+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BadAss Hooligan

Bought a ZRX1100, also bought a rear axle problem

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    My question to you guys is, what is all the stuff in the vicinity made of? I need to know what the axle, nut, eccentric adjuster, and swingarm are made of, just so I can be sure it can be welded to without any problems.
    Axle and nut are steel, eccentric and swing arm is aluminum spacers steel, rear caliper mount aluminum.

Licensed to Mod

Re: Bought a ZRX1100, also bought a rear axle problem

I bought a 2000 ZRX1100 with only 4200 miles. Up to 6K+ now, and the rear tire is toast. Bike doesn't look like it's been left outdoors (no serious corrosion), but I'll be damned if I can get that rear axle loose. The eccentric alignment marks are matched. I tried keeping both pinch bolts tight, and then loosening the pinch bolt on the side I was trying to loosen. I've got an impact wrench and a 150 lb compressor. I used a heat gun on the nut side and got it good and hot, all to no avail. The nut has a torx pattern, which I first thought was normal, but from reading this thread I'm thinking some numbnut drove the torx bit into a rounded hex pattern, and then air hammered the hell out of it. I've sprayed WD-40 and will continue to reapply and try again tomorrow AM, but I have the feeling I'll need to be trailering it in to a shop where they hopefully have a more serious impact wrench. Dang! Shoulda had the new tire mounted by now.

BadAss Hooligan

Wow!! You tried everything I would think of, and then some.
    If the shop says it's time to write off that rear wheel, I Have an 1100 rear in the backyard you're welcome to for the price of shipping.
    Even if you have to to remove the whole swingarm/wheel combo from the swingarm front bolt, the rest of replacement parts for an 1100 should be cheap.

Good luck!

BadAss Hooligan

Try Kroil Oil
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

My bike came with a nicked rear axle nut and the first thing I did is ordered mamakaw replacement, went to the shop and had to take it out and put the new one in. That way if I get a flat away from home at least the wheel can be removed

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Once you get it out, replace the axle nut at a minimum. Maybe the axle too if its hex socket is deformed.

+1 on the Kroil suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

BadAss Hooligan

Yeah replacement axle nuts are not expensive. Hope OP can get his removed without too much trouble
    Last edited by Cundalini; 07-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

I had the same problem and ended up cutting the axle.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...r-axle-issues)

Licensed to Mod

How did you get to the axle to cut it?

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oediehl View Post
    How did you get to the axle to cut it?
    I went through 2.5 of these (if i recall) blades on my sawzall:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-9...8CF3/207192133

And then cut through this area, which resulted in my only having to replace the axle & the brake hanger:

Name:  j4Aw5xriIP0qvuU0b0CjzUlMXVXk_IfaDDeNMjqA023JENA_J8xGuAonwqedQzeSfqeXlbRObNLvfP0pHzPJ6iyQ-32ifga4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  81.3 KB

Mine was seized in the eccentric though, so once i cut all the way through I removed the nut side eccentric (passenger side) and then removed the wheel as you would otherwise.

Licensed to Mod

Well, I got some PB Blaster and spent some time soaking both sides and whacking them with a heavy plastic mallet, and an aluminum drive. Got a serious 3/4" air impact hammer from Harbor Freight, along with impact star drives, then sat and used a propane torch on the nut for 10 minutes or so. Then I crossed my fingers and put the new air wrench to work. Hooray! It broke loose pretty quickly, and after that there were no further complications. I don't know if the PB Blaster made any difference, because I see no evidence of metal to metal bonding, or much corrosion at all. The axle showed a little sign of discoloration and a very slightly uneven texture, so I used steel wool and oil to scrub it down, and put everything back together, after smearing everything with grease and after installing the new tire. Whew! I think some dimbulb just air-hammered the nut on way too tight, after maybe having some issues getting the nut off the first time (hence the star pattern). I'm not going to ride her before ordering and installing a new nut, but then all should be well (until I have to remove the front wheel---gulp).

avtech3d

You won!
    Hope your luck continues for the front.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Easy Peasey.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  38.3 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    Hope your luck continues for the front.
    ...yer mean.

anyone got's some Junior Mints??

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

My bike was the same way . Last year when I changed the front tire didnt think I was ever going to get it loosened . Then this year when I changed the chain and sprockets the rear was the same way .Ended up getting them but Jeez . He even went as far as painting little red dots on all the bolts so he could look and see if they were getting loose .

BadAss Hooligan

Well, I got some PB Blaster and spent some time soaking both sides and whacking them with a heavy plastic mallet, and an aluminum drive. Got a serious 3/4" air impact hammer from Harbor Freight, along with impact star drives, then sat and used a propane torch on the nut for 10 minutes or so. Then I crossed my fingers and put the new air wrench to work. Hooray! It broke loose pretty quickly, and after that there were no further complications. I don't know if the PB Blaster made any difference, because I see no evidence of metal to metal bonding, or much corrosion at all. The axle showed a little sign of discoloration and a very slightly uneven texture, so I used steel wool and oil to scrub it down, and put everything back together, after smearing everything with grease and after installing the new tire. Whew! I think some dimbulb just air-hammered the nut on way too tight, after maybe having some issues getting the nut off the first time (hence the star pattern). I'm not going to ride her before ordering and installing a new nut, but then all should be well (until I have to remove the front wheel---gulp).
    Great news!!!

Did you need to replace the axle nut? I wouldíve if it showed any rounding- off. Itís only $15 for a mamakaw I believe

Licensed to Mod

I'm going to replace the axle nut---it was about $18 (with shipping) from Partzilla. What's mamaKaw?

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    put the allen wrench in and TACK WELD it to the nut.

the heat from welding it will actually help the removal process.

Yup...this^^^

Either tack weld a Allen wrench in there or pound something slightly oversized in there...either should get the axle loosened enuf to remove.

Then ditch the molested axle for a new one and carry on.
    Antiseize or grease the axle when reinstalling as pointed out....a lil anti seize on the eccentric outer surfaces that run in the swingarm is cool too.

Then hunt down the "mechanic" that worked on the bike last and treat him/her like the pedophile they are....

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by terez View Post
    Yup...this^^^

.a lil anti seize on the eccentric outer surfaces that run in the swingarm is cool too.
    Not sure that would be needed since the swingarm and eccentrics are both aluminum.

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by AL Terry View Post
    Not sure that would be needed since the swingarm and eccentrics are both aluminum.
    Agreed, plus no way I would do that. I want my eccentrics clamped tight. If you do wheelies , the eccentrics have a tendency to slip unless they are really tight. Anti-seize would act as a lubricant between the two surfaces. I clean the mating surfaces with alcohol to make sure that there is no grease between them and they don't slip.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Agreed, plus no way I would do that. I want my eccentrics clamped tight. If you do wheelies , the eccentrics have a tendency to slip unless they are really tight. Anti-seize would act as a lubricant between the two surfaces. I clean the mating surfaces with alcohol to make sure that there is no grease between them and they don't slip.

TG
    You can wheelie a REX?
    Last edited by stever; 07-17-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office.

Steve

ZRXOA #6575

Devilsí Advocate

I'm going to replace the axle nut---it was about $18 (with shipping) from Partzilla. What's mamaKaw?
    A Kawasaki dealership...like Partzilla.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.