+ Reply to Thread
    RIP 6/29/19

Private Messages

I suspect that most of you have not figured out your Private Messages Inbox, Sent Items, & Message Tracking folders. Here is how to clean them out:

When you go to your Private Messages forum, there is a pull-down box that sometimes defaults to 10 days. If you have any messages - sent or received - that are older than 10 days, the messages will not be displayed. Soooo...

You can have full-to-the-brim folders, but nothing shows.

Go to "Private Messages" folder.
    Click the "Show Messages From: [last 10 days]" thingie and highlight "the beginning"
    Delete what you want.

Do the same thing for the "Jump to folder: [Inbox]" to do the "Sent Items" folder.

Do the same thing for the "Jump to folder: [Inbox]" to do the "Message Tracking" folder. <<< Message Tracking counts, so you need to keep those to a minimum.

That should cure things.

UPDATE - April 12, 2003

From now on when you send a Private Message you'll have to check the boxes marked

Show Signature: include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures. Check the box if you want to send your signature in your Private Message.

Save a copy: Also save a copy in the 'Sent Items' folder. Check the box if you want to save a copy. Saved copies count toward your total messages, so don't save them if you don't need to, and delete the copies when you no longer need them.

Request Read Receipt: Allows you to check whether your message has been read by the recipient. You don't always need this. Requests for read receipts also count toward your Private Message total. Delete them when you no longer need them.

These boxes are below the box that you type your PM in, and just above the "Send Reply" or "Send Message" button.

--------------------
    Members were just sending PMs without unchecking the boxes, so all messages contained a signature, all messages were being tracked, and all messages requested a Read Receipt. The whole idea of the change is to keep the message tracking folder empty because most users don't have a clue about its existence and sometimes the tracking (Read Receipt) folder got full, and a lot of people were saving copies and didn't really need them. We'll also cut bandwidth usage a little because we won't be checking for "Read Receipts" or adding signatures to PMs.

Also, your Private Message page should show messages "From the beginning" instead of "From the last 10 days" or whatever.
    Last edited by chuckc; 12-30-2007 at 07:39 PM.

RIP 6/29/19

Worked for me.

I repeat:

Go to "Private Messages" folder.
    Click the "Show Messages From: [last 10 days]" thingie and highlight "the beginning"
    Delete what you want.

Do the same thing for the "Jump to folder: [Inbox]" to do the "Sent Items" folder.

Do the same thing for the "Jump to folder: [Inbox]" to do the "Message Tracking" folder.

That should cure things.

Be sure to delete items you don't want in

"Private Messages"
    "Sent Items"
    "Message Tracking"
    Last edited by chuckc; 12-30-2007 at 07:31 PM.

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.
    I think I asked this before but is there an easy way to export all PM's to a text document ?

Originally posted by chuckc
    You asked. ZRXBubba replied that copy and paste is the easiest way.

Originally posted by CHRISPY
    Yeah, I remember now. The copy and paste thing was taking forever and the format was all messed up.

No export option in the vBulletin software, huh ? Bummer..............

Last edited by chuckc; 12-30-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Outta sight Hooligan
    Part-time Crash-test Dummy
    Recently promoted to full-time dombie

Multiple Recipients

chuck,

If you want to send a private message to multiple recipients and you're going to just type the names in b/c they are not all in your buddies list, how do you separate the names? Comma, semi-colon, etc.?

Thanks,

Erto

Originally posted by Steve St.Laurent
    You can't send to multiple people in this version. The new version we'll be running soon allows you to do that and they are seperated by semicolons on that version.

Last edited by chuckc; 12-30-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Hooligan

Re: PRIVATE MESSAGES / EMPTYING MAILBOXES

Hello, I have a NOOB problem here. I was able to PM people. But when I responded to their PM my mail does not send, nothing shows in the Sent folder. But it does indicate that there are messages that have been "Stored".

How can I change this so the messages are Sent and not Stored?

In Charge of McGov Only

Quote Originally Posted by RILED View Post
    Hello, I have a NOOB problem here. I was able to PM people. But when I responded to their PM my mail does not send, nothing shows in the Sent folder. But it does indicate that there are messages that have been "Stored".

There is no option to store your message. These are the only options, don't know what you are looking at.

My Messages
    Inbox
    Sent Items
    Send New Message
    Track Messages
    Edit Folders

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    There is no option to store your message. These are the only options, don't know what you are looking at.

My Messages
    Inbox
    Sent Items
    Send New Message
    Track Messages
    Edit Folders
    Option: Have your messages copied to your regular email account and store them as you wish from there.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by RILED View Post

I have the same problem. I respond to PMs and I go to my SENT folder and see nothing there...so I dont know if they got it or not. How can I know?
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by 96SHOx View Post
    I have the same problem. I respond to PMs and I go to my SENT folder and see nothing there...so I dont know if they got it or not. How can I know?
    At the top of any page on this board, click on the "Settings" button in the upper right. Then select "General Settings" from the left side menu that pops up. Scroll down in General Settings until you see the Private Message settings. There you will see that you can select whether sent messages are saved to your sent folder or not. Select save sent messages and you should be good to go.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    At the top of any page on this board, click on the "Settings" button in the upper right. Then select "General Settings" from the left side menu that pops up. Scroll down in General Settings until you see the Private Message settings. There you will see that you can select whether sent messages are saved to your sent folder or not. Select save sent messages and you should be good to go.

TG
    2002 ZRX1200r
    '02 F4i (sold)
    '94 SECAii (sold)