+ Reply to Thread
    KING of BLINGWICH...with a dash of mayo
    his bearings ain't right

GoPro charging question

It just hit me that you charge this thing with a usb cable. Also noticed that it is the same plug as my cell phone. Since I won't have my laptop at Skeenah, do you think charging it with my cell charger will hurt anything??

Hooligan

Re: GoPro charging question

Nope.

If you're really worried, check to make sure it's close to 5V - 1A (I'm sure it is.)

Just charged mine for the first time on my gps's charger last night.
    "Those now old and wise, once were young and...otherwise."

Jethro

Seeing as I have 3 of the things, charging has been an issue. I use 'em constantly and had to find a solution.

My cell phone, a 5 year old Motorola Q that still does just fine for me, use's the same plug....mini usb or whatever.......can use it.........they make chargers for it that plug into the cig lighter or wall now also.

What I have done, cause it never fails, I either do not have power where I'm at, it's a pain to get to it, or I grab the wrong friggn cord to take
    I bought a little self contained battery charger thingy. It is really sweet, about the size of a deck of cards but 1/2 the thickness. You charge it up at home, put it in it's little pouch, and take it ANYWHERE. Comes with adaptors for every single thing you could want to charge, just change out the quick connect end on the 4 inch cord and plug it into your device. Will charge it, and can use it while charging. I have yet to kill the capacity of the thing....and have taken it out on the REX with 2 cams going testing mounting positions. Recharged both batteries with it while on the road and came home with it at 1/2 a charge still left. Could power my Ipod with it for 10 hours easy at half charge I bet. Cost like 35 bucks...I love it.....gonna be a boon in Skeenah....no more dead batteries when the filming gets good

his bearings ain't right

Again, I am thinking of these things at the last friggin minute. Typical.

Jethro, did you get away from the rig you had last year or are you still using it too?

I am looking forward to checking out everybody's filming techniques and gear as I am a complete newb to this.

Jethro

No, use it too..........for pure quality, even though it is not HD, but lowly 520 lines of resolution, the optics are better and it films the best. It is a pain to deal with, 'cause ya gotta bring along its support team of wires n batteries n a recording device....

The GP's are cool 'cause they are small and self contained. Can be stuck anywhere, easy to set, positive, a pleasure to use. Their down is the friggin fish eye lens ......just too wide I feel, so I set the camera to shoot in mode 5, the highest HD ...like 1920 or close, as it changes the lens angle to 50 degree's less and the effect is less noticeable.

you will love the camera, simple to use and can stick it anywhere. I have gone crazy with them.....three mounts on my helmet, two on fairing, one on the tail, stick the suction cup mount everywhere(my fav mount), have a headband for it(drunken excursions into the YTRAP grounds after dark can now be remembered due to modern technology and the ability to capture a still 5 mega pixel image every 2 seconds for hours on a 32 gig memory card) , a chest strap mount, a tripod mount, and a egg timer revolving mount

his bearings ain't right

Cool. We shall share a beer and you can enlighten me on your methods ole obie wan.....

his bearings ain't right

Have you used the suction mount on the front fender yet??? I was looking at that tonight wondering what it would look like and if it would shake too much. I am willing to bet it would stick there.

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's
    HeLLInoise, the land of very little positive

Quote Originally Posted by flying dave View Post
    It just hit me that you charge this thing with a usb cable. Also noticed that it is the same plug as my cell phone. Since I won't have my laptop at Skeenah, do you think charging it with my cell charger will hurt anything??
    Get a car charger that plugs into yer ciggy/accessory outlet with a USB port, they have them at Walmart.

SS
    YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek forever remembered.
    How the REX makes me feel.

You don't do the right thing because there's a penalty for doing the wrong thing, you do the right thing because it's the right thing!
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

New, but just to this Board

Jethro, where did you get that charger for your GoPro, and do you know the Name/Brand of the charger?

Thanks, David

Jethro

Best Buy energizer

john1263

The suction mount is awesome

Rick666

I've been plugging mine into a USB port on my computer to charge it since the day I got it, that was over a year ago. Same cable I use for my cellphone since I lost the original charger....

BadAss Hooligan

i used the suction cup mount on the fairing. stuck like glue. but i wasnt in video mode. it did shake a bit

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

Another option is to get a Wasabi Battery and Charging Kit for the GoPro for $19.99 on Amazon. It comes with two batteries and a charger that plugs into wall sockets or car accessory ports. The batteries seem to last a bit longer than the OEM ones, but YMMV.
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)