+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

Fresh ZRX, n00b w/ Qs

Hi Guys, so I did the unthinkable, abandon Honda for a Kawasaki (the only other brand I would ride). I was out with my f4i couple weeks ago; parked next to a zrx1200, and having never seen one before fell in love instantly. So I sold my sportbike, and got this! What a joy to ride this thing!!!

Now this thing is SOO different from what im use to, mechanically wise that is. So if some of you experts can just throw out some quick knowledge, Ill try to make this is as painless as possible.

1) Is the headlight shaking on freeways/uneven roads normal or is my headlight loose?

2) Are these stock levers?

3) Do our keys really have transponders in them? I need a spare made but obviously a transponder makes things more complicated. ('02 California model)

4) I have a rear end 'wiggle' if there is any bump while turning at higher speeds. Or also if I swerve, the rear end follow a second later, a strange trait. Loose swingarm or normal?

5) Any tips for this rust?

6) How do I remove that cover circled in red? I have thick oil around that area and the bottom; cant tell if shift-shaft seal or chain lube.

7) What frame sliders are these? Left side mount looks strong, but right side is only on engine case and might break it in fall. Should I just take this off; is there a better slider?

Hope I havent overwhelmed anyone; I do have questions im still searching for (evap canister under seat, suspension adjustments for my weight, etc)

Thanks guys!
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

Founder, Long Riders Club
    Ol' Step & a Half

Re: Fresh ZRX, n00b w/ Qs

Quote Originally Posted by 96SHOx View Post
    Hi Guys, so I did the unthinkable, abandon Honda for a Kawasaki (the only other brand I would ride). I was out with my f4i couple weeks ago; parked next to a zrx1200, and having never seen one before fell in love instantly. So I sold my sportbike, and got this! What a joy to ride this thing!!!

Now this thing is SOO different from what im use to, mechanically wise that is. So if some of you experts can just throw out some quick knowledge, Ill try to make this is as painless as possible.

1) Is the headlight shaking on freeways/uneven roads normal or is my headlight loose?

2) Are these stock levers?

3) Do our keys really have transponders in them? I need a spare made but obviously a transponder makes things more complicated. ('02 California model)

4) I have a rear end 'wiggle' if there is any bump while turning at higher speeds. Or also if I swerve, the rear end follow a second later, a strange trait. Loose swingarm or normal?

5) Any tips for this rust?

6) How do I remove that cover circled in red? I have thick oil around that area and the bottom; cant tell if shift-shaft seal or chain lube.

7) What frame sliders are these? Left side mount looks strong, but right side is only on engine case and might break it in fall. Should I just take this off; is there a better slider?

Hope I havent overwhelmed anyone; I do have questions im still searching for (evap canister under seat, suspension adjustments for my weight, etc)

Thanks guys!
    1. could be, but generally is the vibs that shake every thing includeing the headlight

2.yes

3.no,thanks only the new 1400 concours

4.you need to download the oem manual, its listed in the tech section stickies, sounds like you have preload, and damping settings way off for your body weight, next check for loose swingarm pivot and orr the front throttle side down tube bolts on, check bpoth upper and lower bolts, also the swingarm has a grease fitting on the bottom of it, grease bit with 3 pumps of grease

5.road grime causes that, the front fender needs to be longer, they make an extender for it, shop around

6.read the oem manual, you have to remove that clutch slave cylinder on the outside of tht cover, and there are tricks about it, generally when you remove it, it will extend outward, making it difficult to reinstall, and yea that chain lube grime your seeing, it does need to be cleaned as it can shorten chain life when not cloeaned out

7. thats champ 61 sliders, best made, dont remove it, there is plenty of stories here of it saving a motor and or worse body parts, keep it as is

now on too my generall job of search button nazi!!!
    use the search button, do your own tech searching, then once your more aclimated but still not in the know ask, one rule to seasrch button, min word length is four letters, thus, oil, gas,pan, etc wont return any search findings
    ytrap, itchybutt, gary1129, mavrek, monkey pincher, & all those we miss you
    "ckempf" I knew this would happen. Yesterday I publicly recognized that Sillyhillbilly is a literary genius. Now your trying to imitate his style. Don't work, give it up.:nonono
    if a three person romp is called a threesome
    if a two person romp is called a twosome
    does this mean we call you handsome?
    QUOTEphilobeddoe; ]i agree with marvin, which means the world is going to explode in 10, 9, 8, 7, ...

