+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 53
  1. #1
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Peoria, IL

    I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    OK. I'm not bashing ALL LEO's, I would never do that. They do a job that is very needed. Some of them do it because they want to help, and some are bullies. These bullies need to go.

    I'm not feeling well, and it was a friends birthday. I decide I'm not going to make the 3hr round trip to her work and say happy day and all that. She gets upset and after an hour i decide I'll do it anyway. Bear with me folks.

    So I'm going down rt 116 towards rt 26 (a great and heavily motorcycled route), and I see a State Trooper pull over a lane and ride in my blind spot for about a mile or so. Finally he pulls in behind me, and I know what's coming ... but I can't figure out why. (ok, I know a reasons, but he shouldn't know that yet ... I'm on a suspended license). Anywho, so his lights go on and I pull over, turn the bike off, put the kickstand down and don't move.

    He informs me that my exhaust is illegal. (?!?) I say "Excuse me? I wasn't aware that D and D exhaust systems were Illegal in the state of IL." and he said "Any modification to raise the DB level of a motorcycle is illegal."

    Then he tries to warm up to me by saying "I used to ride bikes like these (wtf does that mean?). But that exhaust is illegal."

    OK ... I made the can shorter, but this is otherwise a DND carbon can exhaust. It's louder than stock, duh, but please. My dog barks louder than a stock ZRX. SO, he's writes me up for that, some bs license plate thing, the suspended license (my fault, not arguing) .....

    BUT REALLY?!? What about the 10 HD'S that went buy, or the kid with NO exhaust on the bike that (not kidding) did a wheelie past us down the highway?!? No, he decides he's pulling over the kid on the ZRX riding the speed limit not changing lanes, not weaving, not speeding not racing away ... just enjoying a cruise on a great day!


    DAMNIT I mean, I'm normally a fan of LEO's, but every once in a while these guys really get on my nerves. I seriously had to go home, sit down, and take some deep breaths.

    So what do i do, get another exhaust can?

  2. #2
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    From My Cold Dead Hands
    FadStarter

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    lucky you weren't in CA

    ... you would have had to take those deep breaths in jail cell

    good luck with the ticket

  3. #3
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Naperville, Il.

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Illinois is going bankrupt like Cali. You're gonna hear a lot more of this ridiculous crap. Renewed my truck plates yesterday and they tacked on xtra $ to buy the Troopers more gear. Can't wait for my next encounter....it's gonna cost me
    2003 Green.....
    striking green paint, mind you

    Proud Member of the YTRAP Fan Club

    Ross 12.5-1 pistons.. ZZR cams .. Head ported .. Racetech ...Carl's clutch hub w/ Hyperplates Aluminum clutch plates (all work performed by Ed46 and crew @ 4&6 Racing) Works Racer shocks .. Greg's fork brace .. Tsukigi Ti exhaust/Frame braces.. Chrispy's damper ..Sargent seat, 007 martini-shaker mod.......more to come





  4. #4
    The Voice Of Reason
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Under a Rock

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1094 View Post

    So what do i do, get another exhaust can?

    Not unless the ticket is "inspection required"

    otherwise, suck it up.
    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  5. #5
    2010 YTRAP Award Winner
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Oriskany Falls, freekin' NY

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by wfo3717 View Post
    Illinois is going bankrupt like Cali. You're gonna hear a lot more of this ridiculous crap. Renewed my truck plates yesterday and they tacked on xtra $ to buy the Troopers more gear. Can't wait for my next encounter....it's gonna cost me
    Talked to a Penn State Trooper recently, say's he hasn't been paid in a couple of weeks or more. Good ol' governor won't sign the budget or something so no state employees are getting paid.

    They ain't gonna raise taxes.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe, November, 1995

    "this planet is one giant retard factory" - philobeddoe, 2009-12-03

  6. #6
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ennis, Texas

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    uuuhhhmm,

    D&D's are really loud, I can only imagine how loud a bulldogged one is!

    I honestly see more of this in the future....................

  7. #7
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA "The Mudflats"

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    now that the CHP is ticketing for no rear reflectors & other bs items, think I'll leave the stock pipe on for awhile....stealth mode...
    "Enjoy the ride!"

  8. #8
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    98045

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDave View Post
    now that the CHP is ticketing for no rear reflectors .
    I don't see how they can get away with this. Your taillight lens IS a reflector.

    When I lived in Sacramento they were doing this to only sport bike riders and leaving the douche bag hd riders alone, even for exhaust.

  9. #9
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Experienced, seasoned cops can smell a violation a mile away.

    Sounds like you were much closer than that...........
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  10. #10
    I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On the Group W bench....

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Experienced, seasoned cops can smell a violation a mile away.


