+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

Starting problem despite good battery

Saturday I was out on a long event ride, having a good 'ol time. The Harley in the group needed gas, so we stopped early in the afternoon. I had no problems whatsoever until then. When we were ready to leave, I turned on the key, hit the starter button, and nada.

The neutral light was then very dim, and hitting the starter button did absolutely nothing. No turnover, no clicking, nothing. I checked the ignition fuse, and it was fine. We got a jumper cable, hooked the ZRX to a Buell, let it fuel the battery for a bit, and tried again: it kinda started to very slowly turn over, but no luck.

We then bump started it easily, and I rode home.

This morning, I took the battery out and connected it to the charger. Not only is the battery fine, but it's at full charge. This makes me think the alternator must be OK.

I put the battery back in, turned the key, and the neutral and dash lights looked bright and normal. I hit the starter button and there was a click from the right side of the bike, but no turn-over. The dash lights were then dim again...and are if I turn the key on now.

Any obvious ideas? Just a simple short? The manual includes a laundry list of possibilities... (I've not had any starting problems ever. I'm also not an electrical whiz by a long shot...I'd rather deal with almost any other problem.)

I've had another nagging (and yet unsolved) electrical issue with the blinkers, but I wouldn't think it's related. I haven't yet found any bad/exposed wires in the usually cited places (steering head, right side cover). But I haven't pulled the whole bike apart yet to check every possibility. Maybe that's my answer, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has run into a similar problem and could help me narrow it down more quickly.
    Jeremy

The Voice Of Reason

Re: Starting problem despite good battery

Quote Originally Posted by jschultz View Post

Any obvious ideas?.
    Petcock o ring.

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

BadAss Hooligan

Ignition switch?
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Petcock o ring.

This ^

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Pesky Canadian

But he was able to bump start it. If that's the case then it can't be vapor lock

I'm thinking bad ground...possibly something grounding out on the starter.
    Jeff

2000 Zed Are Ex 1100
    ZX10B Cams, ZX11 ECU, CVK40's w/Uni Pods PK92 (DJ 200 Mains, Stock Needle shimmed, 38 Pilots - 2.5 turns out, Floats set @ 15mm) ZX11 V&H 4-1 SuperSport, ZX11 +2 Advancer

Bitches Be Krazy....
    What the HELL!!!!

Recall ID #1239 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING
    Recall Date
    SEP 17, 2001

Motorcycle Affected
    2001 KAWASAKI ZRX1200-A

Summary
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. A SECTION OF THE WIRING HARNESS LOCATED ABOVE THE HEADLIGHT IS ROUTED INCORRECTLY.

Consequence
    AS A RESULT, TURNING THE HANDLEBAR CAN CAUSE ABRASION OF THE WIRE HARNESS SHEATH AND WIRING INSULATION LEADING TO MALFUNCTION OF THE TURN SIGNALS, INSTRUMENT LIGHTS, OR INDICATOR LIGHTS. MALFUNCTION OF ANY OF THESE ITEMS COULD CREATE THE RISK OF A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy
    DEALERS WILL RE-ROUTE THE WIRING HARNESS AND EXAMINE THE HARNESS AND CLAMP FOR ANY SIGNS OF DAMAGE. DAMAGED CLAMPS OR WIRES WILL BE REPAIRED OR REPLACED AS APPROPRIATE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN OCTOBER 1, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT KAWASAKI AT 1-949-770-0400.

Potential Motorcycles Affected

Notes
    KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mo...#ixzz3A75xDl7V
    Team Short

2010 KTM RC8r 1198
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1224r (Green) Rocket --- MAY 2015 BOTM
    2001 Kawasaki zrx 1200r (Black) KCR Cafe Bike--- JULY 2015 BOTM
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200r (Red)
    2005 Kawasaki ZX10R Track Bike
    2000 Honda XR650R ( Plated ) Dual Sport

Sprich nicht mit mir, du verrückter Mann!

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by gammer View Post
    But he was able to bump start it. If that's the case then it can't be vapor lock

Hydrolock, but yes, you can "force" the motor past the gas with stock compression.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Kaw Killer...crash tester

check your harness real good ... it is a wiring problem ... the ignition wont fire if the voltage is too low .. like only 2 volts will kill the ignition

Also check the plugs from the controls and under the tank ...

ZRXOA # 168

2000 ZRX 1100 ... mostly stock..

All I want is to live in peace ,for that I am willing to die...

Stolen Colt Night Defender 45acp sn NDF 0311

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by gammer View Post

Probably so.

My ZRX is a 2003 so I don't think that recall applies.
    Jeremy

Sweet Pee

Could just be a bad connection. Start by unplugging the fuses and starter relay (or unbolt it) and make sure your connections are good. Had the same problem with old blue. It was a bad connection at the fuses. Cleaned then up and no more issues.

Happy Hunting

I love my Boobear

[QUOTE=SteddyTeddy;4049441]Bullchit, bullchit, bullchit!

Color Monitor

How old is the battery? You need to check it properly. Just because your charger indicates that it is ok doesn't mean crap. Check the static battery voltage with a DVM and then check it while you are cranking the starter. If it drops down below 11.5-11.8V while cranking it's probably bad.

We go through this drill once a month on this board. Also check your battery terminals for tightness. Inspect the wire harness in two common places for chafing, around the steering head and under the right side cover where the harness runs along the frame.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    How old is the battery? You need to check it properly. Just because your charger indicates that it is ok doesn't mean crap. Check the static battery voltage with a DVM and then check it while you are cranking the starter. If it drops down below 11.5-11.8V while cranking it's probably bad.

