+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

Bought a ZRX1100, also bought a rear axle problem

Hey guys, new ZRX owner here, glad I'm finally part of the ZRX-club.

So I bought the ZRX and it needs new tires. Cool, I say, I'll just get the wheels off and throw on the new tires and be done with it. Well, my buddy and I learned real quick that someone didn't know what they were doing when they worked on the wheels last, because not only are they incredibly tight, but I also have this problem with the rear nut:

Normally a rounded off nut like that wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that I'm sure the mechanic used an impact on its max setting and just didn't care about what happened. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing an incredibly tight rear axle? Gonna take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions or can do it.

What my buddy and I also discovered is that the markings on the eccentrics weren't lined up, so does that mean the axle is twisted or do you think it's still ok?

Thanks for any help guys.

Color Monitor

Re: Bought a ZRX1100, also bought a rear axle problem

The rear axles get corrosion on them if they aren't lubed up when reinstalled and can be very difficult to remove. It's a common problem on ZRXs. When you do get it out, be sure to clean any corrosion off and use some good grease on it before you put it back in. The axle should be fine, it's not twisted, but the wheel is not running true if the eccentrics are not lined up.

Sorry , I don't have any good suggestions for getting that stripped nut loose. That's not going to be fun. Good luck.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

In Charge of McGov Only

Have the shop use an impact to take it off.

Been down that road more than twice...

You could maybe hammer a slightly larger Torx socket into the hole to grab onto what's left where the allen wrench would go. If all else fails, there is plenty of meat there to weld a nut onto that nut to get it out, then just replace it with a new one. Or, maybe drill it out deeper and use a hugh easy-out on it.

Just suggestions.

The Voice Of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    Have the shop use an impact to take it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post

Normally a rounded off nut like that wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that I'm sure the mechanic used an impact on its max setting and just didn't care about what happened...

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

The Voice Of Reason

Thanks for any help guys.
    put the allen wrench in and TACK WELD it to the nut.

the heat from welding it will actually help the removal process.

BadAss Hooligan

I just dealt with a stuck nut yesterday. Your nut is probably corroded into the alluminum eccentric.
    The right side is the nut end of the axel. See if you can remove the axel from the left side of the bike.
    If you're successful, pull the eccentric out with the stuck nut and use a penetrant. Do not try to pound the nut out of the alluminum. That will destroy the nut then you will have a bad nut stuck in there.
    Return the eccentric to the swing arm and tighten it down. Slowly work the nut back and forth then repeat the process until it comes out.
    If this was the case, don't forget to lightly sand and lube the outside of the nut as well as the threads.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

The Voice Of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    I just dealt with a stuck nut yesterday. Your nut is probably corroded into the alluminum eccentric.
    The right side is the nut end of the axel. See if you can remove the axel from the left side of the bike.
    If you're successful, pull the eccentric out with the stuck nut and use a penetrant. Do not try to pound the nut out of the alluminum. That will destroy the nut then you will have a bad nut stuck in there.
    Return the eccentric to the swing arm and tighten it down. Slowly work the nut back and forth then repeat the process until it comes out.
    If this was the case, don't forget to lightly sand and lube the outside of the nut as well as the threads.

We had the same problem with Isaac's bike a couple years ago.

forgotabout that.

Calamity Gil

Watevaman, welcome to the club. If you need a replacement axle,nut or eccentrics I have extras. Let me know. The tack weld option seems like the best idea. Good luck and if you'll be needing those parts just send me a PM. Good Luck!
    ZRXOA membr #8704
    "It is not the strong but the responsive that survive."

BOTM Feb '13

The Voice Of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Gil View Post
    The tack weld option seems like the best idea.
    Nope. I was wrong

Zarex nailed it.

tighten the right side eccentric and remove the axle on the opposite side.

EZ-PZ

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Nope. I was wrong

Zarex nailed it.

EZ-PZ
    It happens.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

2010 YTRAP Award Winner

Nope. I was wrong

Zarex nailed it.

EZ-PZ
    Works if you can remove the axle from the left side. Duc Girl's 2002 was stored outside by the PO. We had to drive the axle out from the right it was so corroded. Yeah we could spin it, but it wasn't moving anywhere w/o help.

But then again the axle nut is hollow, can get a drift on the end of the axle thru the nut. Never mind.

Have never had a problem removing the nut w/ Allen wrench with a persuader.

Also - no one mentioned that the "alignment marks" may not be correct. Have we done away with measuring from the swing arm bolt to the axle to check alignment?
    Last edited by JBoz; 09-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe, November, 1995

"this planet is one giant retard factory" - philobeddoe, 2009-12-03

BadAss Hooligan

Odd, mine looks exactly like that, but the allen wench still works. Looks like someone tried to pound in a torx head.

