+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmets

BadAss Hooligan

Helmets

Anyone out there with first hand knowledge of Z1R helmets?

Same for HJC helmets?

Blue

kfoster
    HJC is very common. Pretty darned good for the $. I like to replace every few years, so they are a good choice. I also went through a bunch trying to get a comfortable helmet this spring. Tried Shoei, Nolan, ZR1, and a couple I don't recall. Ended up with a CL SP. Like it alot.

I am sure others will have other opinions. The HJC's are alot nicer than they used to be, better removable liners, decent shields, finish, vents, etc.

The fit is the thing!!!

The Young and the 'Rex-less
    Z1r was rated the safest helmet in one of the magazine's big tests....Even outdid the high end stuff....

kfoster
    I think I remember that. Was that not the Snell v/s DOT deal. Softer shells better than harder in the majority of get-offs?

BadAss Hooligan

I currently use a Z1R ...............

full coverage helmet. Bought after I read the article in one of the motorcycle mags. Paid about $115.00 for it out the door. It has a nice finish and the shield is easy to remove and replace. It has adequate ventilation and fits well. After a 1 1/2 years of use it shows no visible signs wear and tear. The inner lining is holding up well. For the money I think its a great value especially since it apparently protects the old noggin better than the higher priced brands. It is constructed so that the shell absorbs more of the impact lessening the G forces that cause serious to fatal head injuries. Many of the higher priced lids were made of more resistant materials which resulted in greater impact forces caused by impact deflection. In theory it works like the frame/shell of modern cars as opposed to the older, heavier, and less forgiving models of the past. I think the new Z1R helmets are both DOT and SNELL approved. When I bought mine it was only DOT approved. I think SNELL finally admitted to the accuracy of the article the was produced by the cycle mag.

BadAss Hooligan
    I just pulled the trigger on a Black Alloy Z1R Strike Star Helmet and an additional Dark Smoke Shield for $88.90 shipped!

I don't think it is Snell approved, but I'm not too concerned about that.

I used to wear Arais, but got tired of spending $500 for a quality helmet. My current helmet is an AGV that I picked up on clearance from Dennis Kirk last year for $119 shipped with a dark smoke shield. That helmet had black, silver and blue and matched by black '01 rex well.

That helmet kinda clashed with the '07 Burgundy Hayabusa I bought this past fall, that's why I was on the lookout for a helmet bargain.

I would definitely recommend to anyone that they get on Dennis Kirk's email list. They have these helmet sales periodically to get rid of their inventory on what I presume are the year old models. If I can save literally $400 on a new helmet, I don't care if it has last years paint scheme!

You don't need to be on their email list to find these bargains, but it is a lot easier! If you are looking for a helmet now, check out their website, you can save serious dinero!

Blue

It WILL fly!
    I have an HJC SyMax. I don't wear that one while riding the Rex. Good Helmet, though - all the HJC models fit my head nicely.

Never tried on a ZR1 simply because I never had the chance.

While on the ZRX, I have a KBC VR1 in matching green.

I also have a KBC FFR. I love that helmet.

Sir Whitworth Teal III
    All SEVEN of my bikes are lighter than Calista!
    I have an HJC AC12 Carbon. It's extremely light and VERY comfortable.
    KWICK sells really NICE radiators and other cool stuff!
    Check it all out here...

www.TealdoMoto.com

Ask me how you can learn to ride your bike with TOTAL CONTROL. www.totalcontroltraining.net

BadAss Hooligan
    Originally posted by Tealdo
    I have an HJC AC12 Carbon. It's extremely light and VERY comfortable.
    Nice...that's the one I was kinda lusting after, but that's over three bills (not a bad buy), and I just dropped six bills on some fork mods for the 'busa (to make those forks as good as the 'rex's )

Blue

Sir Whitworth Teal III
    All SEVEN of my bikes are lighter than Calista!
    I bought mine for $299.00.
    I found some podunk place online and had to wait three months for it but, I got it cheap and I love it!
    KWICK sells really NICE radiators and other cool stuff!
    Check it all out here...

www.TealdoMoto.com

Ask me how you can learn to ride your bike with TOTAL CONTROL. www.totalcontroltraining.net