+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cancer sucks

BadAss Hooligan

Cancer sucks

Recuperating at home from my first major surgery and hopefully my last, had my left kidney removed along with a 4 pound tumor ( Complete nephrectomy)

Prior to Feb 2016 the only symptom was lower back pain that I now know was the large mass pushing the kidney out of the way and pulling on tissues.

Early Feb 2016 I had a minor snowmobile crash crossing a trail and landed on a wooden fence post in my left kidney area, just knocked the wind out of me and I continued to ride and rode back to hotel (riding in Montana) that night it really started to hurt in left kidney area and when I got up to piss in the early morning I noticed it was bright red with blood, next morning I drove to Idaho Falls Idaho and went to a urgent care clinic, they examined me and said it was common to piss blood from impacts in that area and gave me some pain pills, I drove 10 hours back home and the next day I was still pissing blood and pain was out of control, went to see my Dr, he also said its common to pass blood with impacts in that area but the pain I was in worried him more, he ordered a CT scan that day and my journey of endless tests started

a large mass/tumor was discovered on my kidney and after weeks of Dr visits and tests we decided to remove it all as the kidney was not functioning or barely functioning, April 14 I had robotic kidney surgery and spent 3 days in the hospital and am doing great now, tumor was sent to lab for testing and cancer was fully encapsulated in kidney and all cancer was removed with the 4 pound tumor.

so luckily living with one kidney is very common and comes with no side affects since my right kidney is operating great and now I am cancer free thanks to that snowmobile crash!

just thought I would share, ya just never know what is going on inside your body, this was quite a shock to me and an emotional roller coaster that is finally slowing down
    Last edited by superdave; 04-25-2016 at 02:11 PM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used to be....

Re: Cancer sucks

Similar story to someone I work with, he had a similar surgery 3 weeks ago. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery, things like this can serve as a wake-up call to making changes in life. Hard to decide when and if we need to visit the doctor, a co-worker's brother ignored what his body was telling him, finally went and he had colon cancer but was to late to do anything. Glad you are getting better and best wishes.

BadAss Hooligan

Scary story, Dave, and glad to hear that the cancer was isolated and your prognosis is good. Thanks for sharing. It's coincidental that you posted that today, because one of my co-workers sent out the following note late last week:

Since many of you would ask what’s up I thought I would let you know. Last Monday I had a CT Scan and learned I have a 9cm mass on my left kidney. About the size of a small apple. Certainly a surprise to me and not what I thought was causing grumbling intestines. A few weeks ago I had some pain which prompted a doctor visit and the scan. I have heard people say that pain is your friend and in this case that was true. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday. The plan is to remove the mass and my kidney. All tests so far show no other areas of concern which is good. I have 2 more scans this week to confirm this good news. The surgery should remove the problem and I will live many more years with one kidney. I am sure glad God gave me two of those.

Pretty similar story, drives home the importance of paying attention to what your body is telling you, and to get it checked out when it tells you something. This is a lesson I need to learn, because while I'm fortunate to be healthy, going to see a doctor is usually a last resort for me.

Beetle Bagged Hooligan
    KotF Firestarter

That's awesome man, good luck & I hope for the best on your part it's 100% gone
    My Dad's had 2 "minor" surgeries and Dr's say he's good, hate that cancer shit....

I totaled my sled 3 years ago (bruised pelvis, shoulder blade, jammed right thumb, put a hole in my tongue) and worsened a herniated disc my insurance co says I don't need surgery for (2 MRI + 2 different surgeons agree it needs fixing). Pain mgt pills/ shots, PT, chiropractor- done them all on my dime due to co-pays.
    I live with taking 1000mg of Excedrin every morning, another 500mg around 7pm.
    "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

ZRXOA # 5243

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Well Done.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  45.0 KB

Congratulations on Cancer Free!!!

Keep up the good work.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

May you recover fully and quickly Dave!!!!

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    [B]...tumor was sent to lab for testing and cancer was fully encapsulated in kidney and all cancer was removed with the 4 pound tumor.
    When it comes to cancer, "all cancer was removed" is always a good thing to hear! Hopefully that will truly be the end of it!

BadAss Hooligan

So glad to hear you're okay, man.
    73' RD350
    02' ZRX 1200
    10' Multistrada 1200S Touring
    74' Honda CL450
    03' Shadow ACE 750 - Gone

ZRXOA# 8869

Thixotropic Hooligan

What a ride man, that kind of stuff is all consuming while it is going on.
    Glad to hear you are now a lighter speed machine.

