+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

Dog tore his ACL

Or CCL to him, right rear.

Anyone have any experience with this?

He uses it a little with a limp but carries it most of the time, we can't let him roughhouse with the other Shepherd anymore....prolly ever.

Still wants to rip around but if he injures the other rear leg........

I have a feeling this will get costly real quick.
    Posted from my Etch A Sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
    I want to go to the party and put on funny hats and be obnoxious and talk too loud and get stoned- uphold the American image abroad.
    I've spent most of my money on alcohol, women and motorcycles............the rest of it I just wasted.

BadAss Curd Stirrer
    and Hard-core Scrappler
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, the matchbook, the recipe, and an autograph

Re: Dog tore his ACL

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2bad View Post

He uses it a little with a limp but carries it most of the time, we can't let him roughhouse with the other Shepherd anymore....prolly ever.

I used to help out my buddy Mike the Vet at his clinic...about three years ago those repairs were right at $2500. That was for TPLO which is the best. You could do the conventional which is just drilling some holes and using monofilament fishing line. They were about $500. How old is the pup? Sorry, to hear.
    KYJOAP#2
    "I will endeavor to persevere." TNT May, 2007
    "I will fight no more forever." Chief Joseph, Nez Perce, 1877
    "Funny how people get mad, and then we all end up comparing clams." ZLadyREX 11/30/07

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric308 View Post
    I used to help out my buddy Mike the Vet at his clinic...about three years ago those repairs were right at $2500. That was for TPLO which is the best. You could do the conventional which is just drilling some holes and using monofilament fishing line. They were about $500. How old is the pup? Sorry, to hear.
    5 years old, healthy otherwise.

I want to go to the party and put on funny hats and be obnoxious and talk too loud and get stoned- uphold the American image abroad.
    I've spent most of my money on alcohol, women and motorcycles............the rest of it I just wasted.

BadAss Curd Stirrer
    and Hard-core Scrappler
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, the matchbook, the recipe, and an autograph

5 years old, healthy otherwise.
    See what your vet says about the "cheap" method. Even with that, when it's all said and done with office visits, meds and stuff it will be over a grand.
    KYJOAP#2
    "Funny how people get mad, and then we all end up comparing clams." ZLadyREX 11/30/07

BadAss Hooligan

I am trying to get back in this week and talk more about that to the vet$.

A 1000 dollar repair is not welcome but 25 hunnert is probably out of the question.

Do you know how that fishing line repair holds up? Do I need to restrict his activity after it heals?

Thanks for the help. It's all out there on the web but I like real world info on this stuff.

Does Mike the Vet give family/friends a discount?

BadAss Curd Stirrer
    and Hard-core Scrappler

I am trying to get back in this week and talk more about that to the vet$.

A 1000 dollar repair is not welcome but 25 hunnert is probably out of the question.

Do you know how that fishing line repair holds up? Do I need to restrict his activity after it heals?

Thanks for the help. It's all out there on the web but I like real world info on this stuff.

Does Mike the Vet give family/friends a discount?
    Just talked to him....he doesn't do dogs over 50 lbs. and highly recommends the TPLO. He said to hook up with a vet there that can either refer or do it himself. Make sure he/she has done a few. He DID NOT recommend the fishing line process for a large breed. Wish I could help more.
    KYJOAP#2

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for taking the time to get that info Eric.....2.5K TPLO....dayum.

BadAss Hooligan

One of our Schnauzers severed hers on a piece of sheetmetal and it cost us $500 two years ago. She had to wear a cast for about 4 months.
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

BadAss Hooligan

Its possible that the dog is in fact experiencing a luxating patella which depending on the degree of luxation may or may not require surgery.These symptoms mimic ligament issues. Many mild cases heal on their own with rest and time. Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Hooligan

We had a Great Dane tear hers as a pup, the mono repair lasted her whole life. We were a "little" careful not to let her get too crazy afterwards, but no issues.
    jeffcoll #116

Hooligan

My Shepard mix (about 70 lbs) tore her right side ACL at about 2 years old. Had it repaired with monofilament. The big thing was keeping her calm during recovery and rehab. Sticking to daily controlled walks on a leash is essential for the healing/rehab process. Vet told us that since she tore one, she would probably tear the other in her lifetime. It happened when she was about 8 years old, we also had that one repaired (around $1200 each time with surgery, drugs, and follow ups). She just turned 10, and aside from some arthritis in the left joint, she's doing well.

Bob
    tufcj

BadAss Hooligan

i unintentionally launched the wife's dustmop off the bed last year. she cleared about 5ft and landed on a wood floor. tore a ligament and cost me $1250 the wife said "i don't want to hear a single word about the vet bill." yes, dear.... the mutt is all better now.

