+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Goodwill Ambassador

THE ZRXOA TO BECOME EXTINCT OR EVOLVE?

The plus side: We have a very active OA here. IMHO, The best not only related to our model but in general. There are as most of you would humbly point out plenty of great people, personalities, information, ideas, etc. on THE ZRXOA.org.

The down side: We have a bike that is the primary draw and has not been offered in the U.S. since 2006. Almost since joining, I have wondered the eventual fate of the ZRXOA. Will we evolve? Or, will we become extinct like our namesake, the Rex?

I for one would like to see us evolve. My vision is to open up the OA to other newer and older Kawsaki models, maybe even other manufacturers/ models(Heresy I say!). I know, I know, we have other powersports fourms including "Old School", "Dirt Bikes" and other non ZRX related forums. And, yes anyone can sign-up whether you ride or not. That is all well and good. Let's face it the initial draw and interest to sign up here is the ZRX or the people that ride them. Our beloved bike is no longer imported in this country. I just can't help but think that if we are not growing, we are dying. The aging ZRX will continue to draw new members but but at what rate? At some point there will likely be a shrinking active membership if not already. The recent threads related to the DAEG, Z-1000 and Ninja 1000 have prompted me to reflect on this more and more. I believe we offer a great forum for all motorcycle enthusiasts. We as an OA need to adapt and making a name change or provide additional forums such as "NINJA 1000", "Z-1000", etc. would be a big step in the right direction. I know there are other OAs but to me they just pale in comparison. This place rocks and I would like to see it continue and not become extinct. These are my thoughts.

I hae searched for related threads but didn't find one with this specific topic or discussion. All are welcome to voice opinions or even flame away. This topic might even make a good survey poll.
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

2009 Hooligan of the year
    Is there still an OA for the CBX?

Have they "evolved?"

The Hooligan's Hooligan
    I bought my '02 model in '06 and even when I joined it seemed like I had missed the "peak" of the OA. Still it's a great place to hang out and BS about bikes in general.

Downside of the older bikes is that they are moving down-market. Meaning as they are worth less, the people like Kwick et al, who are willing to fab stuff for them have few customers. It's less likely that someone buying a $4000 bike will have $3000 to dress it up. It happens but I think the "modness" around here is slowing down.

Still, I've really enjoyed being part of the group and going to Rally's etc.

BadAss Hooligan
    Not likely to become extinct. I belong to 4 seperate thriving Kawasaki Triple sites. They quit building them a while ago too.
    ZRXOA Member # 8561
    Iíd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
    Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html

Suffers from Mad Kaw disease
    On a lovely tropical island near Ft. Wayne, IN
    I think people may be drawn here by the original premise, ie; the ZRX, but a large percentage stay because of the members, for the most part.. We can call (name?) the message board just about anything motorcycle related, but the reason for it's being is a like minded community, with mutual interests and ideas.

The OA is evolving, regardless of what it's name is. Many active members have long since moved on to other brands/models of bikes, but it's still unique among motorcycle forums for it's camaradarie and depth of knowledge, amongst it's widely varied membership.

YTRAP, G and Joe.... sure gonna miss you guys...

Green Blooded
    Ham & cheese

I would like to see a C14 sub forum. There are quite a few guys on here that have them. The other Connie forums I go to are pale compared to here.
    It ain't easy being cheesy.......

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post

Have they "evolved?"

, I suppose they are still around. I have never been much of a Honda guy. First bike a Kawasaki. Prolly a lot more first time Honda people out there thanks to the Mini 50 and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Skule View Post
    I bought my '02 model in '06 and even when I joined it seemed like I had missed the "peak" of the OA. Still it's a great place to hang out and BS about bikes in general.

Downside of the older bikes is that they are moving down-market. Meaning as they are worth less, the people like Kwick et al, who are willing to fab stuff for them have few customers. It's less likely that someone buying a $4000 bike will have $3000 to dress it up. It happens but I think the "modness" around here is slowing down.

Still, I've really enjoyed being part of the group and going to Rally's etc.
    Could not agree more B. And, very glad to have met and ridden with you even though you were on a Ducati at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by djfisher22 View Post
    Not likely to become extinct. I belong to 4 seperate thriving Kawasaki Triple sites. They quit building them a while ago too.
    I am a member of the kzriders.com Good group but may never have joined there but a member here pointed me in their direction when I was restoring my KZ650. They have a huge member base but the site is really not that active unlike this one. BTW, I love them there triples! Currently restoring my original two stroke enduro.

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

Devilsí Advocate

Have they "evolved?"

Yup. It's pretty active although I let my membership lapse.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Executive Vice President
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkZrx View Post

The OA is evolving, regardless of what it's name is. Many active members have long since moved on to other brands/models of bikes, but it's still unique among motorcycle forums for it's camaradarie and depth of knowledge, amongst it's widely varied membership.
    Good posting Mike. Miss seeing you this last month man.

Like a lot of you guys, I started riding back in the 60's. Motorcycling wasn't very popular then but we kept finding trails to ride, utility power line easements to ride,,, wherever we could. I was lucky, my family farmed about 1200 acres. Me and my SL-70 rode hundreds of miles on that 1200 acres.

Not a new topic to the Mods/Admins,,,, where do we go? Whiskey the Foxtrot Charlie cares? Well, we as ZRXOA members care.

I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt the UJM is coming back anytime soon. Remember the GB500? Cool bike, what a freakin' failure in my mind. Point, we're like minded folks, let's stick that way,,,,, we know each other, we all know I'm a joker and a,,,, um,,, fill in the blank.

