+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Very Special"
    Seat 4A on the lytnin bus.

Cheapest way to get a private pilots liscense?

I know we have a lot of pilots on the board here, Just looking for some info. With some help from others far more experienced than myself I have been working on my own design for plane I eventually hope to build and fly. Would like some information on what the easiest/cheapest way to get a pilots liscense is.
    I have no rex...no bike at all... Im working on it.

Lil' Rascal's Froggy
    motorcitywho?

Re: Cheapest way to get a private pilots liscense?

steal F'n Daves wallet and identityhe's easy after a few beverages
    ZRXOA #8282 ZRX1109 Turbo Division Member #30 December 2012 BOTM winner
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    in my efforts to continue to copy Rob....
    Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    You, Sir, are a bad, bad, tasteless man. Can I marry you?????

Satan's Donkey

I'm all for saving money but with a pilots license I'm thinking quality over savings......
    Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

my brakes are the only thing I drag

Join the Air Force. They'll even pay for your flight time.

"Very Special"

I dont have good enough eyes to fly for the military.

I'm a 5% er

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Roman View Post
    I have been working on my own design for plane

. Would like some information on what the easiest/cheapest way to get a pilots liscense is.
    I dont have good enough eyes to fly for the military.

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Hooligan

Find a place that rents a Cessna 150/152 with independent instructors. You should be able to rent the 150/152 for $80 per hour and you can find instructors for $50 an hour.

You'll need a minimum of 40 hours rental ($3200) and at least 20 hours with the instructor ($1000). With that said, you will probably end up with closer to 70/80 hours total before you get your rating and you'll probably end up paying the instructor for 40+ hours.

Forget the expensive ground schools. Buy the ASA/Gleim books and/or software and pass your written exam on the cheap. It's not that hard.

With the drop out rate as high as 80%, if you really want to get your license you might want to consider a school like this one in FL, and you'll be done with your license in 2 weeks:

http://www.tailwheelsetc.com/private_pilot.html

Even if you take 5 years learning to fly, once you get your license it's just a license to continue to learn. Instead of having an instructor telling you what you can/can't do, it's up to you and your judgement to make sure you have the proper training for whatever it is you want to do.

I'm a 5% er

This kid can't afford a ZRX...

you really think he is gonna get a pilots license?

PLEASE...

not to mention build his own airplane...

"Very Special"

I can afford a zrx, its just not 1 on my priorities list.

1. debt
    2. House for wife an daughter
    3. Zrx

I'm a 5% er

I can afford a zrx, its just not 1 on my priorities list.

1. debt
    2. House for wife an daughter
    3. Zrx
    so, I guess inquiring about a pilots license and building your own airplane is the next logical step.....

OK..

thanks for clearing that up.

"Very Special"

Last i checked, inquiry was free, i assume it is still..

The best answer then is that there is no cheap way to get a license. Even if a family member was an instructor and had a plane you'd still be out the gas and several adult beverages and several steak dinners. Otherwise plan on about 5k to get a basic PPL for VFR conditions. I'd buy an ultralight.

"Very Special"

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi Vandal View Post
    The best answer then is that there is no cheap way to get a license. Even if a family member was an instructor and had a plane you'd still be out the gas and several adult beverages and several steak dinners. Otherwise plan on about 5k to get a basic PPL for VFR conditions. I'd buy an ultralight.
    gotta have at least a sport pilots license to fly with a passenger.

Id be more inclined to buy beer and stake if I had a plane I could borrow. at least then I would know it was money well spent.

BadAss Hooligan

you might have a better chance flying a hot air balloon.
    ZRXOA #7915 ~ BOTM January 2013
    SNERR#23 and SNEWR member in good standing

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyCutter View Post
    You just can't run around high on meth, armed to the teeth with zombie apocalypse weapony, tasing bitches. It's not normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoRay31 View Post
    Republic lost. Let's ride bikes until they come for the guns.
    NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BadAss Hooligan

I was paying 115/hr wet for a PA-28, and 45 hours for a CFI.

There is no cheap way to do it unless you have a family member that is a CFI and they own the plane.

Just to keep most planes in the air, the fuel is going to run you a MINIMUM of 60 dollars an hour.

I have stopped flying because I can not justify the expense anymore. My last lesson cost me well over 600 bucks.

If you are going to take lessons, you have to fly as often as you can, so on a good weekend you can drop 700 bucks, do that over the course of a couple of months and it does not take long to blow through 10K.

Cloud 9
    save the snail

DR,

AV80R,neggy, and john t, summed it up pretty well. you are looking and 6k to 8k for the certificate and to gain pilot proficiency.

light sport flying is a different animal. your design may or may not qualify under the light sport rules.

as for building the airplane, i would recommend some aviation maintenance training. learn acceptable, methods techniques and practices.

i hold a mechanic's certificate, i have inspection authority, and spent 3 yrs building an airplane. (see avatar).

good luck. i hope you achieve your goals.
    "uuhh the other larry" - rwynant 2009

"remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - dale carnegie

three time winner of the ZRXOA picture game.