Hooligan

Thanks dude, no worries, I do search ALOT once i get in the jive of things, just had these questions that i couldnt find answers for.
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

I used to have a '96 SHO. Donated it to a good cause at 200,000 miles. They are still driving it and that was 5-6 years ago

Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Hooligan

Ok another issue im having; and I searched but cant find anything similar.

After I turn off the bike after riding, I hear a bubbling leak from the gas cap. It stops if I press down on cap. Also, there is gasoline on TOP of the cap after it sits for a while. Obviously its leaking, but the rubber is in good condition. Is this normal, common, known issue?

Is this how it is supposed sit while closed? (hard to see but actual black fuel cap does not sit flush)

In regard to question #1, the loose headlight. Its so severe the actual light beam moves A LOT, its not a vibration thing, its movement of hte bike. Is that normal as well?
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

Mouthy Mofo

If the bike is vibrating that much, you need to do a thorough tightening of the bolts on the bike, swingarm, motor mounts, everything. Then look into getting the suspension sorted properly. Finally, a carb sync as carbs can contribute to rough running and vibration.

Age of tires and state of wear? These bikes are prone to shaking when the front tire is worn (also depends on the tire used - maintain proper tire pressure as well)
    Silver REXs are sooo subtle - they slide right under the enemy's radar, then WHAM - they're dead!

03 REX - Akra, K&N pods, Ivan's jets, Teds Advancer, airbox out and chainguard, Chrispy's mirrors, Biscuits rearsets, Greg's brace, Armz shift linkage, Wog's seat, 'n some other stuff

84 KZ1100R - Yosh, K&N, fork brace
    82 GPz 550 - Hindle

ZRXOA #5764

c10's best friend

In regard to question #1, the loose headlight. Its so severe the actual light beam moves A LOT, its not a vibration thing, its movement of hte bike. Is that normal as well?
    Remove the fairing and make check tightness of the bolts that hold the light to the bracket.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

Hooligan

to insanity!!
    02 ZRX1200R
    1983 KZ750

2009 Hooligan of the year

No, not normal. Pull the fairing and you'll likely find that one of the mounting bolts has jumped ship. I just replaced one myself, having noticed the headlight bouncing around at night.

Ok another issue im having; and I searched but cant find anything similar.

After I turn off the bike after riding, I hear a bubbling leak from the gas cap. It stops if I press down on cap. Also, there is gasoline on TOP of the cap after it sits for a while. Obviously its leaking, but the rubber is in good condition. Is this normal, common, known issue?

Is this how it is supposed sit while closed? (hard to see but actual black fuel cap does not sit flush)

No, it should be sitting flush. Something is up with the mounting screws.

While you have it off you might as well do the vent mod.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...fornia-Gas-cap

Nope.

Key blanks...

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...ghlight=blanks

Nope. Good chance you simply need more rebound damping on the shocks. If they're already set at the max setting they need to be serviced.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    No, it should be sitting flush. Something is up with the mounting screws.

While you have it off you might as well do the vent mod.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...fornia-Gas-cap
    • Just took the cap off, inspected the tank and cap, everything looks normal. Tightened it all down, still sits the same way. Chrome part of gas cap still sits raised in the front; and black center of cap still sits raised in the front a little.

• Took off front cowl, all headlight brackets are good and tight. I guess since the headlight is mounted by rubber washers, it's made to shake a little while on freeway speeds or bumpy roads (more than the bike it's self)
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

c10's best friend

• Took off front cowl, all headlight brackets are good and tight. I guess since the headlight is mounted by rubber washers, it's made to shake a little while on freeway speeds or bumpy roads (more than the bike it's self)
    Tighten the 2 bolts holding the headlight bucket to the bracket, there shouldn't be any shake at speed.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

Just took the cap off, inspected the tank and cap, everything looks normal. Tightened it all down, still sits the same way. Chrome part of gas cap still sits raised in the front; and black center of cap still sits raised in the front a little.

