+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Watch you petcocks....

Thought the oil smelt of gas last night when preparing for today's ride...decided I had better replace the o-ring I bought 6-8 months back from Kwick (and neglected to install at that time).

Bike has been smelling of raw gas a little bit recently so I've been thinking something was up with it.

Pulled off the fuel line and sure enough....drip, drip, drip....wouldn't stop and was coming surprising faster than I would have expected. Petcock was in the "on" position...not "prime". Put line back on and switched it to "Res"...same deal. Having read that nothing should come out of the petcock unless the engine is running and sucking on the nipple...this is not a good sign.

Followed Kwick's how-to and job was done in 15 mins. Petcock no longer dripped with the knob in the "on" position. Tapped on each float bowl with the handle of long screw driver in hopes of loosening any stuck floats within their bowls.

Changed the oil and filter and felt better knowing I probably fixed the issue. But am now thinking I may change the oil again soon as today when checked again and thinking it still smells of gas....but I know the petcock isn't leaking anymore so maybe one of the floats is still stuck or maybe the gas smell is just residue left in the engine from last night before the oil change?

Carbs are coming off next weekend for a jet kit so I'll take the opportunity to do a cleaning in case the floats are still sticking. Any thoughts or comments welcomed as I know I'm not the only person to go through this. Thanks
    Last edited by Mike Smith; 06-03-2012 at 05:53 PM.

2005 ZRX in the faster GREEN color
    2009 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    2015 Concours 1400 in the faster GREEN color

2003 ZRX Custom Black & Red flavored (For Sale)

Kawasaki ZRX Owners Association Member #8327

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Watch you petcocks....

Gas in the oil is a 2-step process requiring (1) a failed petcock gasket (you fixed) and (2) weak/failing float needle in carb(s). One maintenance item being kicked around on the Concours board is that the float valves' internal springs tend to weaken over time and should be replaced (floats "stick" because the spring has lost its ability to close the valve without the tap to free it up). Current thinking is around 5 years is the needle's limit, at least for the Concours needles (which are smaller than the ZRX needles). This is the link to that discussion: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.ph...html#msg181176 Of course, you have a corroded seat, or crud build-up on the rubber tip.

If you're installing a jet kit, I'd get new float needles and install them (set floats with carbs off bike w/level at bottom of carb body, +/- 1mm. Float height affects mixture at particular points in the range.

The float needles from Kaw are $25/ea (KL may have cheaper versions) so if you just want to replace the affected float needles, pull your plugs to see which is/are wet and/or running rich (darker than the others). A bad float needle will create a rich mixture. If all of the plugs are dark, that suggests all of the needles are bad and should be replaced.
    Last edited by Copyguy; 06-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks CopyGuy...

Just went and re-read Kwick's tech tip....looks like I missed a bit..

"Remove the spark plugs, REMOVE THE ELECTRIC POWER LEADS FROM THE COILS!! Put a rag over the head and spin the motor to get the gas out of the cylinders. "

I didn't do this...it makes perfect sense too...but I like the idea of confirming which float valve might be sticking via the plug color. I'll do this next weekend. And maybe change the oil again too.

BadAss Hooligan

If you are pulling the carbs, you might want to replace the fuel line while you have the carbs out, as there is no other way to do it.

The stock fuel line has a larger diameter on the petcock side than the carb side, so your choice is order a new line from Kawi, or use a 1.99 inline fuel filter, IIRC it is 3/8 on the tank side, 5/16 on the carb side, so get an inline that you can snip the ends to get the right size for the hoses.

Nothing will screw up your needles and seats faster than a piece of rubber flaking off in the hose and washing into the carbs.

Devils’ Advocate

Do not buy any K&L needles or gaskets. They are poop. Ethanol turns 'em to mush.

The springs do not go bad, but the floats warp a bit and need resetting every now and then. When I rebuild the ZRX carbs, the level is always too high by about 5mm (too small a float measurement)

I clean the Viton tips with 3M "Adhesive & Wax Remover" #03607 on a terry cloth towel. There is always a ring around them that comes right off. Test by pulling a vacuum with a MityVac on the fuel nipple, carbs upside down with floats in place...it should hold 10-15 in/hg indefinitely.

The o-rings between the carbs can cause this test to fail. The needles rarely go bad. Install the o-rings first...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...

Quote Originally Posted by Neggy View Post
    Nothing will screw up your needles and seats faster than a piece of rubber flaking off in the hose and washing into the carbs.

Drove me crazy trying to figure that one out.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

"The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isn’t remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Drove me crazy trying to figure that one out.
    Yup.
    The 1200's have two screens in the fuel tee to stop that, but it still happens.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

c10's best friend

Didn't see it mentioned........don't forget to check/clean the float needle seats while you're in there.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

New, but just to this Board

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Do not buy any K&L needles or gaskets. They are poop. Ethanol turns 'em to mush.

The springs do not go bad, but the floats warp a bit and need resetting every now and then. When I rebuild the ZRX carbs, the level is always too high by about 5mm (too small a float measurement)

I clean the Viton tips with 3M "Adhesive & Wax Remover" #03607 on a terry cloth towel. There is always a ring around them that comes right off. Test by pulling a vacuum with a MityVac on the fuel nipple, carbs upside down with floats in place...it should hold 10-15 in/hg indefinitely.

The o-rings between the carbs can cause this test to fail. The needles rarely go bad. Install the o-rings first...
    Hi I am trying to get an O ring for my petcock, I went to your webpage to fill the card was unable how can I get an O ring?

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by ardo View Post
    Hi I am trying to get an O ring for my petcock, I went to your webpage to fill the card was unable how can I get an O ring?
    $1.00 each, $1.00 shipping

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. I'll keep you posted on what I find when I pull the carbs this coming weekend.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ardo View Post
    Ardo...give Pete a call...he'll fix you up and can help with any technical questions you have. He's a great guy!

BadAss Hooligan

good call on cleaning the viton tips and mity vac Pete. I also pull out the eye loupe and make sure there's no oxidation between the rubber and the aluminum needle body. Had some on my 11tyhunnert like that. causing the needle to be all wop sided. Wouldn't seat for ch^t until I cleaned it out. Good for two years now.

BadAss Hooligan

When I had stuck float last summer,I changed oil and filter,put on about 75 miles,changed oil and filter again. Might have been overkill but I don't think all the oil drains out when changed. I also installed a Russell fuel filter that had a few pieces of trash in it when I checked it a few weeks ago.Freakin' gasohol sucks.

BadAss Hooligan

damn ethanol fuel...