+ Reply to Thread
    Biker Chic Extraordinaire

Dental Thoughts....

So, I've had a heck of a weekend with Dentists....let me tell you the tale and the hopefully your thoughts.

So, I went to the dentist for what was supposed to be a routine type visit. I had a crown that had cracked (it was 20 years old). They were going to pull it off, and see if they could save the tooth under it and put on a new crown. they told me it was to be about a 30 minute visit.

They give me the required numbing stuff and go to work. The Dentist was struggling to get the crown off and was pushing quite hard to get it to come off when the entire tooth broke off and he ended up stabbing me in the back of the palate. There is about a 1 1/2 inch cut with a puncture wound at the end. Of course it scared the crap out of me, hurt like a big dog and I started crying. He told me the tooth would have to be extracted and spent the next hour and a half trying to get the tooth out. He had to keep putting more numbing stuff in because I kept being able to feel it. Finally, about 2 hours in, he gets up and walks out of the room. He comes back about 5 minutes later and says he is sending me to an emergency oral surgeon first thing in the morning which obviously cost quite a bit more than the regular dentist. (He at least didn't charge me for the time I spent with him).

So, he tells me to show up, they'll knock me out and it will be quick and painless. (I knew I couldn't take any more of this being awake, so I was happy to hear this). Oh, and he finishes with "I'll call you later to check on you" (since he stabbed me and left a gaping hole in my head). This all happened Thursday and I still haven't heard from him.

So, I have a little oatmeal to settle my stomach (they told me I had to eat with the vicodin that they gave me to help with the pain). I get to the oral surgeon and he starts describing the process (leaving out any "knocking out" info). I inquire about it and he asks if I ate and I say "well, I had to since they told me to take the vicodin and they told me to eat with it." He said that he could not knock me out because I had eaten. I started to cry (yes, I was a cry baby with this....mouth pain sucks!!) He finally agrees to use a little nitrous, so we go back out front because there is an additional charge for that. We get out there and she hands us the paper that says it's $300 more. tears just started rolling because I couldn't make myself pay $300 just to ease my nerves so I told her we'd just do it with me awake.

She comes back and says the surgeon says he is going to use nitrous for no charge (thank you compassionate surgeon!)

I've had many friends telling me that I need to ask the original dentist to cover some of my oral surgeon costs or something for stabbing me. I see 2 sides to this. The stabbing thing was accidental and had he known how bad the tooth was underneath, he may have sent me to the oral surgeon to begin with so I'd have that cost anyway. I am a bit miffed about the gash in the roof of my mouth. It has honestly hurt worse than the tooth stuff.....I don't know...just feeling like SOME compensation would be nice.

I'm not one to sue folks, and I really don't see a "case" here. What I wonder is if I should just say "oh well, it was a mistake" which is the way I lean....or, should I be more upset?? I'm not nearly as upset as other people are who hear the story, so I wonder if I'm just too nice about it all. I've got a picture of the gash and bruises on my palate just in case I need it. Do I call them tomorrow and say "hey, this is really not cool....any chance you'll give me a break on further work because of the pain and suffering?" Or, do I just chalk it up to experience and look at changing dentists? Or, do nothing?

Rick666

Re: Dental Thoughts....

I'd send the entire bill to the first idiot... & never step foot in the place again.

I have a totally painless dentist & her husband rides a ZRX

Biker Chic Extraordinaire

I have yet to find a painless dentist. I hear they are out there, but I cannot find one. I hate being so freaked out by dentists!! No wonder I get anxious going in!

Wish I could find one!!!

Rick666

Yup, they're out there, mine is so good sometimes she drills without any anesthetic

The Apostrophe Bar & Grill
    SE Texas. Close to LA and the Gulf of Mehico. Port Arthur, to be specific.

I s'pose you should talk to him about it. He said he would call and didn't so he at least acknowleged a follow-up was warranted. Did he blow it off or forget? Too easy for him to say either. Seems he owes you something even if down the line. On the bright side, nitrous works for you. It just gets me sick and gives me a headache.
    Ain't this boogie a mess?