We go through this drill once a month on this board. Also check your battery terminals for tightness. Inspect the wire harness in two common places for chafing, around the steering head and under the right side cover where the harness runs along the frame.

TG
    ^This.

If you have a Batteries Plus or Interstate Bat. store nearby, they will load-test it.
    Go for a ride. Take it easy.

BadAss Hooligan

My battery was new last year and this spring it crapped out. I is a sealed unit but I pried the caps off and found that all the plates were exposed. I filled it with distilled water and charged it and it has been going strong. (So far)

BadAss Hooligan

battery is dead, try jumping with another battery

Legal Eagle

Get a new battery. One morning a few years ago, I was riding around all morning. Made a few stops and the bike would start right up. Stopped for gas and it wouldn't start. Battery dead with no warning and I keep it on a battery tender. New battery and all was well.

BadAss Hooligan

sounds like classic symptom of broken connector inside the battery - will check fine w/ voltmeter, but as soon as it is hit with a load............zip
    When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive......When I'm done riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.

Turbo Division Member #27

BadAss Hooligan

Just because the battery shows good on a tester doesn`t mean it is good to go...You really need to LOAD TEST it...As suggested by 1slomo...
    Go buy another battery and call it a day....
    I`m running a SHORAI Light weight battery in my 1200 and works great...

Name:  zrxshorai.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  254.2 KB
    Last edited by paulzrx; 08-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    LIFE IN THE FAST LANE!!!!!!!!!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by paulzrx View Post
    Just because the battery shows good on a tester doesn`t mean it is good to go...You really need to LOAD TEST it...As suggested by 1slomo...
    Member # 9082

2001 ZRX1200

My past Street Bikes
    1975 KZ400
    1980 CB750F
    1983 CB1100F
    1984 GPZ1100
    2000 ZRX1100

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Get a new battery. One morning a few years ago, I was riding around all morning. Made a few stops and the bike would start right up. Stopped for gas and it wouldn't start. Battery dead with no warning and I keep it on a battery tender. New battery and all was well.
    What Kenny said ^^^^. Plus use this opportunity to upgrade to Shorai Lithium Iron (note: NOT Ion) battery. The cats pajamas.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

my brakes are the only thing I drag

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    What Kenny said ^^^^. Plus use this opportunity to upgrade to Shorai Lithium Iron (note: NOT Ion) battery. The cats pajamas.
    ZRX = Japanes characters meaning "every problem is a chance to upgrade"

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by paulzrx View Post
    It was the battery.

I took it to Batteries Plus...the voltage was fine but it flunked the load test immediately. New battery and it fired up just fine.

Thanks all for the guidance and not too much public shaming.
    Jeremy

Legal Eagle

Glad your problem was solved

Been down that road more than twice...

This thread should be made a sticky in a new section titled "Why your ZRX won't start."

Then we can lump all of these threads with the same theme/outcome into it. It'd fill up pretty fast.

Pesky Canadian

Glad it was a simple fix
    Jeff

2000 Zed Are Ex 1100
    ZX10B Cams, ZX11 ECU, CVK40's w/Uni Pods PK92 (DJ 200 Mains, Stock Needle shimmed, 38 Pilots - 2.5 turns out, Floats set @ 15mm) ZX11 V&H 4-1 SuperSport, ZX11 +2 Advancer

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by btl68 View Post
    This thread should be made a sticky in a new section titled "Why your ZRX won't start."

Then we can lump all of these threads with the same theme/outcome into it. It'd fill up pretty fast.
    Agreed, same issue over and over again. I doubt it would make much difference though because they never believe the battery is the problem. Almost every thread starts out with. "My battery is good".

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by jschultz View Post
    It was the battery.

I took it to Batteries Plus...the voltage was fine but it flunked the load test immediately. New battery and it fired up just fine.

Thanks all for the guidance and not too much public shaming.
    WTG brother....
    Keep this problem in your memory banks just in case it happens again or to a buddy...
    Batteries will trick ya sometimes....I bought a HarboreFrieght load tester and it`s done it`s job many times for me and others...
    LIFE IN THE FAST LANE!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Agreed, same issue over and over again. I doubt it would make much difference though because they never believe the battery is the problem. Almost every thread starts out with. "My battery is good".

TG
    There have been more than a few noobs to the board ask about a non-starting issue and describe it and members tell them to get a new battery, or at least check it/load test it. Some of the noobs get halfway belligerent and tell us they have been riding since 1917 or have worked in a MC shop for 30 years or have raced against Eddie Lawson when he was on the Kawasaki team and they just know it's the coils or the carbs or the phase of the moon...but not the battery.

In this particular case, our suggestions were met with an open mind from the OP and were proven correct.

Again.

You can easily load test a battery with a multimeter right in your garage, just like you would test for static voltage. Just hit the starter button and observe the voltage drop. If the bike doesn't start and the voltage is reading in the 10's or lower, it's the battery.

Simple.

BadAss Hooligan

I have a friend who is a professional bike mechanic at a shop with over 25 years experience. Whenever such problems arise the first words out of his mouth is "check your battery connections and if they are good then check your battery". He claims that given the reliability of almost every bike, especially Japanese bikes, most electrical failures are the result of a dead or dying battery.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Devils’ Advocate

Yuasa batteries usually only have a six-twelve month warranty, and the period is between you and the seller...there's a reason.

"Yuasa Battery, Inc. does not handle warranty issues directly. All inquiries should be directed to the dealer where the battery was purchased. The dealer's distributor sets the warranty period and handles all warranty claims. The warranty time frame is not specified by Yuasa, but the majority of the distributors give 12 months free replacement, provided the customer has dated proof of purchase."

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.