+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Duck View Post
    Wouldn't that be taking an evolutionary step back?!
    Damn....you have another good point.....I can see I'm dealing with a cerebral jedi here.......
    "Racing is life, everything before and after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen.

Hooligan Wannbe
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Given that the current online user record was set just a few months ago (several years after the "demise" of the Rex), I have to believe the current arrangement is still working just fine.

That's what I'm talking about...

I did buy a few t-shirts to show my support and the one that says "hell yea,it's fast" is way cool.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy crap...what a ride!'

Member #8859

Hooligan Wannbe
    Advice Pro: A buddy and his Mrs. are inviting me and my Mrs. to the Keys next month. Never been. Should I go.

Absolutely! Everyone should go at least once. Make sure you stop by the tiki bar at Islandmorada and ask for a pain in the ass. It's a frozen drink. Just be careful of the optional floater.

On another note: I have a garage with tools. I should put this info in the road help section.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy crap...what a ride!'

Member #8859

Goodwill Ambassador
    Given that the current online user record was set just a few months ago (several years after the "demise" of the Rex), I have to believe the current arrangement is still working just fine.
    Good News Indeed Chris! I remember when the previous record was set too. It is good to see an active OA. My KZ Rider site is like a ghost town at times. BTW, First brew tonight is a Michelob Amber Bock, followed now by a Goose Island IPA.
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet 56 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about...

I did buy a few t-shirts to show my support and the one that says "hell yea,it's fast" is way cool.
    I can never have enough ZRX T-Shirts. BTW, the "You Rock Smiley" is a good one but what ever happened to the "Rock On" one?

Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet 56 View Post
    Advice Pro: A buddy and his Mrs. are inviting me and my Mrs. to the Keys next month. Never been. Should I go.

Absolutely! Everyone should go at least once. Make sure you stop by the tiki bar at Islandmorada and ask for a pain in the ass. It's a frozen drink. Just be careful of the optional floater.

On another note: I have a garage with tools. I should put this info in the road help section.
    Advice well taken. Might have to fly down next month, Thanks Pro! And good on you for stepping up on the "Road Help Section" I am listed with a truck and such in case anyone gets in road trouble out by me.

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

2009 Hooligan of the year
    ...what ever happened to the "Rock On" one?
    Click on "More" in the lower corner of the smiley selection box and you'll find it in the plethora of other smilies that live there.

Or just type : rockon : and that'll do it too.

Goodwill Ambassador
    Click on "More" in the lower corner of the smiley selection box and you'll find it in the plethora of other smilies that live there.

Or just type : rockon : and that'll do it too.

Thanks Man! I swear that I have been there but didn't see it on a couple of occassions. Just like when my Dad used to take me Morel Mushroom hunting in the spring when I was a very young lad. He used to wait patiently until I would see the mushrooms.

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

Hooligan
    I was on rec.motorcycles in the mid 90's. Then I moved on to a sportbike newsgroup and then a mailing list and a few other things now this. Just passing through....

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I was on rec.motorcycles in the mid 90's. Then I moved on to a sportbike newsgroup and then a mailing list and a few other things now this. Just passing through....
    Philosophically speaking aren't we all? BTW, good taste in your ZRX!

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

BadAss Hooligan
    pizz off... if i wanna talk about my KTM, i'll go someplace else. i wanna talk about my ZRX here!!!

and i see plenty of ZRX's around, alot offered for sale, so that stuff about extinction is jive....

evolution is an act of nature, it just happens, then some educated dorks study it in hindsight. life is now.......

BadAss Hooligan
    I think, in the long-term it'll shrink. Will it wither away and die? Prolly not.
    As time goes on, others will look for a Rex-like bike. I doubt the DAEG's coming here for awhile if at all , so the current supply of Rexes fills a niche of supply. Another thing, for current members who sell theirs to non-members, spread the word . I'm sure some current members joined after buying one from a member. My $.02

Mo bhuanghra', Mo Gluaisrothar

BadAss Hooligan
    The ZRXOA works because of the type of people the ZRX attracts. In broad terms, crazy enough to love big horsepower and riding fast, smart enough to have survived to middle age despite that, understanding of the realities of riding, into doing their own maintenance and mods, and improving their riding abilities. Concerned about what really works best for us, rather than the latest/trendiest. The general crazier but smarter common mentality is what leads to the comraderie here.
    There is nothng inherently wrong with trying to attract other riders, but it risks diluting what makes the ZRXOA work. A 22 year old GSX-R squid isn't going to have the same mentality. The Z1000/1000 Ninja/Concours rider may be a lot closer, but if they didn't already belong here, why would they come to a sub forum on the ZRX board, rather than one dedicated solely to thier bikes?
    Red 02 ZRX
    1000 Ninja (Black Beauty)
    KTM 250 XC-W (Katie)
    CRF250X
    XR80
    JR50

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    ...the Concours has a Ball Coddler I read somewhere...

