+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Does anyone remember the foam tire inserts and who made them?

Back in the late 90s, early 2000s, I bought these inserts that were put inside your tire in place of tubes. Not sure if they were actually foam, but the whole idea was to avoid flats. Their stiffness, basically kept the equivalent of a constant psi, like 15psi. Didn't matter if you punctured your tire. You could still ride. If I remember correctly, they looked kinda like the floatie tubes that kids use in the pool, or the insulators used for thin plumbing pipes, just shorter, obviously. I had really good luck with these for several years.
    Does anyone know if they're still available? What are they called? Who makes them?

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Does anyone remember the foam tire inserts and who made them?

Michelin make them, and Dunlop has one now as well the tire mousse is what it is calledd

MX guys did not like them because of weight but offroad guys who do a lot of sharp rocky areas
    really do.

From what I have been told they are a bear to install and should be pulled and lubed to keep the
    heat from friction from breaking down the rubber

Another system is the Tubliss system that allows you to make your tire a tubless tire that you can plug
    if needed
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Husqvarna Hooligan

the tubliss are getting to be really popular. almost none of the serious off road guys run tubes anymore
    99 zrx 1100 #9168 full ss muzzy/factory pro+ape pods/ kwick throttle,advancer,no-flo,pod tray,kwick kill/ teds fender eliminator/ sargent and wog seat/ jim's shifter mod/ pilot 4s/ couch brace and risers/ renthal street low bars
    95 husqvarna 360wxc dynoport pipe,lectron carb, WER suspension
    88 husqvarna 250xc
    87 husqvarna 430xc dynoport pipe
    86 husqvarna 400wr
    84 husqvarna 250wr
    83 husqvarna 500xc

2009 Hooligan of the year

I just went back to a tube having had enough of the flats I was getting running the Tubliss system. Bridgestone makes a SUPER heavy duty tube (4mm thick) that so far seems to be the ticket (knocking on wood).

Hooligan

First off..............I'm the FLAT KING! Undisputed! At least around here, here being very rocky North Jersey.
    Ran every sort of heavy duty, extra heavy duty, super duty, extra heavy super duper duty..........you get it, and got flats all the time. Like, almost every ride. Ran "Tech Tubes" for a while, same thing as Michelin Mousse. Even got flats with those on my ATK 605 Finished the Hancock DS one year with flats front and rear. They are a BITCH to get in and out, unless you have a real live tire machine.
    I started running the Tubliss system about 3 years ago, and I've had better luck with them. Except that, well, I got a front flat last week. Not the first flat with the Tubliss, but I get less flats than before. Problem is, you slice the tire and....................pfffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttt. Running "Slime" helps a lot, but oh lordy what a friggin' mess when changin' time comes. In the rocks, it seems the only real answer is Mousse tubes, but for me the cost (about $150 each) + the PITA of putting them in and taking them out, makes it a NO GO. You are supposed to take 'em out after EVERY RIDE. If I was still serious about running Hare Scrambles & Enduros, I run 'em, but for just screwing around and doing Dual Sport rides, I'll take my chances getting a flat with the Tubliss.
    Oh, another PLUS for the Tubliss is they weigh almost nothing. Totally changes how the bike handles. And, makes tire changes pretty easy.

Chris
    Loose nut behind handlebars!

Hooligan

I run Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes and ride very rocky terrain with low air pressure. I have friends that run the bib mousse and not worth the money and hassle IMHO.
    Road King
    2015 KTM 300XC
    ZRX Member #9574

BadAss Hooligan

I saw a while back someone was running tennis balls in the tires to prevent flats in dessert racing

"Love people-Use things-NOT-Use people-Love things"

Two wheeled FREAK

When I was working at the dealership, the best heavy duty tubes were Metzeler hands down. Bib Mousse worked ok for some folks, but the Metzeler tubes worked for everyone. There are some good IRC heavy tubes we used to run in SuperMoto bikes

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

you cant run the bibs(any brand) in a dual sport bike, highway speeds melt them

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BadAss Hooligan

I know it's been 3-1/2 years since the last post on this thread, but I just came across this in the October 2018 Dirt Bike magazine...

www.tubesaddle.com

Approx. 6oz each, as low as 8psi for better traction, almost 50% lower price than Bib Mousse or Tubliss, and there's a step-by-step video on their website

It has a 5-star rating from MXA, and was product of the year in Dirt Rider

The competitors...

www.tubliss.com

http://www.michelin.com/eng/media-ro...oad-motorcycle
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 10-03-2018 at 01:15 AM.