BadAss Hooligan
    38 miles South of lake Ontario's Eastern shore in the USA

this really sucks - I have an 8 1/2 yo Samoyed/Shepherd that when he was ~5 he was chasing a ball up-hill ( don't throw balls up hill 4 dogs btw) and he jumped and twisted to the left and his right paw didn't twist & pop went the CCL on his right leg

he knew he was injured immediately, he let out the loudest & most painful sound he could muster, I was almost afraid to approach him but I ran to him and grabbed his face he lifted the hurt leg and I could see the bump of his meniscus - I carried him home from the park - ugh -( 75lbs becomes heavy in a 7 block walk home from the park when it is squirming in pain )

Good news / bad news from the experience ...

- I called my vet, I called local vet who was supposed to be aces @ repair of these things and I called Cornell's animal clinic about an hour away from me to get their opinions - none of them had any immediate openings and all said if the animal can walk on it w/in 8 weeks he could go w/o surgery - surgery is 2500-3k or + and if one side goes bad - the recovery puts so much strain on the good leg - all said to expect good hind leg to go bad next ..

My guy walked on his leg w/in 6 weeks and we took it real easy on him - he was given tramadol but that turned him into a zombie or he puked - then they gave him deramaxx which he didnt puke up and didnt turn him into a zombie but it did constipate him and make him a little less playfull ..( which is fine for the first few weeks )(& it is spendy medication too)

a year later the other leg did go bad, almost a yr to the week too , (a pit bull side swiped him at the dog park where I took him for a mellow interaction with other dogs and the incident happened too randomly fast to prevent it dammit !!!!) - same thing,tho he didn;t make a single peep in pain this time just hung that leg up and limped 3 legged to me

- he walked on it, all 4, w/in 6 weeks and he was a bit shaky going potty #2 and I worried he might have to go down, but he has survived and he is on no meds and in good spirits - but sits quickly after walking / playing(tho you should see how quick he gets up & how spry he looks when hears movement in the kitchen lol!! )

this spring the vet said he needed more exercise cause the hind leg muscles seemed weak - so we went from 1 block walks occasionally to 2 then 3 blocks regularly , now we are up to 4 blocks and back ... he shows no pain or resistance to walking

this sucks
    - the dog that pre-injury was hiking the ADK regular with his back pack/saddle bags and running 3 miles a day or + with me, in addition to his 40 min evening walk

I thought the damn dog was in excellent shape and never imagined such a thing could happen to him

- best of luck - surgery is nice I have seen dogs that have had surgery and you could never tell they were ever injured - I thought long and hard about doing it - I was told it would never be too late - if I waited to see how he did, then brought him in - I do not know if that was sound advice - but we waited , he walked w/o pain and we were told if ya fix both legs the original leg can go bad while leg # 2 heals from the expected 2nd injury and that even if leg # 1 or 2 never goes bad a second time, - that it would not be a good idea to hike or run the dog ever again - with that news I chose the wait and see ...

the good news is today he is a knucklehead that after increasing his exercise - he wants to play more, go for more rides and longer walks some nights when we try to turn back towards home & so on - now I just hope he doesn't hurt himself with his renewed vigor

he was 68-70lbs at injury time,lean from exercise, he got up to 80 being sedimentary and vet said too heavy for being an injured leg dog, so I reduced his kibbles and now give him 1/2 treat and he is again 70 lbs

sorry about your buddy - best of luck to him

Rick666

This guy had ACL repair, it cost $1500...but that was about 8 years ago.

Meat Mclarein

My 14 year old tore both knees. My vet wouldn't operate because of her age. We sedated here lightly for a few weeks, put her on anti inflamitories. She recovered about 60% of her motion in both knees after about 6 weeks of carrying her out in the yard, holding her up so she could potty and carry her up and down the steps.

She'll never jump again or run up stairs but she refused to give up. The vet I use pretty much gave up on her, I've since replaced him.
    Some people are like slinkies. They arent really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Ytrap, never will you be forgotten my friend

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcoll View Post
    We had a Great Dane tear hers as a pup, the mono repair lasted her whole life. We were a "little" careful not to let her get too crazy afterwards, but no issues.
    Umm, yeah, you need to see J2B's pooches in action. They don't lolligag around like a Great Dane does. There's usually fur flying at some point..
    Originally Posted by jimmyc
    "whenever i want to be stoked that I won the genepool lottery i read threads like this... oh brother.." beautiful!

'03 St1300
    '01 black ZRX gone
    ZRXOA #6468
    '78 cb400TII
    '77 cb750 F2 SOHC

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by bkra13 View Post
    Umm, yeah, you need to see J2B's pooches in action. They don't lolligag around like a Great Dane does. There's usually fur flying at some point..
    That can and will be a problem.

Wow, I never realized this was that big of an issue with dogs.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm headed back to re-read them all.

