+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Young and the 'Rex-less

Anybody think the goodtimes of good motorcycles has passed?

Noticed it looking around out there..Seems everything peaked like 04-05ish...Lot of good streetable bikes available those years...From TL1000s, zrxs, sv's, zzrs, superhawks, Bandits, yzfs, interceptors etc etc etc..Heck even the FZ1 took a step backward. So did the interceptor...Just seemed to be a lot more choices at the time compared to now. I know sales are down lately, but even before the sales really tanked 06-07 it seemed to have kinda gone down...Everything out now costs 20% more and has more useless features than most care about. Not to mention, they seem to have gotten more high tech..Obviously emission crap...

Seems we're living in the motorcycle equivolent of what the late 70s was for cars..At least to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkra13 View Post
    Youngzrxer - the only guy that can sound like he's 13 and 80 years old in one post.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Young'un was right on the mark with his opinions.

BadAss Hooligan
    I disagree. the new bikes are incredible. and they will soon be affordable as 2-3 years of depreciation takes its toll.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

Quote Originally Posted by bossracer View Post
    I disagree. the new bikes are incredible. and they will soon be affordable as 2-3 years of depreciation takes its toll.
    Maybe. No doubt they are a bit better..Even though before they were better than 99% of riders out there....They are also less affordable, so fewer are being bought. 2-3 years from now do you really think you will be able to easily find a ninja1000? Think anything like the zrx will have sprung up creating a huge following 10 years from now? Im not seeing it.
    Youngzrxer - the only guy that can sound like he's 13 and 80 years old in one post.. .

Santa's Helper
    Isn't that around time that the economy tanked? New bike sales dropped, and a lot of good designs were left on the drawing board.

BadAss Hooligan
    only time will tell.

When the ZRX came out, no one knew or forcasted it's appeal 12 years later.

When the original 500 or 20 427 Cobras were built, no one could have predicted the cult following. Same with Hemi Cuda's, Z-28's, Boss 429's, early 80's Z1R, ELR, GPz1100's.

We'll see.

Ninja is a great bike, no doubt. so is the ZX-10, the V-4 Aprillia, the Ducati Street fighter. How about the new Buel superbike? Motus is coming on strong. Who knows what will be the next cult following? Perhaps the new BMW or Multistrada. But the ZRX loyal fan base will probably still be here in 10 or 20 more years. Plenty of them made, and our huge cult following.

You should get one. Before they go up in value and you can't afford one.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

Just Some Random Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Noticed it looking around out there..Seems everything peaked like 04-05ish...Lot of good streetable bikes available those years...From TL1000s, zrxs, sv's, zzrs, superhawks, Bandits, yzfs, interceptors etc etc etc..Heck even the FZ1 took a step backward. So did the interceptor...Just seemed to be a lot more choices at the time compared to now. I know sales are down lately, but even before the sales really tanked 06-07 it seemed to have kinda gone down...Everything out now costs 20% more and has more useless features than most care about. Not to mention, they seem to have gotten more high tech..Obviously emission crap...

Seems we're living in the motorcycle equivolent of what the late 70s was for cars..At least to me.
    Nope, you are wrong. Motorcycling peaked in '64-'65ish. Triumph, Norton, BSA, Harley Davidson, those were the years of good streetbikes. The greatest models came available then. Sales hit a bit of a downturn then.....but....

Actually, I'm wrong. Motorcycling peaked in '74-'75ish. The japanese began a wave that started with the CB750, built to the Z1, not to mention all of the small displacement 70cc to 250cc starter bikes....definately a pinicle in motorsports......

But the '80s especially '84-'85ish, with the tariff beaters, and low cost of dumped japanese motorcycles. GPz's, CB-F's factory turbos, and then the revolutionary lightweight GSXRs, not to mention the introduction of Harley's evolution motor, what a great period to be a motorcycle buyer......

Now '94 to '95ish, Ninjas, FZRs full fairinged sport bikes, it was a time that you could essentially buy a race bike with lights. And the cruiser market, with Harley's resurgence, EVERYONE started building cruisers, BMW, Ducati, MotoGuzzi, and all of the Big 4 weighed in with durable, reliable, handling examples of the genre', not to mention the rebirth of the UJM, Zephers, Bandits, CBs and late in the decade, the ZRX.......