Interesting. Only thing I can figure then is that the filler opening has been pried up somehow.

Took off front cowl, all headlight brackets are good and tight. I guess since the headlight is mounted by rubber washers, it's made to shake a little while on freeway speeds or bumpy roads (more than the bike it's self)
    Did you check that the vertical adjustment screw was secure and the tension spring still in place?

Born In The USA

• Just took the cap off, inspected the tank and cap, everything looks normal. Tightened it all down, still sits the same way. Chrome part of gas cap still sits raised in the front; and black center of cap still sits raised in the front a little.

Mine fit like that on the original 2002 tank. It fits better on the replacement tank, but it's still up on one side a little more than the other. If you go fast enough, you can't see that.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Interesting. Only thing I can figure then is that the filler opening has been pried up somehow.
    Did you check that the vertical adjustment screw was secure and the tension spring still in place?
    Vertical adjuster spring is in place. From what I can tell, the shaking is normal, now that Im sure all is tight in the headlight assembly. The only way to get rid of it would be replace the rubber washers with solid ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Mine fit like that on the original 2002 tank. It fits better on the replacement tank, but it's still up on one side a little more than the other. If you go fast enough, you can't see that.
    I dont mind the look of it. I dont want to be losing gas as vapor or leaking. I can constantly smell gas around the filler cap so im paranoid its evaporating away.
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

In Charge of McGov Only

Come on over on Saturday and we can take a look at it for you. I'm not really a mechanic, but have been working on REX's for 11 years now. Plus I have a hotline to God. Free food too.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...August-4th-4pm

BadAss Hooligan

Mine's that way on my '03 tank as well.

Born In The USA

The vent o-ring may be out of place or missing under the cap ring. Just a thought.

Blew right past this:
    "Is this how it is supposed sit while closed? (hard to see but actual black fuel cap does not sit flush)"

Yes it is hard to see in the picture. The fuel cap should sit flush in the outer ring. I was looking at how the ring did not come down to the tank at the outside.
    Go over to Pete's and a solution will be found.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Cadman; 08-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

The vent o-ring may be out of place or missing under the cap ring. Just a thought.
    Mine appears to be some type of a mfg's defect Tried pulling the cap assembly off and inspecting, couldn't find anything out of place.

Hooligan

Blew right past this:
    "Is this how it is supposed sit while closed? (hard to see but actual black fuel cap does not sit flush)"

Yes it is hard to see in the picture. The fuel cap should sit flush in the outer ring. I was looking at how the ring did not come down to the tank at the outside.
    Go over to Pete's and a solution will be found.
    Good luck.
    Vent O-ring (im guessing on the right side of the filler) IS missing, but shouldnt cause it to sit up.
    I do know the rubber seal is just barely making contact (put some fluid on the lip to test); but dont know if its sealing well enough.

Thanks for the invite, its a little far from me but i'd like to come out. Ill try. There isn't some special initiation ritual is there?
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

In Charge of McGov Only

Vent O-ring (im guessing on the right side of the filler) IS missing, but shouldnt cause it to sit up.
    I do know the rubber seal is just barely making contact (put some fluid on the lip to test); but dont know if its sealing well enough.

Thanks for the invite, its a little far from me but i'd like to come out. Ill try. There isn't some special initiation ritual is there?
    Kinda far? Everything in LA is only 20 minutes away.

No, no initiation rituals, well not unless you want us to.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

There is that thing they do with the goat

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

In Charge of McGov Only

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    There is that thing they do with the goat
    Damn you

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    Damn you

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Born In The USA

Without the vent o-ring, the vapors are free to find their own way out and you have described the result of that.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

these zrxs are turning out to be something else with all these inherent problems; please tell me this is NOT a problem with the starter tensioner.

2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

BadAss Hooligan

these zrxs are turning out to be something else with all these inherent problems; please tell me this is NOT a problem with the starter tensioner.

Contact KWICK ,or see parts made by zrx members.

BadAss Hooligan

Theres a ride Ricky is doing to Newcombs tomorrow,as well as Petes raffle gathering. Next sat ride through Ojai.