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r-green - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r-black - proof my wife loves me
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

http://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/encinitas.html

"Very Special"

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    DR,

AV80R,neggy, and john t, summed it up pretty well. you are looking and 6k to 8k for the certificate and to gain pilot proficiency.

light sport flying is a different animal. your design may or may not qualify under the light sport rules.

as for building the airplane, i would recommend some aviation maintenance training. learn acceptable, methods techniques and practices.

i hold a mechanic's certificate, i have inspection authority, and spent 3 yrs building an airplane. (see avatar).

good luck. i hope you achieve your goals.
    I appreciate all the good advice on the thread, and also the nay sayers who come on here to discourage. Im not one to let what anyone else thinks discourage me from achieving my goals. I have done a lot of research over the past several years and done quite a bit of study in aerodynamics and how they interact with different shapes and such. Ive got quite a few connections to draw knowledge from who are either building, or have built their own planes, I think I can make it happen, I was just casting the net to see if there was any other pathways to getting that ticket.
    Last edited by Dead Roman; 05-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Born In The USA

I would add, if they day comes where you can consider going for it, do it intensively. All the data you have to keep in your head to fly is not part of most folks daily routine. "Taking a break" for a month or so will cost you, as you will be repeating steps you have already taken when you go back.
    I sold a car and took the money to the airport. I took the AOPA 3 day ground school after reading a few books. The ground school cleared up my questions and I did well on the test as a result.
    It was a dream I had all my life. I was married, had a 5 year old son, my wife did not work, and I worked in an auto parts store. I fixed up a few cars and sold them and repaired cars and trucks on the side.
    If it is important to you, don't listen to the negitive, change your mind and your life so your dream can come true. Pilots tend to respect each other as we know what it takes to get that certificate. You can do it. It will not be easy, but it is personally rewarding.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2007 ZX14

1995 GPz1100

1981 GPz550
    Born to turn

Unleavened Cracker

Things are way more than when I learned to fly through The Navy Flying Club while active duty in the Corps. $26 per hr wet w/instructor for either a PA-38 or a 152. Solo in 7 hrs, checkride in 36 hrs (part 141 school). I am not current and haven't been for about 4-5 years but my last few rentals were about $115 per hr wet for a 172 and about $145 for a 182.

ASEL, Complex, high performance.

Name:  Jul25-11.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  55.5 KB
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight...

Hooligan

LMAO J T yer ....'n brutal man, not going to ytrap this year? As for the license? There were a couple of brothers back in the day who built a plane and flew it... I don't think they had one.
    Last edited by desertcrash; 05-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

One way to reduce costs might to see if you can trade labor / etc for flight time/ instruction at a local FBO , flight school. Might be a long shot, but you never know- I have talked to several other people whom have done that over the years. I am working on my private pilot lic right now. Will probably cost me $7-8K when all is done.

I wouild love to buile my own plane - but really when you look at what it cost to do so - may not save you any money. With the current economy, it's still a buyers market. But there is a lot of junk out there too. Gary

The guy with the jars!

Come to Arkansas I know a few guys who fly and have never had a license
    "Be who you are and say what you think, cause people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.

-Dr Seuss..

BadAss Hooligan

Uuuuhhhhhhh....

It's been covered.

Plan on 7-8 grand minimum. Save up the money and bang it out all at once.

Then...you have to fly regularly...or you WILL be dangerous to yourself and others.

Aviation sucks...it is a money pit until you get paid to do it, and then when you do get paid to do it, you make dirt for years and years and years unless you can get a major airline job or good corporate aviation job. Those jobs are hard to come by...very competetive...

What sucks is I love aviation and would not want to do anything else.

If you are serious and have the financial means, there are ways to make a job of it...but since you mentioned house/ wife/ kids / debt I don't see much hope...even as an 18 year old guy eating ramen noodles and working 2-3 jobs and living with 2-5 room-mates, it is hard to scrape by initially.

If all you want is a private, I wouldn't recommend it as a hobby unless you are financially set enough to fly at least once a week...otherwise, you are an accident waiting to happen.

Shane

Turn To The Spice! - "Macho Man" Randy Savage - Slim Jim Commercial

Born In The USA

Unfortunatly, there is a lot of truth in what Shane said.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2007 ZX14

1995 GPz1100

1981 GPz550
    Born to turn

The Maytag Man
    Blinky

I fly every day, from many airports, flying lot's of different aircraft. I have around 3400 landings at the present time. My total cost for my flying so far is around 35 dollars. My instructor and ground school are free. I will never have a real license but I have a lot of fun.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Mucho, Mucho, bang for the buck.
    Charter XO Turtle Member

Ben Zeppa
    1996 Honda Pacific Coast called NATUR
    2001 Honda Goldwing
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Sun City-Valley of the Dead!
    Semper Fi

I was born to have adventure.

You can look into a Recreational license. There are restrictioins, no more than 50NM from base, cannot operate in controlled airspace, VFR only (obviously), etc. You can build time and upgrade later, finances permitting.

Even commercial jobs pay nothing for a few years.

Typical village idiot,
    except for the accent

Is a spelling test required?
    You can take the Englishman out of England, but you'll never take England out the Englishman.

KING of BLINGWICH...with a dash of mayo
    his bearings ain't right

Some very good and truthful info so far.

What are your goals here? Just want to fly around the patch and check a personal achievement box? Maybe go the sport pilot route.

Want to go from A to B? Need to go the Private route.

Do you have ANY medical conditions that need to be declared? The medical is not that tough but if you are EVER declined, it is a tough thing to get back.

No matter what it is an expensive thing to do but if you have the desire, you will find a way.

I don't know how you ride your bike but don't do anything stupid in an airplane. It will kill you. Other than that, it is one of the coolest things you will ever do.

Typical village idiot,
    except for the accent

30 years ago I got turned down for training to fly back seat in one of these because I'm SLIGHTLY red/green colour blind.
    Attached Images  
    You can take the Englishman out of England, but you'll never take England out the Englishman.