But '04 and '05ish was okay too.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

Soon to be Sizzlean
    in the Nevada Desert!

I think all of motorcycling peaked with the B-King....

Don't Mess With The Mouse
    HOTY 2010

I think it has to do on hte most part with the age/experience of the rider. What you are asking isopinion and that is going to vary greatly. While you may find those who agree with you, I am pretty sure the range is going to pretty much all over the map...
    Are you talking about street bikes, dirt bikes, enduros, motocrossers, flat trackers , dragsters? Just way to many variables from your opening question..
    ZRXOA # 2657
    June 2001/rxrated
    Dec 2005/chrly
    Paying attention is usually the least expensive choice..

Hooligan Wannbe
    I finally had a chance to see B-king in person the other day. Guy had a cool Brocks system on it along with a lot of little mods. Really clean. We talked for a half hour at a gas station. I offered to let him get along and he said he didn't mind talking to someone that showed as much interest as I.

The only thing I didn't care for was the really wide tank. I mean,really wide with those turn signal thingies. I thought the REX had a wide tank but

I agree with almost everyone in the years the bikes went to the hounds. I hope one of the companies pulls their head out of their arse and creates something we can all go WOW about.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy crap...what a ride!'

Member #8859

Hooligan Wannbe
    Quote Originally Posted by chrly View Post
    I think it has to do on hte most part with the age/experience of the rider. What you are asking isopinion and that is going to vary greatly. While you may find those who agree with you, I am pretty sure the range is going to pretty much all over the map...
    Are you talking about street bikes, dirt bikes, enduros, motocrossers, flat trackers , dragsters? Just way to many variables from your opening question..
    Naked sport bike I think but...
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy crap...what a ride!'

Member #8859

Don't Mess With The Mouse
    HOTY 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet 56 View Post
    Naked sport bike I think but...
    Then you are talking mostly style ??
    Giving the initial question some thought, I would have to say Credit wrecked motorcycling....Credit allowed riders who had never given motorcycling a thought , to buy one , simply to keep up with teh guy down hte street who seemed to have a certain charisma, if you will,. It broke the " brotherhood of bikers" and allowed those who didn't even understand the "wave'" to join in , thinning the association and diluting hte meaning of riding.. Something broke they called 3A.....and it began...

Just my simple opinion of course

Wish I could sit down with Todd for a long conversation.. HE could write what I am thinking and make it real.....
    ZRXOA # 2657
    June 2001/rxrated
    Dec 2005/chrly
    Paying attention is usually the least expensive choice..

Could use some counseling
    They still do motorcycles right in Europe, Japan, etc, all of the generic cruisers and ass-ugly modern rice-rockets they sell here make me

Of course I love the Rex, but this also gives me a warm feeling in my loins...

Why why why do riders in this country have s--t taste in bikes?

I'm in ur suitcase, quotin ur postz....

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXMike63 View Post
    Holy s__t, you guys are a__holes. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
    I think I am done with this board, there are way too many cold hearted pricks on here. You guys make me sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac View Post
    The Man with the Red Hat is Curious Andi's best internet friend and mentor, the reassuring parental presence who trusts Andi unconditionally, never expecting him to get into trouble

BadAss Hooligan
    I didn't see Triumph listed in any of the replies above.
    I work at a Triumph dealer and ride a lot of models and I have to say Triumph has some good bikes.
    The Speed triple seems to be a very nice machine, atleast the mile or 2 I rode it.
    There are a couple others also that I liked while test riding.

I know if I was in the market for another bike the Speed triple would be in the top 3 I would consider.
    Quote from Ted Nugent;
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders".
    "DON'T Tread on Me! the second Amendment of the Bill of Rights IS my concealed carry permit!"
    Quote from Piers Morgan to Ted Nugent;
    "I would love to suck on your machine gun"

Legal Eagle
    Today's bikes are incredible. They outperform and are more reliable than those from the past. A lot of the price increase has to do with the value of the dollar compared to the yen and euro and, of course the electronics. ABS, traction control, adjust on the fly suspension, great brakes, incredible tire options. Where's the problem?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by andi1978 View Post
    They still do motorcycles right in Europe, Japan, etc, all of the generic cruisers and ass-ugly modern rice-rockets they sell here make me
    I guess I'm in the same boat, the cruisers and sportbikes don't appeal to me,
    but what I do like (naked standards that do not resemble transformers) do not
    sell well here so I guess I'll keep the ZRX as long as possible and then do a
    sport tourer (FJR or Concours unless they mess those up too) when the time
    comes.

