+ Reply to Thread
    Hooligan

Call all ZREX-ers with experience installing KOSO gauges - help please

I have a set of Koso gauges and have tried to do my homework here on the forum in an attempt to not have to create this thread... but I still have a few unanswered questions.

Any help you'd be willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

So as others have noted several of the wire connections are straight forward:

Turn signals, oil light, high beams light etc.

But I am still looking for confirmation on which ZRX wires are: 12v Constant, 12v Ingition 'ON,' and ground...?
    Name:  zrxwiringupload.jpg
Views: 10073
Size:  1.14 MB

I have highlighted (with cartoon text bubbles) on this wiring diagram which wires I think are the correct wires... but I would like some educated confirmation.

Name:  ZRX Thermo.jpeg
Views: 1527
Size:  11.6 KB

Also, the KOSO water temp sensor has the same threading as the thermostat warning sensor ... can anyone tell me why I couldn't just unscrew that OEM sensor at the thermostat, thread in the KOSO one, and wire that straight back to my gauges?

Lastly, is there a place I can thread a KOSO temp sensor for oil temp without have having to drill and tap a hole myself?

thanks again for your time.
    Attached Images  

Suffers from Mad Kaw disease
    On a lovely tropical island near Ft. Wayne, IN

Re: Call all ZREX-ers with experience installing KOSO gauges - help please

The brown wire is ignition 'on', used that for my ignition controlled heated grips. Also, you can swap out the sensor for water temp. I did that using a regular water temp guage.

YTRAP, G and Joe.... sure gonna miss you guys...

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by BlkZrx View Post
    The brown wire is ignition 'on', used that for my ignition controlled heated grips. Also, you can swap out the sensor for water temp. I did that using a regular water temp guage.
    Thanks for that confirmation, I felt pretty confident that that was the Ignition on wire since it branches out to everything that lights up when you turn the ignition on.

I also feel pretty confident about the ground wire... however I am still not confident about where to get the 12v Constant that the KOSO diagram is asking for.

Thanks again

Why does it need a 12 V continuous? Clock? Just run a direct battery hookup in that case. I'd be a bit concerned about battery drain, though..

Hooligan

Why does it need a 12 V continuous? Clock? Just run a direct battery hookup in that case. I'd be a bit concerned about battery drain, though..
    That is a very good question... and I do not know why it would need a constant and the 12v ignition 'on' ... unless the 12v 'on' does not have sufficient 'current?' to fully power the KOSO...

Anyone care to guestimate or educate?

Thanks

I'm running a Veypor speedo/tach wired to switch on with ignition key. Maybe your Koso needs a small amount of continuous power to hold memory (odometer mileage?) Mine holds current odometer without and is nearly 10 yr. old tech. Anything in the manual about battery drain, long term? Only reason I can think of it needing constant power is a clock..

Mod/Admin

I'm running a Veypor speedo/tach wired to switch on with ignition key. Maybe your Koso needs a small amount of continuous power to hold memory (odometer mileage?) Mine holds current odometer without and is nearly 10 yr. old tech. Anything in the manual about battery drain, long term? Only reason I can think of it needing constant power is a clock..
    Yes, according to this thread -here , the clock is the reason for the constant feed.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo View Post
    Yes, according to this thread -here , the clock is the reason for the constant feed.
    Thanks for tagging my post Schmoo.

As an update to that I have since fitted an ON/OFF switch for the constant live feed to the clocks. I don't use my bike every day (couple of times a month) and I was finding that the battery was going flat after fitting the speedo and the bike sitting in the garage for three weeks. It may be I wired it incorrectly, I certainly never had battery issues before the install. If you use the bike regularly then you won't have an issue.
    Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Hooligan

Thanks everybody.

All i need now is for someone to confirm or deny that the wire I have highlighted on the diagram as "12v Constant" is in fact 12v constant...

Thanks again.

Mod/Admin

Quote Originally Posted by swm04a View Post
    Thanks everybody.

All i need now is for someone to confirm or deny that the wire I have highlighted on the diagram as "12v Constant" is in fact 12v constant...

Thanks again.
    No, that wire is for the high beam light . There is no constant 12V up near the speedo. Run a wire straight to the battery .

