts on the subject from REXTER. He has a link where you can get the readily anticipated sized shims for, I think, under $60 shipped to your door.

Many will tell you that there's a good chance that you can expect to be able to just swap shims after you take all the readings.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    Hmm Albert , I've had no issues turning the engine with that big nut in the dozens of valve adjusts I've done on a dozen or so different ZRXes. But I do take the spark plugs out. With no compression, in neutral, a big socket turns the engine easily at something like 1 or 2 ft-lb of torque (I'll try to measure it next time). If the center socket head bolt is torqued correctly, there should be no force on the guide pin.

But after the cautions above, I won't use it with spark plugs installed and against compression. Bumping the starter or turning the rear wheel in 5th gear works well in that case.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    It's ok to use that nut as described above, I've had no issues.
    Only this, don't take the spark plugs all the way out in case you drop a shim. I loosen until the last thread is holding them, the compressed air still comes out.

Two wheeled FREAK

I usually stuff each plug well with 1/2 a paper towel after I pull the plugs, or a clean shop rag fits in two at a time.

Father Joe

I usually stuff each plug well with 1/2 a paper towel after I pull the plugs, or a clean shop rag fits in two at a time.
    Yup.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

I was only correcting what I thought was a mistake of a missing "NOT" in Chris's post. That nut is more of a spacer.
    When Mike and Mike helped me do mine for the first time we just used the bump starter method and it worked fine- easy and no need to remove the timing cover.

I was worried about lining up the rotor with the crack in the case, like on old air-cooled VW's -very important. But there is a large circle where the cam is "at rest" and the measuring is actually quite easy.

BadAss Hooligan

Too many rags going on up there and there is still a chance that a shim could make it into the cylinder if it burrows into the rag and you ruffle the rag to retrieve the lost shim.
    There is zero chance if you leave the spark plugs where they are.

Devilsí Advocate

If you EVER break off that pin in the crank, you will learn more cuss words than you know now. After working 8+ on removing it, remember, I stock the pin...it happens quite often...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    If you EVER break off that pin in the crank, you will learn more cuss words than you know now. After working 8+ on removing it, remember, I stock the pin...it happens quite often...
    Im vewy gentle.
    If I do break it I'll take one in titanium.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    Im vewy gentle.
    If I do break it I'll take one in titanium.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Yes, personally I think it is worth the expense to change all the seals and the valve cover gasket each time. I have seen too many cases of oil in the plug wells or valve cover gaskets leaking (less common) to make it worth while. Especially since most of these bikes are now at least 10 years old - gaskets get hard, don't seal as well, etc. Can you get away with not replacing all of them? Sure... but to me, the time and effort to tear it all apart again, drain the coolant etc, and then replace them after they leaked - not worth it.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s