BigD

Into the distance, a ribbon of black, stretched to the point of no turning back

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct
    This is possibly one of the most ludicrous statements you have ever made
    You are comparing the current crop of Hi tech sport bikes with ABS Traction control far more ability then 99.9% riders can use to Bloated pigs of cars with barely 200hp out of a 5 litre motors doing 12mpg and with no handling, suspension , quality or comfort
    maybe your comparo was between your guzzi and that era of vehicle

Though as others have said , US taste in bikes is sh^t , I like my current stable much , both nakeds and both a blast in their different ways. Get ye a KTM you won't reget it , great street bike, great track bike , they did it right with that bike
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's
    Nope.

I think that it is yet to come for most people NEW to the concept.

Unfortunately that means plenty of stupidity will expand along with it.

The reason I think this is because of the costs involved with driving and the hassles involved.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Perko has a good point though....

BadAss Hooligan
    Ah, the first sign of growing older: nostalgia.
    Go for a ride. Take it easy.

BadAss Hooligan
    I think the new bikes are killer, but I sure like the OP's list of bikes to buy used...clean SVs around $2500, ZZRs around $3500. Man, these are good times to explore the used markets.
    ZRX/SV

Devilsí Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
    I think all of motorcycling peaked with the B-King....

Z50A
    CB400F
    CBX
    Z1
    Z1RTC
    GPz750 Turbo
    1984-85 GSXR750
    CBR900RR
    KZ650
    RD350
    KZ550
    ...above in no particular order. But all were landmark bikes.
    There will be more, but the Z1000 touring bike ain't one.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJohn View Post
    Nope, you are wrong. Motorcycling peaked in '64-'65ish. Triumph, Norton, BSA, Harley Davidson, those were the years of good streetbikes. The greatest models came available then. Sales hit a bit of a downturn then.....but....

Actually, I'm wrong. Motorcycling peaked in '74-'75ish. The japanese began a wave that started with the CB750, built to the Z1, not to mention all of the small displacement 70cc to 250cc starter bikes....definately a pinicle in motorsports......

But the '80s especially '84-'85ish, with the tariff beaters, and low cost of dumped japanese motorcycles. GPz's, CB-F's factory turbos, and then the revolutionary lightweight GSXRs, not to mention the introduction of Harley's evolution motor, what a great period to be a motorcycle buyer......

Now '94 to '95ish, Ninjas, FZRs full fairinged sport bikes, it was a time that you could essentially buy a race bike with lights. And the cruiser market, with Harley's resurgence, EVERYONE started building cruisers, BMW, Ducati, MotoGuzzi, and all of the Big 4 weighed in with durable, reliable, handling examples of the genre', not to mention the rebirth of the UJM, Zephers, Bandits, CBs and late in the decade, the ZRX.......

But '04 and '05ish was okay too.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Youngzrxer - the only guy that can sound like he's 13 and 80 years old in one post..

Golden era of bikes - what a totally subjective statement. In 100 years, they'll be looking back at this as the dinosaur era of bikes and transportation in general, as they zoom around on nuclear powered wunderbikes - anyone that still remembers the smell and sound of gasoline powered motors will be "that old fart". Infernal combustion is barely 100 years old, it's time for it to move on anyhow.
    Originally Posted by jimmyc
    "whenever i want to be stoked that I won the genepool lottery i read threads like this... oh brother.." beautiful!

'03 St1300
    '01 black ZRX gone
    ZRXOA #6468
    '78 cb400TII
    '77 cb750 F2 SOHC

Parts Vulture!
    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Z50A
    CB400F
    CBX
    Z1
    Z1RTC
    GPz750 Turbo
    1984-85 GSXR750
    CBR900RR
    KZ650
    RD350
    KZ550
    ...above in no particular order. But all were landmark bikes.
    There will be more, but the Z1000 touring bike ain't one.
    Forgot the '69 H1 numbnutz the first superbike.
    Loctite...a Harleys best friend.