Hooligan Wannbe
    Quote Originally Posted by shay k View Post
    The ZRXOA works because of the type of people the ZRX attracts. In broad terms, crazy enough to love big horsepower and riding fast, smart enough to have survived to middle age despite that, understanding of the realities of riding, into doing their own maintenance and mods, and improving their riding abilities. Concerned about what really works best for us, rather than the latest/trendiest. The general crazier but smarter common mentality is what leads to the comraderie here.
    There is nothng inherently wrong with trying to attract other riders, but it risks diluting what makes the ZRXOA work. A 22 year old GSX-R squid isn't going to have the same mentality. The Z1000/1000 Ninja/Concours rider may be a lot closer, but if they didn't already belong here, why would they come to a sub forum on the ZRX board, rather than one dedicated solely to thier bikes?
    +1 Another excellent post

Member #8859

The Hooligan's Hooligan
    This may be the best post ever.

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-Skule View Post
    I would say Shay is smarter than the average Rexer(Done in Yogi Bear speak).

I am glad to have raised the basic question of "To Be or Not To Be". Whether we suffer the slings and arrows of dilution, sub-forums, and etc, this I know: We are a forthright opinionated civilized lot. And, that is a big reason 99.9% of you have my respect! Carry on my Wayward Sons....

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

BadAss Hooligan
    Well said!

What I said earlier about not having a Harley section is not because I have anything against Harley bikes, its just that I don't see it as being a good match for this forum, or something that would work out. I know there are some generally very cool Harley owners on this forum, but from personal experience, a lot of Harley riders want nothng to do with people that ride anything "less than" a Harley.

Key REXer

The ZRXOA to become extinct

yeah sure but not before we get together one more time to see a burnout......
    Last edited by Alien1; 03-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Goodbye my friends we miss you

Sir Joe Gallagher
    Garrett Warfield
    Shannon Bitzer
    Arlie Martin
    Dave Johnson
    Steve Mitchell
    Chuck Crowder
    Craig Person

BadAss Hooligan
    I myself joined after buying my second zrx from a member , I have obtained a wealth of knowledge from this board . I agree many will move on. I have more than .one bike but I still have my rex and will always be in need of information and comradery among like minded individuals .
    Zrxoa # 8962
    When you have faults do not fear to abandon them
    Confucius
    2001 Rex
    1997 yzf 1000

In Charge of McGov Only
    Extinct? Probably why I only approved 7 new members this morning.

Nice try, think of another reason.

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct
    I would say Shay is smarter than the average Rexer(Done in Yogi Bear speak).
    Course he is , you do know where he originated from
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

Admin

No need to change a thing. I participate in active forums for Ford Mavericks and Honda trail 70s. As long as folks keep these ZRXs running, this site will be relevant.

I joined the OA in 2000 (when I bought my green '00 ZRX). Was quite active on the mailing list. Things have NOT trailed off since then. The community is STILL growing. Eventually, yes, it will die off...but that could very well be many decades from now...

Personally, I feel the biggest danger to the community is the ill will towards our "fearless leader". The centerstand debacle has left deep scars and the fact that chuckc, seemingly, chooses to hide from the issue (an absentee landlord at this point) instead of manning up is disheartening. With the economy as bad as it is now, I'm sure the fact that chuckc has, basically, stolen money from many members here does not make for a healthy community.
    Last edited by iMav; 03-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    -=iMav=-
    ZRXOA #1029
    IBA #54185

Hooligan
    Great discussion here...I'd agree with those that said the ZRX attracts a certain kind of person, and what a fun group we make. Or, in my case, the ZRX finds you. My dad bought a blue 2003 late that year, rode it as his primary commuter, and gave it to me in the fall of 2009 (still bone stock at the time). I discovered the OA shortly thereafter and have been addicted ever since.

I've got hundreds of friends on Facebook, but I spend most of my online time with a bunch of strangers who ride (or rode) the ZRX! I'm not a baby boomer who grew up wrenching on motorcycles since I could hold a ratchet, I'm a newish motorcyclist standing on the shoulders of giants: you!

I greatly appreciate the perceived camaraderie that appears here even among new or infrequent participants, and I admire the craftsmanship of so many of the folks here that make amazing parts and improvements to the ZRX. To know that I can come here and trust that handmade parts from folks all over the country rival (or completely eclipse) the best commercially available parts for the ZRX is simply stunning. (I've already purchased parts from just about everyone who makes stuff here, and I've been universally impressed and happy with said purchases.)