My alignment marks are off too, so I use a straightedge on sprocket to align the chain. Marks are off 1 to 1 from each other.

In Charge of McGov Only

Look, John has spoken and approved someone's suggestion, y'all just hush now.

The Voice Of Reason

Bought a ZRX1100, also bought a rear axle problem

Look, John has spoken and approved someone's suggestion, y'all just hush now.
    Thats the 1%

In Charge of McGov Only

Thats the 1%
    Damn right, me and jscastle?

BadAss Hooligan

Before attempting to remove the nut or axle you might want to check to be sure the eccentrics are set to the same hash marks on both sides.

I assumed they were the same and had a heck of a fight to get the nut off. They had shifted and caused a large bind on the shank of the nut.

After I aligned the eccentrics the nut came off easy peasy.

Herb

Just Some Random Guy

Where in Virginia are you located? I've removed a corroded ZRX axle or two in my time.

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJohn View Post
    Where in Virginia are you located? I've removed a corroded ZRX axle or two in my time.

Knowing your maintenance routines, yours is probably corroded every time you get around to removing it.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Just Some Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Knowing your maintenance routines, yours is probably corroded every time you get around to removing it.

TG
    Dude, I change rear tires 2 to 3 times a year. If you rode more, you might do the same.

Washing a ZRX, now THAT'S what makes the axles corrode.

Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

In Charge of McGov Only

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post

TG
    I'm thinking it's never been off, he just glues on some new tire tread and it's good to go.

Just Some Random Guy

I'm thinking it's never been off, he just glues on some new tire tread and it's good to go.
    I have been know to use the cords as an "extended life" tread pattern.

Hooligan

We tried to get it off on the left side with the same 3 ft, 1/2" (maybe 3/4) drive ratchet we used on the front, but if I remember right, I think the eccentrics were clamped on both sides. I don't know if it'd make a difference if one side was loose, would it? It actually twisted my buddy's allen socket a lot so we figured the torque was just so damn high on them.

I didn't take it to a shop, but I am trying to see if I can get a nut welded on to remove it. Seeing as that's an irreversible act, does anyone have any other suggestions before I do it?

And HarleyJohn, I'm located in Blacksburg.

The Voice Of Reason

I think the eccentrics were clamped on both sides. I don't know if it'd make a difference if one side was loose, would it?
    NO

actually when removing the wheel, you do NOT loosen the eccentric pinch bolts.

those are only for chain tightening. / alignment.

that said, make sure both L/R hash marks are the same. then keep them tight and work on the axle/nut.

I would say your better off trying to loosen the axle, NOT the nut.

the nut is most likely seized onto the eccentric / galvanic whattever ya callit.

Hooligan

Yeah, that's what we were working on, the smaller of the two allen holes (the one on the other side of the one I put a picture of), which is the axle from my understanding. It just didn't want to budge and actually we can't even try anymore because, as I said, it twisted the allen socket.

Just Some Random Guy

We tried to get it off on the left side with the same 3 ft, 1/2" (maybe 3/4) drive ratchet we used on the front, but if I remember right, I think the eccentrics were clamped on both sides. I don't know if it'd make a difference if one side was loose, would it? It actually twisted my buddy's allen socket a lot so we figured the torque was just so damn high on them.

I didn't take it to a shop, but I am trying to see if I can get a nut welded on to remove it. Seeing as that's an irreversible act, does anyone have any other suggestions before I do it?

And HarleyJohn, I'm located in Blacksburg.
    Unfortunately that puts you more than a couple of hours away. Sounds like you are moving towards a solution. Mine typically start with Liquid Wrench, move to a cheater pipe, and then involve heat. The most difficult part is understanding how the eccentrics, clamp bolts, axle and axle "nut" all work together if you've not had experience with them before. Some of it is a little counter-intuitive. Welding the nut to the end of the axle nut isn't irreverable, as you can now use it to both tighten and loosen the axle nut. If the cosmetics of that would bother you, I, and any number of folks on this board would have a spare axle nut laying around.

Good Luck.

BadAss Hooligan

Penetrating oil on the threads.

Name:  Penetrating Oil Comparison.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  61.8 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Be careful with a ratchet in case it breaks. I would use a solid wrench and a snug fitting cheater pipe. Always use safety glasses.
    Yea I got a blue one

BadAss Hooligan
    The Bean Pod

put the allen wrench in and TACK WELD it to the nut.

the heat from welding it will actually help the removal process.
    This ^. Put me in the 1%. You're still an ! How the heck are ya John?

Hooligan

Hey guys, have to bump this with a question. Been busy with school, so haven't had time to work on the bike, but I did buy a new axle+spacers+nut, so I can now go to town on this one if need be.

My question to you guys is, what is all the stuff in the vicinity made of? I need to know what the axle, nut, eccentric adjuster, and swingarm are made of, just so I can be sure it can be welded to without any problems.