+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss
    Polish-American

Living in DavidABQ's second home, a cardboard box outside a strip club in beautiful downtown Corunna, Michigan.

Argon regulator repair. Anyone?

I've got a Victor HVTS argon regulator w/flow meter that is leaking in a few spots. I don't know anything about them, are they able to be rebuilt by nonprofessionals? I know it's just old, dry o-rings and such that are leaking, but I'd rather not damage myself or the regulator if I do something wrong.

Any ideas?

These things are $3-400 new I think I'll get mine fixed.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Argon regulator repair. Anyone?

Let me check at work tomorrow.
    scotty1122@zoomtown.com

Need something transported?

(Trucks, cars, bikes, campers, trailers etc.)

11/22 Transport, LLC

ZRXBubba

Where is it leaking from ya skirt wearer?

BadAss Hooligan

I design specialty pressure regulators for a living, so I may be able to help you.

I'm not very familiar with this model, but most Victor regulators use a rubber diaphragm and a cartridge valve. The top (bonnet) unscrews and there may be a thrust bearing type of ring under the bonnet to prevent the diaphragm from twisting when the bonnet is tightened.

There is likely a threaded part in the center of the diaphragm to engage the nozzle pintle on the valve cartridge.

How is the regulator leaking? If you back off the pressure adjustment does it constantly leak, or does it only leak when you turn the pressure up?

If it constantly leaks with the output pressure backed off, your valve cartridge or cartridge to body seal is leaking. If you get leakage when you turn up the pressure, the diaphragm may be shot.

We make lots of high pressure regulators that can easily handle the 2000+ psi of an argon cylinder. But, we don't make welding gas regulators with the flow meter (rotameter) and flow control valve.

I might be able to "find" you a replacement regulator if you can reuse the CGA 590 nut and nipple, and the flowmeter.

Bill Clinton got $12 million for his memoirs
    Hillary Clinton got $8 million for her memoirs
    That's a lot of money for two people who, under oath,
    could not remember anything!

BadAss Hooligan

argons good

keeps me warmer underwater
    ZRXOA #7915 ~ BOTM January 2013
    SNERR#23 and SNEWR member in good standing

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyCutter View Post
    You just can't run around high on meth, armed to the teeth with zombie apocalypse weapony, tasing bitches. It's not normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoRay31 View Post
    Republic lost. Let's ride bikes until they come for the guns.
    NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BadAss
    Polish-American

Living in DavidABQ's second home, a cardboard box outside a strip club in beautiful downtown Corunna, Michigan.

Here's where it's leaking. The diaphrams both front and back. The thing that sucks is I always have music on when I'm in the garage. If I had turned it off a few months ago, I would have heard the leak. I probably lost 1/2 of a big Airgas 300 tank.... Lesson learned, check the for leaks when attaching a new cylinder.

BadAss
    Polish-American

Hooligan

Our local Welding supply / Gas dealer sends our reg's out to be rebuilt. About a 2 week turn around. Come back pretty and gauranteed.
    jeffcoll #116

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

I had a 10 year old victor regulator go bad and my local welding supplier (I buy all my gas there) sent it out for repair and gave me a loaner while it was gone. When it came back it was a no charge repair per Victor.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699

Click here to join mi_rexers

<<<<<

Click here to join the Michigan rexers mail
    list to hook up for local rides, etc.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss
    Polish-American

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    I had a 10 year old victor regulator go bad and my local welding supplier (I buy all my gas there) sent it out for repair and gave me a loaner while it was gone. When it came back it was a no charge repair per Victor.
    I'm going to call Airgas tomorrow and see what they'll do.

Thanks Steve!

ZRXBubba

BadAss
    Polish-American

ZRXBubba

Separated it into two pieces so it would fit in the box. Even YOU should be able to figure out how to put it back together

Have to get some more packing material and then probably Friday it will be mailed USPS.

BadAss
    Polish-American

You're the MAN, Man. Owe you one or three.

Next we meet, dinner's on me.

ZRXBubba

In the able and competent hands of the USPS Dropped at Post Office this PM and sent Priority.

BadAss
    Polish-American

Thanks Buddy, I owe you one!!

ZRXBubba

Don't sweat it.

Oh yeah, if your old regulator is no good (too expensive to fix) KEEP the flow meter, that's usually what gets broken.