+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DR650 motard

Mainely here

DR650 motard

So... after coming off a KTM950, the old DR is just... meh! It was well set up for dual sporting but did little to get me excited.

Enter the super motard. Hideous blinkers aside, I stripped it down and stuck some 17" wheels on it. Now we're getting somewhere.

Speed up for corners.

I'm quite impressed with this style of riding. I do plan to go into the engine to wake it up. 790cc kit and a flatside. And some small blinkers.

Think I'll take it to the race track this fall. The suspension was already gone through. The rear shock is awesome and the front was resprung. I'm thinking it needs some modern forks but this is a longer term project. I want to get it putting out 55hp, or so before I consider a new set of forks.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: DR650 motard

Name:  Thumbs Up 03.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  105.3 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

I used to be....

looks great I'm sure it's a blast to ride

CRACKERMAN
    I just got one of these... Whatd you do for a jet kit? Mine came with a full fmf but stock carb and airbox. I shimmed the needle and drilled a couple holes. Maybe will bump the main jet, hard to ride in the winter tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

The Busa Cop

Flat side , and big bore yet ?

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

Mainely here

Quote Originally Posted by isaac View Post
    I just got one of these... Whatd you do for a jet kit? Mine came with a full fmf but stock carb and airbox. I shimmed the needle and drilled a couple holes. Maybe will bump the main jet, hard to ride in the winter tho.
    I sold it to a guy standing in my driveway with cash in his hand. Wasn't really planning on that but i needed the funds for the zx14.

Far as jetting mine had a kit from pro cycle in it when I got it. Air box had too big of a hole in it so I had to fix that. Got 48 miles to the gallon on it. Guy who bought it is running strictly dirt tires now.

Even I miss the old flying dave

I don't know why but I have always wanted to have a DR.

CRACKERMAN
    A one cylinder bike is a weird thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

Mainely here

Quote Originally Posted by isaac View Post
    A one cylinder bike is a weird thing.
    A thumper that weighs about 260 pounds and makes 60 hp is not so weird. Arm stretcher.

The DR is a competent anvil. That's about the best description I can come up with for it.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    A thumper that weighs about 260 pounds and makes 60 hp is not so weird. Arm stretcher.

The DR is a competent anvil. That's about the best description I can come up with for it.
    Ha! I would call it a nice pipe wrench. good bike for me! Great bike for wandering around on.

A TM 40 will wake it up a bit, but there are limits to what an old air cooled single is going to be able to put out.

New, but just to this Board

Ive seen an 790 kit for the dr's on procycle site....kinda waiting/hoping for a need to rebuild mine....hasnt happened yet. I have a tm40 with fmf powerbomb and high compression piston....makes me smile, but i have no idea how much power its putting out. All i know is....my rex is faster