Luck yes.

Hey Dave.
    Last edited by ClayX; 04-25-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    Do your own thing but don't touch mine

Member # 10

Hal #8 RIP

Funny Guy Hooligan
    &
    Camp Cook

Still in Jersey but out in farm country now.

Sounds like the start of a happy ending. Best wishes for a full, healthy recovery!
    And damn proud of it.

Got me a keeper!

"...shame lifes not easier but if it was we would lack the perspective nessasary to enjoy the times when we are ridin the crest of the wave......(if that makes no sense just assume its caring and helpful)........." G.

Calamity Gil

Everything happens for a reason. I hope it's (cancer) gone for good.
    ZRXOA membr #8704
    "It is not the strong but the responsive that survive."

BOTM Feb '13

BadAss Hooligan

Pretty sure this is the only time I've heard someone say they felt fortunate that they had crashed. I'm glad it worked out for you. Heal up and have fun.

When science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it.

Am I always a smartass? Nope. Sometimes I am asleep.

Life is better when you're laughing.

BadAss Hooligan

Glad to hear that they got all the cancer. Good luck with your recovery.

BadAss Hooligan

WOW ! That sounded real scary I'm happy your on the mend and am wishing for a full happy healthy recovery !!!

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

Good to hear that the cancer was contained in the tumor, although a four pound mass is pretty big. Hope you will continue to be healthy and cancer-free.

Although in this case your crash was a good thing, it would be prudent to avoid crashing in the future.
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

President Emeritus

Wow, Dave, what a crazy story.

So glad it worked out and it's now a great story for me to tell my wife that crashing could actually save my life.

New, but just to this Board

It will be 10 years July 5 when I had the same encapsulated kidney removed. A doctor told me to go and buy a lottery ticket. The only problem was that my right adrenal gland was also bad and removed 2 months later. Went to M.D. Anderson in Houston for kidney cancer update. They had one wing dedicated to that cancer. Great doctors ! They told me that this one of a few cancers that could also never return.
    Keep up with the scans and enjoy every day and thank God.

CarlM

My brother dislocated his hip almost crashing a Ninja in 1987. Ran wide went up a hill and put his leg out to hold the bike up. He died last week with cancer in his hip.

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

Born In The USA

Glad to hear you are getting better, Dave.

Sorry about your brother, Carl.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

I to had my left Kidney removed in 2009 and had a check up every year for 5 years and all is clear.
    you'll be fine with one kidney just carry on as normal but dont drink to much beer etc.
    I for one dont feel any side affect with just one kidney.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by johnakay View Post
    I to had my left Kidney removed in 2009 and had a check up every year for 5 years and all is clear.
    you'll be fine with one kidney just carry on as normal but dont drink to much beer etc.
    I for one dont feel any side affect with just one kidney.
    Thank you

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SUPER COMMANDO

Cancer REALLY REALLY SUCKS ! I 've had two good friends in the last 12 months pass from it . One past this last Sunday mourning . I knew him for over 35 years . I visited him on Saturday to tell him good bye . I'm so glad I did . You have to take the time to tell your friends good bye . They are the one's in pain and what good does it do to whisper about after the are gone .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

Born In The USA

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

It WILL fly!

Well, Dave, you might see that crash as a good thing 5 or so years down the road!

Your Title "Cancer Sucks" hit close to home for me, as my brother, also named Dave, sent an email to me a year ago with the exact same subject message. For him, it was prostate cancer. He had the surgery and is now cancer free. ...Boner free, also, and a newlywed to boot, but I'm sure he's glad to be alive and healthy.

Keep us updated as to your progress!

I'm not really pissed

Sorry to her about the circumstances, but it sounds like an overall win. Keep on keeping on Dave!
    Jesse

Member#8586

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    If it has tits or tires...............it's gonna give ya trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by winters19 View Post
    Be sure to pack your shit well!!!
    Nick

Hooligan

Glad it got discovered......luck in unluck one could say. Yup, treat that one kidney ya got left nice now.
    -99 ZRX1100 Mods:Jims_rex shifter upgrade, Kerker system/Race baffle, Greg Couch fork brace, Front forks:Racetech 1.1kgm/10W oil. Rear: Bitubo shocks.
    Kwick parts: 4+ Advancer, Tensioner tamer, No-flo's, petcock o-ring.
    I run on Pirelli's and Tuffoil.
    ZRXOA Member#9679
    Haosen Hawk 250 Dual sport (aka Chawasaki)