Rexter..."launched the dustmop".....funny shitte right there.

Blackpuppy....the chick took him in a couple weeks back fearing cancer, they x-rayed and it's a confirmed blow out.

Hooligan

seven years ago my alaskan malamute tore hers cost me $3000 to get her put back together,three years later she did the other leg had to put her down after that arthritis set in both legs and she could hardly walk
    FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE BAN SURF MUSIC COALITION

BadAss Hooligan

Hey, J2B, hope the mutt's good. Which one was it? The shmart one or the other one? I get a kick out of them two.

On another note, ours brought home supper. Ok, maybe appetizer. Not sure if they even have acls/mcls... Name:  imagejpeg_2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  62.5 KB
    Originally Posted by jimmyc
    "whenever i want to be stoked that I won the genepool lottery i read threads like this... oh brother.." beautiful!

'03 St1300
    '01 black ZRX gone
    ZRXOA #6468
    '78 cb400TII
    '77 cb750 F2 SOHC

Shoulda got a blue one!

OMFG

"launched the wife's dustmop"

...... "yes dear" I AM CRYIN OVA HERE!!!!

Showed the wife and she said ..... That would be CORRECT
    Randy

Member # 5326
    03 BLACK ZRX
    02 GREEN ZRX - Sold
    07 ZX14 in Plasma Blue
    05 DRZ400S /M
    06 TT-R230 ( my daughter's )
    09 WR250R Piped, FMF Power Programmer ++
    http://www.sundaysocialclub.com
    http://www.dualsport-sd.com

BadAss Hooligan

I have 10 grand in my Black Labs rear legs, 2 operations a year apart.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My Black Lab/Border Collie mix hurt herself 2 weeks ago, emergency vet visit and then a backboard trip to a vet. hospital in another state for observation and treatment, didn't even ask how much... just fix her.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by bkra13 View Post
    The shmart one or the other one?

On another note, ours brought home supper. Attachment 171944
    The smart black one that likes to greet you by sticking his big wet nose in your ear and sniffing.

Them's some badazz dogs you got Bernie, woulda liked to see the battle royale.

Quote Originally Posted by Neggy View Post
    I have 10 grand in my Black Labs rear legs,
    That's something I am struggling with.

BadAss Hooligan

Welp,

We start with $260 in x-rays and sedation on Wednesday to properly diagnose the knee, asses the other one and also both hips.

Then, assuming all is good, the TPLO estimate is for between $2450 and $2600.

And so it begins.

Might be seeing some Rex parts and gear for sale soon.

The patient.....

BadAss Hooligan
    38 miles South of lake Ontario's Eastern shore in the USA

cool

the vet I saw said to operate or get an mri for ~1500 - cause x-rays couldn't see muscle tissue or ? like that

Hope he does well
    Last edited by Hogan; 11-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Stuck in the Snow

Welp,

We start with $260 in x-rays and sedation on Wednesday to properly diagnose the knee, asses the other one and also both hips.

Then, assuming all is good, the TPLO estimate is for between $2450 and $2600.

And so it begins.

Might be seeing some Rex parts and gear for sale soon.

The patient.....

Good choice. That's a GREAT looking doggy!
    Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

BadAss Hooligan

Well, he got rebuilt yesterday. Max was a pretty good patient but you can tell it hurts him a lot.

They gave him a pain patch.....I might be stealing that.

Had to use a bigger plate than first thought, of course it was more expensive too.

Got some surgery pics but they are pretty gnarly.

The Green Widowmaker

Can't believe I missed this Johnny. Hope he comes through OK, beautiful dog you got. My old lab had this problem when she was 2. Doesn't help that she's really large for a female lab. 11 or 12 years ago we were into it for about $1200 for the fishing line fix. The one you had done was quoted to us at about 2K. She's never been the same since, but didn't expect her to be. She doesn't like to lay on that side even to this day. But the fix has held up and most people wouldn't ever know she had a problem. It was a very very long 6-8 weeks for us. Mostly for my wife. We didn't let her outside at all without a leash and it was at this time of year. Good luck!

Here's my old girl dog, you can see how she kicks her left rear leg out......
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a smartazz by any other name is still a smartazz.

BadAss Hooligan

Yup, we are looking at the same amount of time and I'm also relying on the chick to help a lot out after this first week.

He was standing up and waiting to go outside this AM...whatta trooper, took a 5 minute leak.

The nurses gave him a Christmas bandage....

BadAss Hooligan

Had this surgery done on my old adopted mixed breed about six months ago. $2,500.00 is correct. But now he's walking on all fours again. Just can't roughhouse with the other adoptees on the property or fetch a ball. If I can afford a bunch of bikes I certainly can spend the scratch on one of my buddies.

Everyone Loves me...

The nurses gave him a Christmas bandage....

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...mas-pet-thread...
    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.