As long as we all keep showing up, I think this group will have a long life. And I'll keep mostly lurking, mostly laughing my ass off at some of the stuff you all post.
    Jeremy

Lil' Rascal's Froggy
    motorcitywho?

Quote Originally Posted by kazman View Post

OK, anything but BMW.
    i agree but ZREXRICH can stay cuz he's HAWT!
    ZRXOA #8282 ZRX1109 Turbo Division Member #30 December 2012 BOTM winner
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    in my efforts to continue to copy Rob....
    Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    You, Sir, are a bad, bad, tasteless man. Can I marry you?????

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-Skule View Post

Do I get a trophy or something?
    Red 02 ZRX
    1000 Ninja (Black Beauty)
    KTM 250 XC-W (Katie)
    CRF250X
    XR80
    JR50

Dillweed from Dillsburg
    The plus side: We have a very active OA here. IMHO, The best not only related to our model but in general. There are as most of you would humbly point out plenty of great people, personalities, information, ideas, etc. on THE ZRXOA.org.

The down side: We have a bike that is the primary draw and has not been offered in the U.S. since 2006. Almost since joining, I have wondered the eventual fate of the ZRXOA. Will we evolve? Or, will we become extinct like our namesake, the Rex?

I for one would like to see us evolve. My vision is to open up the OA to other newer and older Kawsaki models, maybe even other manufacturers/ models(Heresy I say!). I know, I know, we have other powersports fourms including "Old School", "Dirt Bikes" and other non ZRX related forums. And, yes anyone can sign-up whether you ride or not. That is all well and good. Let's face it the initial draw and interest to sign up here is the ZRX or the people that ride them. Our beloved bike is no longer imported in this country. I just can't help but think that if we are not growing, we are dying. The aging ZRX will continue to draw new members but but at what rate? At some point there will likely be a shrinking active membership if not already. The recent threads related to the DAEG, Z-1000 and Ninja 1000 have prompted me to reflect on this more and more. I believe we offer a great forum for all motorcycle enthusiasts. We as an OA need to adapt and making a name change or provide additional forums such as "NINJA 1000", "Z-1000", etc. would be a big step in the right direction. I know there are other OAs but to me they just pale in comparison. This place rocks and I would like to see it continue and not become extinct. These are my thoughts.

I hae searched for related threads but didn't find one with this specific topic or discussion. All are welcome to voice opinions or even flame away. This topic might even make a good survey poll.
    Pal Handy is that you . . .
    Dillsburg, PA
    2002 ZRX1200
    2002 HD Wide Glide
    2000 ZX11
    1987 GSXR1100
    1986 V65 Magna
    1980 KZ1000

"If you don't have a liter, you might be a sissy . . ."

King of Kazmania
    Quote Originally Posted by zrxrob View Post
    i agree but ZREXRICH can stay cuz he's HAWT!

Alright, long as he ain't all uppity like the rest of 'em.

Last edited by kazman; 03-06-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Spelin'

" 'tis far better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    - Someone

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on,
    or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    - Someone else

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY

BadAss Hooligan
    I think it's fine just as it currently is. I am a member of the Kawasaki triples forums......while not as large as this one........fine forums in their own right and thats a bike out of production since 1975, I'm also a member on the GSresources board.......another VERY active forum and again......bikes that haven't been in production since the mid 80's.......I think as is... this board has far more years left in it then most of us will be active on it.

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkZrx View Post
    I think people may be drawn here by the original premise, ie; the ZRX, but a large percentage stay because of the members, for the most part.. We can call (name?) the message board just about anything motorcycle related, but the reason for it's being is a like minded community, with mutual interests and ideas.

The OA is evolving, regardless of what it's name is. Many active members have long since moved on to other brands/models of bikes, but it's still unique among motorcycle forums for it's camaradarie and depth of knowledge, amongst it's widely varied membership.
    ZRXOA#4874

2003 ZRX
    9.33 @ 141 DALE WALKER TUNED
    5.89 @ 117 1/8th 1.35 60'
    Pro Stock Bike
    8.00 @ 166.75 GEORGE BRYCE TUNED
    5.02 @ 136 1/8th 1.18 60'
    I LOVE MY WIFE
    Its 106 miles to Chicago, weve got a full tank of gas and a half a pack of cigarettes, its dark and were wearing sunglasses.

Dillweed from Dillsburg
    A ZRX is unique bike with a unique and diverse following. Keep it the way it is ....I'm tired of assimilating with everything else...
    Dillsburg, PA
    2002 ZRX1200
    2002 HD Wide Glide
    2000 ZX11
    1987 GSXR1100
    1986 V65 Magna
    1980 KZ1000

"If you don't have a liter, you might be a sissy . . ."