+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Water pump weep hole leak?

I have an oil leak from the water pump weep hole. Can someone tell me what fische has that seal for it that is causing the problem. I looked at the crankcase and radiator/water pump fisches but no luck. Can someone locate it for me?

Thanks,
    Herb

Born In The USA
    I chased that on a ZX1000. It has been years, but it seems to me it was a "standard" size seal, but I couldn't find one locally. I changed the pump so the bike could go to it's new owner.
    Good luck.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2007 ZX14

1995 GPz1100

1981 GPz550
    Born to turn

Wildcat Hooligan
    Just buy the pump. I had a coolant leak into the oil and couldn't find a seal to fit it. Way easier to replace the pump with either new or used. Just my .02
    Godspeed Brian, I hope you get that Mitsubishi flyin' in heaven bro. I will always miss you.

BadAss Hooligan
    Replacing the water pump will not solve the problem. It's not leaking coolant, it is definitely oil coming out. I figure it has to have a seal on the drive from the crankcase somewhere, I just can't figure out where.

Thanks and you next guess is?

Herb

Born In The USA
    The water pump drive has the oil seal in it.
    Many others have had this problem. The weep hole is located between the two seals. Water sealed on one side and oil sealed on the other. It's not hard to remove the pump if you want to take a look, but you will have to bleed the air out when it goes back together. Maybe more than once.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2007 ZX14

1995 GPz1100

1981 GPz550
    Born to turn

Kwickipedia
    There is an o-ring around the outside that can be replaced.
    Are you sure it is coming out the weep hole?

A leaking pet cock will cause oil to leak out of the bottom of the airbox and it'll deposit down by the waterpump. Drian the little bottle under the pulser cover.

If it is coming out the weep hole, the seal on the engine side is bad and you need a new waterpump, Kaw does not sell any service parts for it.

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything."
    --Homer Simpson

"I possess in my pocket, a device capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers."
    ....Todd Fernandez, future Doctorate

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by cbxbikenut View Post
    Replacing the water pump will not solve the problem. It's not leaking coolant, it is definitely oil coming out. I figure it has to have a seal on the drive from the crankcase somewhere, I just can't figure out where.

Thanks and you next guess is?

Herb
    Actually if it is coming out of the weep hole, replacing the water pump is the only way to solve the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by chrly View Post
    A lot of the fun is going out of this place at a real quick pace .

Got a sloppy shifter? I can fix that
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222626

Jims_rex 4430

BadAss Hooligan
    So what you are saying is the water pump has both a seal for the water on one side of the weep hole and on the other side is a seal that seals the oil from the crankcase from escaping. It is not available separate and must be bought with the water pump.

Is that correct? That is why I can't find the seal listed anywhere separate?

Thanks,
    Herb

Founder, Long Riders Club
    Ol' Step & a Half

Quote Originally Posted by cbxbikenut View Post
    So what you are saying is the water pump has both a seal for the water on one side of the weep hole and on the other side is a seal that seals the oil from the crankcase from escaping. It is not available separate and must be bought with the water pump.

Is that correct? That is why I can't find the seal listed anywhere separate?

Thanks,
    Herb
    yes that is correct

unless your in japan where you might source a seal for it
    ytrap, itchybutt, gary1129, mavrek, monkey pincher, & all those we miss you
    "ckempf" I knew this would happen. Yesterday I publicly recognized that Sillyhillbilly is a literary genius. Now your trying to imitate his style. Don't work, give it up.:nonono
    if a three person romp is called a threesome
    if a two person romp is called a twosome
    does this mean we call you handsome?
    QUOTEphilobeddoe; ]i agree with marvin, which means the world is going to explode in 10, 9, 8, 7, ...

Kwickipedia
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyhillbilly View Post
    yes that is correct

unless your in japan where you might source a seal for it
    Ahhh-sew!

--Homer Simpson

"I possess in my pocket, a device capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers."

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869

Wildcat Hooligan
    Like I said, new pump needed. Two seals inside if you get water in the oil or vice versa, badabing-badaboom new pump. Been there, don't chase your tail.
    Godspeed Brian, I hope you get that Mitsubishi flyin' in heaven bro. I will always miss you.

I Make Nice Stuff
    This morning, after an oil change on my 51K rex, I run the motor for 5 min. After I shut it down I see a big drop of dirty oil on the garage floor. Upon a close inspection w/ flashlight I see a drop of oil on the water pump weep hole. After wiping it w/ my finger I see a crusty ring around the hole indicating it had been there for a while. This made no sense to me until I read this thread. Guess I need a water pump.

Lois: Peter are you drunk?
    Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up drinking all night.

BadAss Hooligan
    While you you are at it, check for cracked paint at the black tube flange where it bolts up. I've had 2 crack at the weld and leak.

I'm Canadian!
    Can coolant get into the oil here without one knowing until the engine goes boom??

Pops
    Size matters, good thing I drive a huge bus.

Kwickipedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Can coolant get into the oil here without one knowing until the engine goes boom??

Pops
    No.
    The weep hole is between the water seal and the oil seal and either goes out the hole.

--Homer Simpson

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869

I'm Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    No.
    The weep hole is between the water seal and the oil seal and either goes out the hole.

Good to know and thanks. I guess that would be a really stupid way to design an engine wouldn't it.

Pops
    Size matters, good thing I drive a huge bus.

Kwickipedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Good to know and thanks. I guess that would be a really stupid way to design an engine wouldn't it.

Pops
    ...it's a Kawasaki...it could happen....

--Homer Simpson

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869

BadAss Hooligan
    It's a weap hole to tell you it's F#ked, mmmm I am crying - maybe I am sad , oh wait a minute that will be the blood pishin out of me

It's not a breather for FFS

BadAss Hooligan
    It's telling you mother Kaw wants money. Big money for a little seal because she won't sell just the seal. You have to buy the f'n whole water pump to get the little seal.

You're screwed paying $150 for a $3 seal.

Herb

Kwickipedia
    The pump does not come apart.

--Homer Simpson

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869