    Even if they can't find Waffle House?
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

    '99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO


    "The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

    Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama


    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  11. #11
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Even if they can't find Waffle House?


    I didn't say anything about directions..........

    Besides, if KWICK had given me better directions so many years ago, this wouldn't even be an on-going issue.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  12. #12
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Peoria, IL

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 04_red_z-rex View Post
    uuuhhhmm,

    D&D's are really loud, I can only imagine how loud a bulldogged one is!

    I honestly see more of this in the future....................

    Actually this one isn't that bad. I've been next to aluminum ones that are way louder, and my friends Jardine is FAR louder than this.

  13. #13
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Peoria, IL

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    nah, not inspection required, so i guess I'm all gravy then. MAN it just pisses me off that this is what it's coming down to. Sigh.

    Oh well, what's a few hundred more hours of community service.

  14. #14
    I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On the Group W bench....

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    I grew up just outside Springfield and have no intention of ever going back to Illinois, partly due to chickenshit things like that.

    I hate that state.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

    '99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO


    "The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

    Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama


    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  15. #15
    Urban Cowboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The middle of where?

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Heck, I got stopped the other night...taillights on my beater truck quit working. Glad I didn't find out it was $1 bottles at Show-Me's until 2 minutes to 9 when the $1 bottles promo ended...only had time for 1. Cop didn't check insurance or registration...just asked for an ID (didn't even specify whether or not the ID had to be a DL...but I handed him my DL anyway). I stepped out of the truck to see for myself, and sure'nuff they wasn't on. I hit my 4-ways, and they worked, so the cop told me I could run like that to get home.

    Didn't even give me a verbal warning to get it fixed...and that was in Illinois too just 2 weeks ago.

    So now, if I drive my 3-brake, cracked windshield, no exhaust Ranger anywhere, I just gotta be home by dark cuz it ain't got no tail lights either.




    2001 Mack CH613
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1996 Ford F-250
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1986 Ford Ranger
    1947 Ford 8N

  16. #16
    Super Moderator
    Have guns.
    YOU travel.

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Loveland, CO..

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by JBoz View Post
    Talked to a Penn State Trooper recently, say's he hasn't been paid in a couple of weeks or more. Good ol' governor won't sign the budget or something so no state employees are getting paid.

    They ain't gonna raise taxes.
    Has he heard of the labor board? Even state agencies can't have slaves......yet. I'd be in a lawyers office.

  17. #17
    2009 Hooligan of the year
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRex02 View Post
    I don't see how they can get away with this. Your taillight lens IS a reflector.
    Check again. The taillight lens refracts light. It does not reflect it.

  18. #18
    2009 Hooligan of the year
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 04_red_z-rex View Post
    uuuhhhmm,

    D&D's are really loud, I can only imagine how loud a bulldogged one is!
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.


    I'm honestly surprised I never got tagged for my un-corked Muzzy Meg.

  19. #19
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Living in a van by the river

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    There are the guys who get sent away for crimes they didn't do, but never got caught for other crimes they did do.

    And we've all been ticked for stupid stuff while not being ticketed for things we should have been. Sure, I'll take the ticket for 72 in a 55 zone because I'm glad it's not for the 120 I was doing earlier.

    So suck it up, Mojo. You're guilty of something, sometime, somewhere. It's karma catching up with you.
    Last edited by MotoBuddha; 08-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.


    Travel kills ignorance.

  20. #20
    Parts Vulture!
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    As far from PC as possible.

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Limited GM View Post
    Has he heard of the labor board? Even state agencies can't have slaves......yet. I'd be in a lawyers office.
    No checkie no workie,I'd stay home till I was paid.
    Loctite...a Harleys best friend.


  21. #21
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1094 View Post
    He informs me that my exhaust is illegal. (?!?) I say "Excuse me? I wasn't aware that D and D exhaust systems were Illegal in the state of IL." and he said "Any modification to raise the DB level of a motorcycle is illegal."

    So what do i do, get another exhaust can?
    He should have written the STATE or LOCAL law you broke on the ticket. Read it CAREFULLY and look for anything that tells you just how loud it can be (dB limit, etc). Most of them have some kind of vague statements.

    Problem with D&D systems is that although they aren't really louder than most others, their sound is more OBNOXIOUS.

    OK, just read the IL law and the burden of proof is on you to prove your exhaust does not emit more "noise" than the OEM system.
    RC-Bearings.com:
    When steel just isn't enough!