Right now, I'm planning my R1-Forum track weekend where I'M a track coach for the newbies. I'm nervous.
    ASNF "Men of Honor"

Μολὼν λαβέ

Goodwill Ambassador
    I think people may be drawn here by the original premise, ie; the ZRX, but a large percentage stay because of the members, for the most part.. We can call (name?) the message board just about anything motorcycle related, but the reason for it's being is a like minded community, with mutual interests and ideas.

Well said Mike, Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeboileau View Post
    I would like to see a C14 sub forum. There are quite a few guys on here that have them. The other Connie forums I go to are pale compared to here.
    I Second The Motion!

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

BadAss Hooligan
    Yeah... let's make it into a zrx/maxima site.. and invite drivers on Nissan Maximas... that would be AWESOME!!!

Executive Vice President
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaboon View Post
    Yeah... let's make it into a zrx/maxima site.. and invite drivers on Nissan Maximas... that would be AWESOME!!!
    I'm lost on this one Ben. Care to shed a link as to what you're talking about?
    ASNF "Men of Honor"

Μολὼν λαβέ

Legal Eagle
    Forrest - you worry too much. This board like everything else is constantly evolving, but the comraderie and friendships and not the ZRX make this place special.

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobr View Post
    I think it is called sarcasm. Dang, my wife is selling her Nissan Sentra just when we could be getting a Nissan subforum!

BTW, Wish you the best on the R-1 Track Day Ben. Know you will do great. Have a great time with them R-1 riders!

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobr View Post
    I'm just being sarcastic Ben (Mad Duck got it. ) .... I say let the thing be... it will evolve as it will evolve..... or not.

Goodwill Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Forrest - you worry too much. This board like everything else is constantly evolving, but the comraderie and friendships and not the ZRX make this place special.
    Not worried at all. Just wanted to open this up to discussion. Like I said this place is great for ALL motorcycle enthusiasts, especially the crazy ones?! BTW Ken, you were one of the first to reach out to me when I joined. You sent me a Service Manual for the ZRX on disc. I thank you everytime I access it which is quite often.

I'm just being sarcastic Ben.... I say let the thing be... it will evolve as it will evolve..... or not.
    See Ben W. just

Hey Ben B., I owe you major thanks RE: your tips to reconnect the kickstand kill switch after or during the Kwick Kill install. If I had not done that I surely would have been one bruised ditch tater by now! Sincerely, THANKS!

Now, how about getting this evolution kick started. I say we could ;use a few new forums i.e. C-14, Ninja 1000/z1000.

member#6724
    2011 Concours ZG14
    2002 ZRX1200R
    1977 KZ650B1
    1974 F7C175

Executive Vice President
    I'm just being sarcastic Ben (Mad Duck got it. ) .... I say let the thing be... it will evolve as it will evolve..... or not.
    That I can understand.
    Thanks.

Another Ben
    ASNF "Men of Honor"

Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 Hooligan of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeboileau View Post

Well, we do have a dirt bike forum. I guess we could have a land barge forum too.

Devilsí Advocate
    Well, we do have a dirt bike forum. I guess we could have a land barge forum too.

...the Concours has a Ball Coddler I read somewhere...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

The Court's in session!
    I'm still wondering why 1200's are allowed on

But really, anyone is welcomed
    Bike,no bike,different bike
    What's tha big deal

Cheap.... Fast.... or Right
    Pick Two

Quote Originally Posted by The Judge View Post

THANK YOU!!
    Bob
    ZRXOA #37
    99 ZRX 1109
    99 ZRX 1109 turbo project
    77 GL1000 Goldwing
    72 Yamaha 100-LT2

Musical Break
    Long Island, New York (Smack In The Middle)

Lost in the mail

Damn good post!!! Nothing more needs to be said.
    DC
    "Don't make me go Postal !"

Super REXer
    I've been around here from pretty much the very beginning. I dont think we need to "evolve" at all. I dont want to seem stuck up but....this bike seems to draw a certain kind of member. Its VERY much a part of why this place is GREAT.
    Super Dave 436

CarlM
    Hell, I know 3 guys that are in a Yamaha Vision club. Our group should be around awhile. Everyone is getting older. Lots of guys are buying some other brand of bike. I think it will keep getting harder to get big turn outs of ZRX only get togethers. But maybe a lot of guys may be old enough to not buy any more new bikes.

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct
    The Rex attracts the type of person that is worth talking to , who sees substance over style, even some of the dipshits , that is all
    Have a nice day
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

The Hooligan's Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Irish View Post
    The Rex attracts the type of person that is worth talking to , who sees substance over style, even some of the dipshits , that is all
    Have a nice day
    Justin, ftw.

The Apostrophe Bar & Grill
    SE Texas. Close to LA and the Gulf of Mehico. Port Arthur, to be specific.
    Hell, ya'll already let people with orange Camaros join, how wide of a swath are you willing to cut? Joking aside, ya'll already encompass lots of leeway on what members can ride/post of. Unlike most of the Camaro sites out there that were in real trouble during their halt in production. And because the ZRX was sort of a hodepodge bike to begin with, lots of info carried over to other Kwacks. If I bought a Connie or a ZX11, I wouldn't see the need to join another site, lots of people here to answer questions already. And if they don't know they certainly are willing to give an opinion. usually without being mean spirited, something other sites lack.

CRACKERMAN
    May I suggest a "Rider Died of Natural Causes" subforum?

I can't decide if it should go above or below "Rider Down" but somewhere in that area would be good.

kthx
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

BadAss Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Judge View Post

But really, anyone is welcomed
    Bike,no bike,different bike
    What's tha big deal
    Green1100ZRXOA has a nice ring to it.
    ZRXOA Member # 8561
    Iíd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
    Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html