Thats sig line material

Devilsí Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHIV View Post
    Forgot the '69 H1 numbnutz the first superbike.
    ...sorry Dude....

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan
    If variety is the spice of life motorcycling and motorcyles have never been healthier or happier in my opinion. There's more choice, options, availability and most important riders than ever before.

If I was in the market to buy a new bike my head would explode, you can get narrow definition sport bikes, dual purpose, all arounds, tourers, heck you can even get a three-wheeler off a showroom floor and depending on the brand you can get two in front or two behind!

Although the Spyder does look too much like a snow mobile for me I'm glad to see them. Chances are they have someone on them that wouldn't have joined the sport on a two-wheeler and now has an appreciation for riding and riders which means they are less likely to accidentally cream me with their car!

You can even get a Ural with 2WD, I saw a picture of a guy SNOWPLOWING his diner's parking lot with one TREMENDOUS!

We have multiple US made (or final assy.) being produced and more and more European and Asian models turning up all the time. The more you look, the more you find.

I remember the late 70's for cars... I don't see a parallel trend at all sorry.
    ZRXOA 1490

Parts Vulture!
    They dropped the ball on the Spyder as far as the handicapped.
    They should have integrated the brakes on a lever instead of a
    brake pedal.
    There was a guy in a chair at bikenite last Thusday eyeing one
    and asking if the brake and shifter could be done at the handlebars.
    Loctite...a Harleys best friend.

The Big Red Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRex02 View Post
    I didn't see Triumph listed in any of the replies above.
    I work at a Triumph dealer and ride a lot of models and I have to say Triumph has some good bikes.
    The Speed triple seems to be a very nice machine, atleast the mile or 2 I rode it.
    There are a couple others also that I liked while test riding.

I know if I was in the market for another bike the Speed triple would be in the top 3 I would consider.

This is on the top of my list.

FJR1300
    CB1000R
    GSXR1100

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHIV View Post
    They dropped the ball on the Spyder as far as the handicapped.
    They should have integrated the brakes on a lever instead of a
    brake pedal.
    There was a guy in a chair at bikenite last Thusday eyeing one
    and asking if the brake and shifter could be done at the handlebars.
    Off topic I know, but you can convert the Spyder to hand brakes.

On topic, I've been in the motorcycling game for a while now (since the 70s) and it seems the new bikes just keep getting better and better. Even new whole categories of bikes like the big dual-purpose/adventure bikes. ABS, fuel injection, traction control... When these were introduced in cars I thought they would be trouble, but look how well it all works.

The one thing I would say (here comes the old fart in me) why are most new bikes so ugly? If they could combine the performance of new bikes with good looks they'd really have something.
    --------------------------------------

Dave in WI
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1975 XL100
    1988 DT50

Have you ever felt the warm embrace
    Of a leather seat between your legs

ZRXOA Secret Service
    I got my 2005 ZX-10R. The 04/05 ZX-10R was the year that Mama Kaw went all out to dethrone the Suzuki GSXR and produced a bike that was "Super Lightweight" and had a "Monster" motor that 6 years later is still one of the scariest out there. It is still known as the "Widow Maker".

The 04/05 ZX-10R was as light as the 600's in 04/05 and is still as light as the 600's being produced even today and with 164 HP / 80 ft. lbs. of torque at the rear wheel and no traction control, it is real scary when you open them up.

Don't get me wrong....I love my ZRX but this thing is an ANIMAL !

Here's mine.....
    Last edited by Ducati Killer; 08-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Team Short Bus.................
    ZRXOA # 5171
    MWGP # 417

Hogan
    I notice cost of new bikes creeping up after a period of stagflation

used to be $10k would buy most anything .. then the mysterious new V-max popped up for $20k ... then BMW introduced those fancy new machines for $13k++

.. and Honda released a VN700 for $11k

if a ZRX were to be sold in the USA again before being discontinued it would probably MSRP ~$12k

maybe the cost effective days of new motorcycling is passed on by.. ?