+ Reply to Thread
    Licensed to Mod

surging while riding

Just checked out a 1200 yesterday. It idled smooth/even, but while riding it, the engine had a small surge, no matter whether throttle was constant or accelerating. Happened in every gear, and throughout the rev range. Very rhythmic, and occurance i increased with RPMs. It did look as if the bike has been over on its sides.
    Any ideas? Something serious, or just fuel delivery, or electrical maybe?

2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: surging while riding

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue such as jetting or possibly a slight vacuum leak making it go lean.

BadAss Hooligan
    Indiana, United States. Amazingly close to 40.000N 86.000W

It did look as if the bike has been over on its sides.
    This issue is discussed at length elsewhere on the forum but it a matter of concern. The ZRX does not come from the factory with a tip-over shutoff and if the bike is downed with the engine running the oil pickup immediately sucks air instead of oil and you have an oil-starvation issue with the connecting rod bearings being of the most concern.

It seems that the #3 or #4 connecting rods are the most vulnerable and most say that no amount of time on the side running is to short to cause damage. The problem with this is that the damage may not show itself for several hundred to a few thousand miles but when it does, basically you have trashed your engine.

Other than pulling the engine and cracking open the cases and inspecting the bearings for damage, there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to determine if there is damage or not.

So most folks here urge EXTREME CAUTION when a ZRX shows signs of having been down on either side.

By the way, there are plenty of really nice ZRX's on the market so unless the price is really REALLY low on that one, I'd keep looking. If you don't see one in Chicago area, there are 4 or 5 of them being listed in the Central Indiana area right now. Also check the "Complete Bikes for Sale" forum on this board. Some of the nicest ZRX's you'll see anywhere can be found there.

SkunkWorks

Airbox lid on incorrectly

Transmission bad

Dirty carbs

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Licensed to Mod

Thanks for the responses.
    I'm aware of the oil starvation issue that occurs from running on its side. I'm certainly always leery of it. I was just unsure if this particular issue sounded like a tell-tale sign of it.
    It still seems like it could be a fuel delivery problem, but I think I'll just steer clear of this one.

Licensed to Mod

Also - I'm no longer in the Midwest; on west coast New, and rexes seem to be a little less prevalent here.

BadAss Hooligan

Are you running pods? If so, are your two vent lines hanging out in the open? Cross winds and air stream disturbances can cause a weird bogging like you're running out of fuel. Tuck the ends of the lines up and out of the air stream like under the tank or above the battery.

If you are running a stock air box, forget the above...,

Coey
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Two wheeled FREAK

surging while riding

Carbs may be seriously out of sync... Or a decent air leak - like the carbs weren't installed correctly after a cleaning?

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...