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks everybody.

Thanks again.
    When I did mine, I found there where no constant powers up by headlight, the reason that you need constant power is there are a bunch of settings that you will need to set up like the time, speed, tach, gauge color,"which you change with the high beam light in neutral. All of these things are saved by a small battery inside the gauges, if you hook it up wrong they will all reset everytime you turn it off, but if done right they are saved, and you can also take the battery out and back in and they will still be saved."hope this made sense". I ran the constant wire back to the tail, there is an accessory outlet back there with constant power. I've got all my wire labeled as they go in the plug, I'll try to get out there and snap some more pictures for you, otherwise there are some on my build thread.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...highlight=Zx14

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Kevansieb View Post
    When I did mine, I found there where no constant powers up by headlight, the reason that you need constant power is there are a bunch of settings that you will need to set up like the time, speed, tach, gauge color,"which you change with the high beam light in neutral. All of these things are saved by a small battery inside the gauges, if you hook it up wrong they will all reset everytime you turn it off, but if done right they are saved, and you can also take the battery out and back in and they will still be saved."hope this made sense". I ran the constant wire back to the tail, there is an accessory outlet back there with constant power. I've got all my wire labeled as they go in the plug, I'll try to get out there and snap some more pictures for you, otherwise there are some on my build thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post

As an update to that I have since fitted an ON/OFF switch for the constant live feed to the clocks. I don't use my bike every day (couple of times a month) and I was finding that the battery was going flat after fitting the speedo and the bike sitting in the garage for three weeks. It may be I wired it incorrectly, I certainly never had battery issues before the install. If you use the bike regularly then you won't have an issue.
    That's not what I have found. As mentioned I have fitted an ON/OFF switch to my clocks and the only thing that needs resetting is the clock. All other things remain unchanged.

As for the constant 12V. I mentioned earlier that there is a loom connector under the fuel tank on the left side that you can tap into. Or follow the advice of Kevansieb.

Mod/Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
    As for the constant 12V. I mentioned earlier that there is a loom connector under the fuel tank on the left side that you can tap into.
    Probably the one for the fan , that is constant power. I'd put an on off switch like you did or just unhook from the battery when it's going to sit for a while. My cheapie Trail Tech Vapor has a wire for constant 12V and a battery backup for the odometer and Highest MPH/temp/rpm feature. It doesn't draw much , it has never drawn the battery down but I unhook it for the winter.

Old Flat Top

I let you know mine will be here on Wednesday.
    Last edited by ZrxKenn; 05-09-2014 at 07:00 PM.

BADLY BENT BUT NOT BROKEN

Old Flat Top

Name:  koso.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  5.4 KB

BADLY BENT BUT NOT BROKEN

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo View Post
    Probably the one for the fan , that is constant power. I'd put an on off switch like you did or just unhook from the battery when it's going to sit for a while. My cheapie Trail Tech Vapor has a wire for constant 12V and a battery backup for the odometer and Highest MPH/temp/rpm feature. It doesn't draw much , it has never drawn the battery down but I unhook it for the winter.
    Ruby and/or Schmoo would you mind be more specific about where and how you tapped that 12v under the tank and how you discerned what is 12v constant and what is not.

Thanks

BadAss Hooligan

If I could find my notes I'd be able to tell you, unfortunately I can't. And I'm crap with electrics! LOL

A multi meter is the best way to check for a constant live I believe. All I can remember, as I've mentioned before, is that under the fuel tank on the left hand side is part of the loom with I believe only a couple of wires running in it (possibly a white and a brown wire). I just tapped into that connection.

If there is an accessory wire near the back of the bike as suggested then that might be easier.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but electrics really are not my strong point.

The way to do this is an accessory fuse block, wired directly to the battery if you want a safe, constant supply. Any auto supply house or Radio Shak..

Mod/Admin

Ruby and/or Schmoo would you mind be more specific about where and how you tapped that 12v under the tank and how you discerned what is 12v constant and what is not.

Thanks
    The wires (two of them) running to the fan switch on the radiator . One side is hot all the time , the other is only hot when the switch trips to turn on the fan. Use a test light or multimeter to figure out which is hot all the time.