    "old go-fast guys have no wrinkles on the inside" Gordon Jennings, 1931-2000 RIP

    Twiggy (Slim but NOT an anorexic wench!)
    1999 Faster green one! (gone but not forgotten)

  22. #22
    Kojak's buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Windsor, California

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Hey...IMO...LEO's are all good....as long as THEY leave ME alone.
    ZRXOA member#3925
    -"YESTERDAY'S answers....have NOTHING to do....with TODAY'S questions."
    Dave Mustaine

    -"Just because you've been taught that something is right...and everybody
    thinks it's right...that STILL don't make it right."
    Jim to Huck
    Quote Originally Posted by andi1978 View Post
    I'd be somebody's K-Fed.

  23. #23
    Urban Cowboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The middle of where?

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsky View Post
    He should have written the STATE or LOCAL law you broke on the ticket. Read it CAREFULLY and look for anything that tells you just how loud it can be (dB limit, etc). Most of them have some kind of vague statements.

    Problem with D&D systems is that although they aren't really louder than most others, their sound is more OBNOXIOUS.

    OK, just read the IL law and the burden of proof is on you to prove your exhaust does not emit more "noise" than the OEM system.
    (625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
    Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
    Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
    (Source: P. A. 77‑37.)

    Anything louder than stock is illegal...




    2001 Mack CH613
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1996 Ford F-250
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1986 Ford Ranger
    1947 Ford 8N

  24. #24
    RIP 6/29/19
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Down the rabbit hole

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1094 View Post
    I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...


    Yer not alone - my sister like cops AND firemen. We have to sedate her if she hears a siren.
    [center]


  25. #25
    Kojak's buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Windsor, California

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc View Post
    Yer not alone - my sister like cops AND firemen. We have to sedate her if she hears a siren.
    Does she dial 911 regularly? They say it'll make a cop come
    ZRXOA member#3925
    -"YESTERDAY'S answers....have NOTHING to do....with TODAY'S questions."
    Dave Mustaine

    -"Just because you've been taught that something is right...and everybody
    thinks it's right...that STILL don't make it right."
    Jim to Huck
    Quote Originally Posted by andi1978 View Post
    I'd be somebody's K-Fed.

  26. #26
    Urban Cowboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The middle of where?

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc View Post
    Yer not alone - my sister like cops AND firemen. We have to sedate her if she hears a siren.




    2001 Mack CH613
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1996 Ford F-250
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1986 Ford Ranger
    1947 Ford 8N

  27. #27
    Needs constant supervision
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wrong G.D. side of the Planet

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsky View Post
    He should have written the STATE or LOCAL law you broke on the ticket. Read it CAREFULLY and look for anything that tells you just how loud it can be (dB limit, etc). Most of them have some kind of vague statements.

    Problem with D&D systems is that although they aren't really louder than most others, their sound is more OBNOXIOUS.

    OK, just read the IL law and the burden of proof is on you to prove your exhaust does not emit more "noise" than the OEM system.
    Id say since he popped you riding on suspended drivers license you shut and take your lumps....dang lucky your not sitting in jail. Forget the exhaust its a minor problem....try your insurance is invalid becuase your on a suspended license. Try you could have been hauled to jail and spend 6 ~12 months for this infraction.

    WTF are you doing riding on a suspended license? are we all 18 again and stupid? Seriously....thats asking for some serious trouble.

    And like i said had you been in an accident your automatically at fault and your insurance company will not pay a dime.
    I love the sound of screaming rubber and burning women!

    95% of the time stayin in the gas will save ya.

    The other 5% of the time it ends the suspense right now!!!

  28. #28
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Id say since he popped you riding on suspended drivers license you shut and take your lumps....dang lucky your not sitting in jail. Forget the exhaust its a minor problem....try your insurance is invalid becuase your on a suspended license. Try you could have been hauled to jail and spend 6 ~12 months for this infraction.

    WTF are you doing riding on a suspended license? are we all 18 again and stupid? Seriously....thats asking for some serious trouble.

    And like i said had you been in an accident your automatically at fault and your insurance company will not pay a dime.
    RC-Bearings.com:
    When steel just isn't enough!

    "old go-fast guys have no wrinkles on the inside" Gordon Jennings, 1931-2000 RIP

    Twiggy (Slim but NOT an anorexic wench!)
    1999 Faster green one! (gone but not forgotten)

  29. #29
    Color Monitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Also, be aware that most, if not all, aftermarket systems are either stamped or it's in the paperwork; "For Off road Use Only"



    TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!


  30. #30
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    John's Island, South Carolina

    Re: I'm not anti-LEO but they make it so hard ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1094 View Post
    What about the 10 HD'S that went buy, or the kid with NO exhaust on the bike that (not kidding) did a wheelie past us down the highway?!? No, he decides he's pulling over the kid on the ZRX riding the speed limit not changing lanes, not weaving, not speeding not racing away ... just enjoying a cruise on a great day!


    I said something along those lines once.

    The officer's answer:

    Well I can't pull everyone now can I?


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB